OT: Dog chewing everything

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

OT: Dog chewing everything

Post by darkwater »

We picked up a 2-year-old labrador/akbash mix at the animal shelter in April. He's been a great dog, friendly, playful, good with the kids. When he's home alone, though, he gets destructive. He chews up anything the kids leave outside made of plastic or cloth, he's destroyed about 4 of my bushes to date, he's chewed off countless sprinkler heads, and now he's starting in on the redwood deck. I've tried the bitter apple spray before on the bushes and sprinkler heads, but I figure it keeps getting washed off anyway. The part of the deck he's chewing on is exposed, so if I sprayed that with something, it would just wash off in the next rain storm.

We've even spoiled him with various chew toys, including several Kong rubber products, Nylabones, stiff fabric frisbees and even toys made with rope. He chews on them, but at some point he gets bored and chews the other things I mentioned. It could be a behavioral thing, but I'm not calling the dog whisperer just yet. Anyone else have this issue and found a cure yet? I really don't want to have to pay for a new deck...that could buy a lot of guns!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Dog chewing everything

Post by shooter »

Whenever you find out how to stop it, please let me know. Having the same trouble with my Golden Retriever. He LOVES rawhides, but it doesn't matter how many I leave out, he will chew something else every once in a while. He may go a week or so without chewing anything, and then one day he will decide to destroy something. It's usually paper. If I leave anything out on the table without putting it up, it's in a million pieces when I get home. He usually doesn't bother much else. He digs, too. I need to figure out how to correct these issues. I've never had them with my other dogs.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I have an almost 2 year old Husky male I adopded a few months ago, just the last few days he has started chewing on books, the ones I am currently reading. I read a little before I go to sleep and then wake up and the book I was reading is destroyed! This I think will stop if I catch him in the act and admonish him, but haven't been able to catch him yet.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

I have two indoor dogs: A standard black lab and a Rhodesian Ridgeback Hound (Lion Dog). Both are about 3.5 years old. Both are gentle and loveable and I would not like to be without either one! Both are housedogs and both are house trained. The ridgeback suffers when I leave. She has really bonded to me as these doga are known to do and misses me when I go to work. She has chewed the corners on several wooden items.Tthey have plenty of the kong company toys and love the rubber bones to play tug of war with. I don't have good furniture as I have always had dogs in the house. I have thought of getting a loosely fitting rope-type muzzle that will ride on here snout and distract her from chewing on wooden furniture. I also put unloaded mouse traps on the corners of things and that helps a lot. (They first have to learn about mouse traps. They then hate the snap sound of them!). I guess this problem is more common than I thought. The bitter apple stuff only works to put money in the hands of the manufacturer of the item. "Isabelle" (the hound) has not chewed any of my gunstocks yet, but I am dreading the day...
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

It could be boredom, or it could be separation anxiety. Ask your neighbors if the dog carries on like a big baby when you go out. If he does then its anxiety. Labs are a pretty smart dog so if there's nothing in the yard to exercise his brain he will find his own entertainment. You don't want him chewing up the deck and verandah posts so I would suggest either put him on an overhead running wire or build him a play cage. I think the wires are a lot easier and cheaper, and you can make 'em as long as your yard.

Oh yeah, and if you think a deck is expensive, try a lounge room wall all the way through to the studs. We have had Rotties for over 20 years now but a couple years ago the cook decided to try something different and got a Bull Mastiff. We soon found out that Rotties have more brains in their dog piles than Bull Mastiffs have in their heads.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

When ever the dog does something wrong....
call him in a stern voice....call him over or go to him
by the way use one word commands.....
hold the dog around the neck....
then put roll hom down on the ground
and lean on his neck....with your hand.....
dont let him sqirm....or try to get away...
he will start to lick his chops and then his eyes will get real wide open...
this is a sign of submission....do this everytime does something wrong
along with a stern no.....you have to show him whos boss
and that what he did is wrong....
and hes right...its cause by bordom and lonelyness...

then give him a real bone to chew on...not toys...

I have gotten to a point with my dogs where i just have to look
at them or say a one word command and they respond..
or stop what they are doing....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

gundownunder and RIHMFIRE +1

They are pack animals, they don't like being alone.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Bitter apple or bitter orange are only marginally effective. Ive had much better success with a tea made of cayenne pepper. Dont use it where staining may bother you. Most dogs try it once and quit. But your need to use it on any thing they could possibly chew on. If you use it out doors make the potion out of salad oil and the Cayenne. Now there are some dogs that will find this stuff and consider it their duty to remove it-not much you can do with them. Dogsthat chew and destroy when you leave the house frequently have separation anxieties-doggy shrinks dont usually help too much here. Your veterinarian may be able to prescribe medication that may or may not be useful in alleviating this issue. Hate to say it but in some cases a second animal may be successfully therapeutic. Dogs have basically 3 ways to express themseves-chweing, barking and digging. And we dont want them to do any of these.......
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One Word: Get A Daytime Kennel :wink: It will save your sanity. Thor wrecked my second bathroom during the day before I got smart. They will raise he!!, but let them get used to it. If you don't have neighbors, a concrete run fenced in with a nice warm house for him would be great.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

?????"When ever the dog does something wrong....
call him in a stern voice....call him over..." ?????

Any possibily of teaching/reinforcing the dog not to come to you, cause when he does he gets punished !!!!

"...go to him..." this makes more sense but it should be immediate, rather than the dog's thoughts moving on to the next thought
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

How to use bitter apple

http://leerburg.com/774.htm
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

TWHBC wrote:?????"When ever the dog does something wrong....
call him in a stern voice....call him over..." ?????

Any possibily of teaching/reinforcing the dog not to come to you, cause when he does he gets punished !!!!
Its not really punishment...its a warning....

"...go to him..." this makes more sense but it should be immediate, rather than the dog's thoughts moving on to the next thought
I make my dog come to me....
he usually knows he did something wrong
he will walk right up to me and sits ...and looks straight up at me....
and he wont move until i say so....

ya got to keep it simple....and they will understand...

My wife wanted the dogs to come in last night...
and she kept talking to the dogs ....in long sentences....
you know how women talk to little kids....well...
after a short while it turned into yelling
I started getting a little ticked off after about the 5th try....
and the yelling was interupting my western....
so I told her to just say "inside"....and of course she ignored me...
So I got up...walked out on the porch.....yelled the word "inside" once
and they both ran into the house....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yep. Dogs and wimmen will never think like a man. We gotta be smart enough to at least make em both believe we think like them.

With a dog, it just takes a little reading on canine pecking order and alpha behavior traits. With wimmen it's best just to keep yer mouth shut or say yes ma'am.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

RIHMFIRE wrote:

My wife wanted the dogs to come in last night...
and she kept talking to the dogs ....in long sentences....
you know how women talk to little kids....well...
after a short while it turned into yelling
I started getting a little ticked off after about the 5th try....
and the yelling was interupting my western....
so I told her to just say "inside"....and of course she ignored me...
So I got up...walked out on the porch.....yelled the word "inside" once
and they both ran into the house....

What were you doing in my house last night? ;)

Seriously, my wife gets SO ticked at me because she does the same as Rihmfire's wife, and I literally "bark" single-word or two-word commands and the dog either snaps to attention, drops and gives me 20, or comes in the house when called.

"Out" . . . "Car" . . . "Porch" . . . "Inside" . . . "Up" . . . "Down" . . . "Stay" . . . they all work for me.

And +1 regarding the neck clamp or "collar twist" as a warning. Mother dogs clamp their jaws around their pups' necks to let them know they crossed a line. It is not mistreating a dog to do so, it is "speaking their language."

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I literally "bark" single-word or two-word commands... "Out" . . . "Car" . . . "Porch" . . . "Inside" . . . "Up" . . . "Down" . . . "Stay"
It's just a shame that doesn't work as well on women folk... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

kooz wrote:How to use bitter apple

http://leerburg.com/774.htm
Wow...lots of good advice here...thanks to all! And, I hadn't heard about how to imprint the bitter apple like that so that it works effectively. Interesting!

My dog is pretty smart, he knows when he's in trouble and will lower his head, squint his eyes and tuck his tail when I raise my voice at him just right. Sometimes I'll pull his collar down and he'll roll on his back and present his belly. I think he knows who's boss...it's just trying to enforce the rules when I'm not around. I think he plain likes to chew...he'll chew on sticks and toys when I'm in the backyard, too, so I don't think he's doing it out of loneliness. He likes to play with his toys on his own, too, where he'll flip them in the air and bounce them off the deck. He's a digger, too...the backyard is starting to look like a minefield. I think he just likes to keep busy and has lots of energy. He does sleep in a crate in the house at night, but we let him run free in the backyard during the day because he'd go stir crazy if he was confined both day and night.

I think I'll go with the positive reinforcement when he's chewing on the right things...I've already been doing the negative reinforcement, trying to do so when I catch him in the act. I think I'll also try the cayenne pepper spray mixed with vinegar, which I read about on a pet forum, and maybe give that bitter apple a try again, using the method described in the video above. I already got him a real rib bone, but he ate that pretty quick, so I'll try for something with a large knuckle that will hopefully take him longer.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old No7 wrote:
I literally "bark" single-word or two-word commands... "Out" . . . "Car" . . . "Porch" . . . "Inside" . . . "Up" . . . "Down" . . . "Stay"
It's just a shame that doesn't work as well on women folk... :wink:

Old No7
You need two.....one for her mother, too, or you'll never make any headway.... :twisted:

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Now, that's a photo I would like to see! Dog and "mother" contendedly chewing on a knuckle bone! One for each! Everyone happy! By the way, I had my dealer begin the seach for a .45 Rossi Model 92 Ranch Hand! I guess I would kick myself if I did not get one and they later stopped production...
GregT

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

darkwater wrote:We picked up a 2-year-old labrador/akbash mix at the animal shelter in April. He's been a great dog, friendly, playful, good with the kids. When he's home alone, though, he gets destructive. He chews up anything the kids leave outside made of plastic or cloth, he's destroyed about 4 of my bushes to date, he's chewed off countless sprinkler heads, and now he's starting in on the redwood deck. I've tried the bitter apple spray before on the bushes and sprinkler heads, but I figure it keeps getting washed off anyway. The part of the deck he's chewing on is exposed, so if I sprayed that with something, it would just wash off in the next rain storm.

We've even spoiled him with various chew toys, including several Kong rubber products, Nylabones, stiff fabric frisbees and even toys made with rope. He chews on them, but at some point he gets bored and chews the other things I mentioned. It could be a behavioral thing, but I'm not calling the dog whisperer just yet. Anyone else have this issue and found a cure yet? I really don't want to have to pay for a new deck...that could buy a lot of guns!
So - what's the question here???

That's what dogs - especially puppies - do -

We also protect our people from that dreaded "TP" - all coiled up in the bathroom and ready to strike the first victim -

I fixed that - they now keep the door closed - to keep that "TP" out, I guess.

We earn our keep but need to be understood as to who's really in charge here.

:twisted:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

What a cute little character! We know who the REAL boss is!
GregT

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I think He senses People looking at Him
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

GregT wrote:What a cute little character! We know who the REAL boss is!
GregT
Thanks - she's a fireball at only some six months - but as lovable as she looks -

"You did put all this stuff on the sofa for me to chew on - didn't you?"

We've had Mastiffs in the 200# plus size for more than two decades but none had anywhere near the energy and quickness this little rascal does - much less the pound for pound strength but, all that see and meet her immediately apply the term "adorable" to her - and she is - when she's not outwitting us.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I must admit that despite some 2 1/2 decades of showing dogs (Mastiffs) and earning more titles in obedience than conformation, this little girl has been a challenge - intelligent and quicker than the blink of an eye - reducing our ability to adequately apply on the spot discipline she would understand. After much deep thought, I went to the electronic training collar for large dogs at long distance and give her a 50% "shock" with the "NO or OUT" commands - the results are gratifying. It is humane with no real injury but avoids frustrating chasing and she is responding in a very satisfying way.

We love her very much and she is becoming a very good dog - totally reliable with visiting people (including young children - though we keep a close eye to assure she isn't being abused by them), dogs, and our house and furniture.

It's working for us - and she remains "adorable" to all.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

I love the mask on your dog! My Ridgeback hound has a cute face complete with mask, but I would have a hard time deciding which is more "kissable"!!!!
GregT
Hayward, Wi

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Some dogs are just worry warts, and will get screwed up when left alone for a while. (researchers call em pessimists). others have a positive outlook, and though they may suffer some spearation anxiety, mainly because they really WANTED to go WITH YOU, they won't wreck the place while yer gone.

The worst my dog ever has done is when left in the car too long, he'll find a tissue or some such and shred it up and leave it in the driver's seat as a message.

At home he's INSIDE when we're gone, and he's fine. We moved when he was three, andat first he would carry on like crazy when we were about to go somewhere, wanting to go WITH US. But it was my FIL who was quick to break him of that. Every day he goes out to get the mail. he leaves the front door open, just the screen door closed, and tells the dog "I'll be right back", and the dog watches him go and come back. When he;s gonna be gone a little longer, he says "I'll be back before leaving, and upon returning, makes a show of greeting the dog, repeating "Told ya I'd be back". It took a while, but eventually it got where we could leave and if he started making a fuss, simply say "No, not this time. I'll be back" and he'll be ok, sleeping or laying by the door FOR HOURS just waiting for the return of his people.....
Certified gun nut