Adjusting rear sight with lighter bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Adjusting rear sight with lighter bullets

Post by foxtrapper »

In general if your switching to a lighter bullet, having the rifle already sighted in with a heavier bullet , which way will the rear sight need to go ,up or down?
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Adjusting rear sight with lighter bullets

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Foxtrapper,
Lighter, faster bullets tend to shoot lower believe it or not. So I would say raising the rear sight would be the case.

However..................

You're gonna have to shoot it to really know.

:D :D Have fun!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Lighter, faster bullets tend to shoot lower believe it or not. So I would say raising the rear sight would be the case.
At short range yes. It might depend on where you're zeroed.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Follow up- what if you run out of adjustment ,having raised the rear sight all the way , will I need a shorter or taller front sight :?: Thanks
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

It depends upon what kind of firearm/caliber you're shooting. In handguns and slow rifle cartridges, lighter bullets tend to shoot lower because they're in the barrel for a shorter time and recoil has less time to act on them. In most rifle cartridges, you'll find lighter bullets will print higher at say 100 yards because recoil time is less of an issue, but the faster bullets have less time for gravity to act on them.

As far as your front sight, it's opposite the rear. If you needed to move the rear sight down, the front sight would need to go up to get the same effect.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

It's a Marlin 1895 in 50AK. I have been shooting the Cast Performance 525 grain cast bullet with great success :D I had a 375 grain.510 mold made for my Blackhawk in .510GNR . It dawned on my me to give it a try with the 50AK. I have loaded up twenty rounds or so starting with the same powder weight that I use with the 525gr. I hope this works out , it would lead to more range time and a good whitetail bullet!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Foxtrapper,
I would shoot it at 25-50yards on a large target to see where you're hitting. If it's fairly close, move it back to 100yds.

As far as front sights go.....

hitting low, shorter front sight

hitting high, taller front sight

Hope this helps, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Thanks