OT - Eying a Colt SA 44

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Eying a Colt SA 44

Post by pwl44m »

I have been eying a Colt sa for quite a while thinking for some unknown reason that it was a 45. The price to Me seems quite high $1899. It has been in the store for a good little while, I'm thinking the price is why. It has Ivory Grips and I just found out today that it is a 1958 model It looks new and unfired. I was prepared to make an offer a couple weeks ago until I looked at the tag again and saw that it is a 44sp.That turned Me completely off as I want a 45lc to partner with My newley aquired 94 Trapper in 45. If it is unfired I might have a hard time making Myself shoot it.
So to buy a safe Queen does that price sound high or not. Looking down the road a peice for maybe a later trade or sumthin. The Guy in the shop said the Grips R worth at least $1000. Did Colt use real Ivory or what ? I dont know Colt or very much at all for that matter but there R some really Smart Dudes here. At least a couple Colt Guys. Am I beating a dead Horse or is it something one might pursue ? I think it is a consignment gun owned by a Woman, The shop owner said She has been advised maybe to lower the price.
A little Input Please, seems like that is all I ever want is a little input. But I am going to make another post to tell U what I picked up.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Eying a Colt SA 44

Post by rodeo kid »

Try looking Cabela's Websight in the gun Library. There are several 2d generation SAA's at various prices. Another good sight is Collector's Firearms in Houston. If the grips are real Ivory and it is as new it is well worth that price regardless of caliber. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

If the piece was made in 1958 it's a second generation. The "salesman" stating the grips are $1,000 is high for aftermarket ivory. If Colt made the grips then I'd be willing to pay that. The price isn't bad in my personal opinion for a Colt SAA 2nd gen. in good to excellent condition w/ivory. I'd just want to make sure it isn't messed with (check the numbers and make sure they match). Lot's of inscrupulous people out there messing with older Colt's trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you need help putting the first rounds through it call me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Old Savage wrote:If you need help putting the first rounds through it call me.
Now that's why I like this forum and it's character of members (or members who are characters :D ). Who else would step up like that, but someone from here. And, I'd wager there would be a whole lot more that would help you break that SAA in.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

rodeo kid wrote: If the grips are real Ivory and it is as new it is well worth that price regardless of caliber. God Bless.
I'd have to agree with the Kid. The gun itself without ivories is worth that but.........it sure helps to have the box.

On the other hand, collector prices are down--far down from just a year or two ago. Are the ivories Colt? How do they fit? Did they come with the gun? The original box would have this on it. A factory letter will also disclose this.

Yep, lots of questions but if you want to invest the bucks, you need to know the answers if you want a guaranteed monetary investment.-------then you need to keep it unfired------you really wanna do that?

Kimwcook also has some good advice. :wink:

If you don't care about money, then buy it and have a blast. Nobody but you is going to know the difference
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

As far as I know right now the answers to all the questions R Yes. I am going back to town Monday and will check. Nope scratch that, they r closed Mondays. Tue. then. The Gun belongs to the EX shop owners Wife. The Guy died about a yr or so ago and this is the last gun She has.I was told yesterday that it was Mfg in 1958 and the grips r real Ivory as they came on the Gun. Indeed a box will tell this. Will have to wait and see.I don't think it is going anywhere soon.
Just spent $6000 on a Ring for the Wife so the Gun should fly pretty easy. Only difference is that I will sell the Gun at a later date if the profit is enough but try to get Her to part with a Ring. Although She did trade in a Ring that I paid $500 for but didn't mean that much to Her. She got $865 trade in. now that's investment.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'd say it is worth it "even" in today's market. 2nd Gens are always a safe bet and the *general* trend has been upward, again even nowadays. Pretty rare in 44 Sp makes it moreso, "new" more yet, whether or not to you only you can say. On 2nd Gens, other-than-factory hard rubbers (unscientifically about 75%+ of them) or 2 piece walnuts (no more than 20%) - but still factory as claimed here - are rare.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have about a dozen first and second gen Colts. The Colt ivories are worth $700. Bought an early 3rd gen a couple of years ago with factory ivory and full blue from the custom shop. Cost was $2200 in 1972. Second gens are actually selling for about $1500 to $2000 for blue/cc with hard rubber. Maybe a little more if the box is with them. If this has the box and letters with the ivory it might be worth over $2000.

By the way, I'll bet that I've spent (lost) a couple hundred grand getting an education on early Colts. Still love 'em.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

M. M. Wright wrote:By the way, I'll bet that I've spent (lost) a couple hundred grand getting an education on early Colts. Still love 'em.
I haven't been bit that hard, but I've been bit and it was by an accquaintance that I thought I could trust. You need to do your homework or find someone you really trust that has. That's why I stated you need to check the numbers and look the piece over. Things should fit right.
Old Law Dawg
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

To M.M.Wright and Kimwcook- that is exactly why the Gun is still in the display case. And that is why I am here, there is enough collective Info here to Know what to look for. I dont trust the good OL Boys at the gun shows.I have drilled the Guy 3 times on the Ivory and each time He has the same story. I trust the Guy but the box should tell the whole story- No ? Even though it is not in the 45lc cal I am actually getting a little bit excited. The 1 plus it has for Me is the 7 1/2 in barrel.
OH!! on all the offers to help shoot it ! U have to bring Your own Ammo- sorry, I only have about a half box.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well where to start.Went and actually handled it today with rubber gloves supplied by the store (blue at that). I didn't notice the Paper it was laying on before that said "Serious Buyers Only"-- to be handled with gloves. well the gun has been shot, seems to be quite a lot but definitly not wore out. Nice and tight, locks up good with only the slightest of play. The Ivory grips is why U have to wear gloves. When I first looked at the bottom of the grips I thought they were cracked but it was actually growth rings ( remembered that from Pawn Stars )So I guess they R Real Ivory. according to the ser # it was made in late 1959. There is no box (bummer).
Now on the grips for U Colt Guys. They fit a little loose,is this normal for a 51 year old set of Ivory grips ? Then looking in the barrel it is nice and clean but the grooves seem really shallow and far apart. Is this normal as I can't see it being shot out by looking at the rest of the Gun.
I asked the shop Owner what would be a decent offer but He couldn't really say. He did say It had been in the display case for about 4 Yrs.The CC is just the way I like it, nice and subtle with no brite blue.
Almost forgot, the loading gate has a perfect fit and the CC matches but the number is not part of the ser #. I thought they were supposed to be part of the ser #. He said it was a pull No. in assy. What say U on this ?
Still a Nice looking Colt that I wouldn't mind shooting, just need more brass- bullets and dies. DOES IT STOP ?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The rifling in the barrel should have little rounded lands with wide grooves between them. From what you describe I would guess that it's just the way it should be. The ivories should fit very well with no overhangs anywhere. Do they have the Colt medallions ? One piece or two ? The grip screw may be blank on one (left) side. Not come all the way through, looks like one piece on the left. The grip screw will have brass escutcheons.

For the right price, Colt will tell you over the phone a lot of info then send you the letter. I know, it's $150 for the letter, without the extra for the phone call but might be worth it to not make a mistake. By the way that .44 special is usually good for an extra hundred or so. I had one fitted with a 44-40 cylinder too. Good combo.

Even if the ivories are aftermarket, it's probably worth the price.

M. M.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I don't own any 2nd or 3rd generation Colts but recently passed on a factory rebuilt 1912 SA .45 at $1400. I don't know why I passed on it, probably the 5 1/2" barrel. Not my favorite, but he had the letter to go along with the gun.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

So Mike, do U prefer a shorter barrel or a longer one ? For Me 7 1/2 is about right,10" just looks awkward. Gun Show this weekend, I have 2 tables so will have to wait till Tues to go make an offer.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My preference is the 4 3/4", followed by the 7 1/2". Gun Show? Where? I haven't attended a show in CA for several years. LV and Reno are my usual haunts.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Gun Show is in Yuba City. Don't know where You R at but We call this Northern Ca.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'm east and south a bit, but haven't seen a Yuba City GS in a good long while. Mebbe so I could make the 33 mile journey on Sat, especially since we haven't git a duck blind yet.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

All numbers should match, grips, gate, cylinder, frame, etc... If not it could be a military piece. It was common for armorers to mix match pieces on rebuild. The grips should fit snug. I would be suspect if they don't. It would depend on their fit to the grip frame. Ivory changes with temperature, altitude, care... If loose, but look like they were fit to the frame, I'd probably believe they were correct, but if loose and don't like they were fit to the frame, I'd think they were from a different piece. There's a whole book that could be written on buying used Colt SAA's.
Old Law Dawg
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Loading gates do not have the serial no. on them. That is a bin no. and is repeated on the frame, under the trigger guard. Barrels and cylinders haven't been serialized since before 1900.

M. M.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Good on the loading gate, that is what the Guy at the shop said. As for the Cylinder, it has the full ser#.I don't think He will let Me take the grips off as they R one piece grips.
For the loose fit on the grips, it is not that bad but noticeble. They do look like they fit really good at one time. When I get it Home I will take some pics and post them. YES it is coming Here, at what Price ?- that is yet to be determined. Might as well bite the bullet so to speak while We r in this economic slump. I am not going to start collecting Colts so I don't think I will get hurt on this one. Shoot You Guys have given Me enough Info to get Me on the road.

@ Mike D, would love to meet up with U at the show in Y.C. Sounds like U might be somewhere around Rocklin.