Where to find a Crescent Stock and forearm for Oct Barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Where to find a Crescent Stock and forearm for Oct Barrel

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have had some people here give me such good advise on a build im doing so I figured I would ask one more question to the public here.

Im looking for a crescent style buttstock that will fit on a post 64 Winchester 94. The rifle was made in 1979. I am also looking for a forearm that will fit the same rifle which will now have a Octagon barrel on it.

None of the stock makers I can find make one anymore. I have contacted a few of them only to get the reply that they dont make one.

If anyone knows of somewhere to get one....OR....if they have some they would sell I would be very grateful for any info or help.

Thanks
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Where to find a Crescent Stock and forearm for Oct Barrel

Post by mod71alaska »

MGW has post-64 Winchester stocks. I'd call rather than rely on their listed inventory. http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi Of course, also check ebay.

Good luck!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Treebone carving www.treebonecarving.com
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Might want to visit with these folks http://www.macongunstocks.net/wincheste ... s_105.html
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks guys for all the help. I will try those listed above and see if they have anything.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Got a set from Precision Gun Works for an 1892 and their finishing kit with files and chisels.
The fit is close. I'm waiting for the wood to acclimatize to north central AZ before I do the final fitting.

Bill
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I was going to say +1 to www.precisiongunstocks.com - same as Precision Gun Works. I can't seem to bring up the site right now so don't know if that's me or the site. Seems to me I remembered a "cowboy" set up for late 94s (post 64s)...but that may be a carbine (butt stock etc) kit and not long gun. Still, worth a call to them.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Midway did sell the forearms, octagon and round. I went with the pre 64 forearm and endcap. It will fit on a post 64. The pre 64 endcap is a little smaller and forearm not as bulky. But I would get what ever style forearm cap you find and that will dictate wether to go with post or pre 64.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gak wrote:I was going to say +1 to http://www.precisiongunstocks.com - same as Precision Gun Works. I can't seem to bring up the site right now so don't know if that's me or the site. Seems to me I remembered a "cowboy" set up for late 94s (post 64s)...but that may be a carbine (butt stock etc) kit and not long gun. Still, worth a call to them.

I talked to Precision and they said they dont make any for the post 64. Said the demand is just not high enough.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

If this is still available, it'd be worth it to have to give to a stock maker to pattern off of (ie, assuming you don't want the medallion cut out) They also show a checkered for $10 more, which again doesnt matter if just using it for a template.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Det ... ck&catid=0

Didn't see a forend but that'd be easier to find/figure out.
(Numrich, Brownells etc used to sell a set for a Post 64 commemorative of some sort, with flat--not crescent--buttstock, but the forend would be the same regardless).
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

What is and how much of a difference are the Pre 64 stocks compared to the Post 64 stocks?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Rube, I am watching this post intently as I am doing the same build at the same time. Please let me know of any sources you come up with. I also have an idea, I just have to get the guy to call me back. I'll let you know what I find. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

fordwannabe wrote:Hey Rube, I am watching this post intently as I am doing the same build at the same time. Please let me know of any sources you come up with. I also have an idea, I just have to get the guy to call me back. I'll let you know what I find. Tom

So far the best source from above is www.treebonecarving.com

He said he makes them. They are 317.00 delivered in Select Standard with a 2 month lead time from paid order.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The guy i asked uses a stock duplicator and if we can find one to use as a template(or if he has one) he won't be that expensive, but he hasn't called me back yet. I will let you know when I find out. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

fordwannabe wrote:The guy i asked uses a stock duplicator and if we can find one to use as a template(or if he has one) he won't be that expensive, but he hasn't called me back yet. I will let you know when I find out. Tom

Sounds good. Thanks.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Rube, the stock maker and I have been playing phone tag for 2 days but I just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten you. Bye the way I just bought a post 94 with the long barrel in 30-30 from a guy on Marlinowners all the parts are already on it except it has a regular stock. I will prolly still get the 38-55 barrel and slowly put one together since I now have an extra project 94 in addition to this long barreled 30-30. My thought is it will be just as cheap to build another whole gun as to have this one rebored and rechambered since I have the donor rifle, course I could sell the project and help pay for the rebore and cresent stock. DUNNO Tom.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The differences between stocks that I have seen has to do with the inletting internaly for the differences between leaf springs and coil springs , which doesn't affect anything. There might be slight variations in the tang shape. The forearm doesn't mattter . The pre 64 is just less bulky and takes a different style cap. I have put a a pre 64 octagon foreend on a post 64 gun. This was after market wood so they come a little big and some fitting is the expected . I have also put an post 64 stock on a rossi 92 with minor fitting , no problems.

This the post 64 38-55 with pre 64 forend
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Ben T.....that is a very pretty rifle you have there. Thanks for the info also.