Colt Fiasco Update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Colt Fiasco Update

Post by Kansas Ed »

Ok...just to keep things honest. I received my SAA back from Colt AGAIN today. As you recall this new revolver was sent back two times for quality issues...this last time they finally replaced a bad receiver.

The handgun I received today was very nice. Action timed well...new receiver allows the hammer to be straight IE hammer doesn't drag now. Finish is excellent this time. Cylinder throats spec well. Grips fit nicely. And they sent the correct caliber cylinder this time for the gun.

I'm actually torn now. Tulsa is this week...do I trade it off on something else before I try and shoot it, or do I take a chance and fire a couple boxes of ammo through it and take a chance on the nickel flaking off again?

Opinions on what I should do welcome....no encouraged...give me some feedback...

Ed
Hobie

Re: Colt Fiasco Update

Post by Hobie »

Well, do you want a NICKEL gun or just an SAA? I've never liked nickel because of the flaking but I do have a nickeled S&W 34. I think it will eventually flake. Personally, I'd trade/sell it off and get a CC and blued gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Hobie wrote:Well, do you want a NICKEL gun or just an SAA? I've never liked nickel because of the flaking but I do have a nickeled S&W 34. I think it will eventually flake. Personally, I'd trade/sell it off and get a CC and blued gun.
I have a CC and Blued gun...the whole reason I ordered this one was a lifelong dream to have the revolver below...I know..he lost this battle and for once was the bad guy.. :lol:

Ed

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Kansas Ed wrote:...the whole reason I ordered this one was a lifelong dream to have the revolver below...
Sorta answers your question no?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

olyinaz wrote:
Kansas Ed wrote:...the whole reason I ordered this one was a lifelong dream to have the revolver below...

Oly
+1
NRA Life Member
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

With the way Bronson's angled his barrel, you'd expect his bullet to go over Henry's head. But that's Hollywood for ya. I remember the last shot Alan Ladd took in "Shane"........he fired before his barrel got anywhere NEAR the angle it would've taken to hit the guy above him. I've never understood why the director didn't make him do it over until he got it right. But then, he was probably a flaming Liberal & didn't know the first thing about how guns work anyway. End of rant, jd45
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

After a lot of hassle, you finally got it right and to your satisfaction. Keep it and enjoy!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

jd45 wrote:With the way Bronson's angled his barrel, you'd expect his bullet to go over Henry's head. But that's Hollywood for ya. I remember the last shot Alan Ladd took in "Shane"........he fired before his barrel got anywhere NEAR the angle it would've taken to hit the guy above him. I've never understood why the director didn't make him do it over until he got it right. But then, he was probably a flaming Liberal & didn't know the first thing about how guns work anyway. End of rant, jd45
That still was a few seconds after the shot.......Fonda had been spun around after the hit, and was just standing there. Love that movie...in the beginning when Fonda shoots the red headed child..I knew it wasn't going to follow the rules of the sterotypical average western. And Jason Robards was tops in it.

But maybe most of you are right....I just expect the nickle to all flake off after 100 rounds..then the nightmare starts all over again :twisted:

Ed
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Get a stainless steel Ruger
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thats a decision where your gut will tell you what to do. If you really like the SA, keep it. Big deal, so it flakes--maybe, maybe not. If its a "keeper", no one but you is gonna know and when you take the ride to the last shootin' range in the sky, who cares if your heirs get $800 or $1200 for it.

You will be the one with the smile. :D --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Kansas Ed, thanx for the correction, it's been so long since I've seen the movie, I didn't remember. I guess it's about time I watch it again. jd45. BTW, how long did those nickel-plated Colts of the first generation last for their owners, I wonder. jd45
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

shoot it. there will be other opportunities to sell it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Great still!
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Keep it for sure. I have a 3rd gen SAA nickel in .44-40. I only have about 100 rds through it and have only had it about 9 months but it looks like new. I also have a nickel Colt Cobra I bought in 1972. It has maybe 500 rds through it. I carried it as an of duty firearm for 24yrs. While the nickel has faded a little, it has zero flaking. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

That " Shane " shot always bothered me too. I never understood why they didn't redo that shot either.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You've worked hard enough for it you deserve to be able to keep it and enjoy it. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I worked on my nickle Colt SAA and was able to test it yesterday. I must have done some good, the dang thing actually shot like it should. I've owned it for several years ,about 12 or so, but hardly ever shot it thinking it would screw up the finish. Then I thought , @ this age who gives a popsicle . Had a very good time. And my lovely young wife got to break in her new Henry .22 . Sweet lever action. If we try to save them for some one else , they didn't earn it , and I did. Gonna' , and do shoot all when I can.,,,,,,,,,,,,Have Fun . ...........Mutt :D
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Just be sure NOT to use smokeless solvents (Hoppe's No. 9, Bullseye etc.) on any nickel gun. They will all make the nickel come off. They were formulated to dissolve jacket material from the barrel and the nickel usually has a thin copper plate under it. The first gen Colts were shot with black powder. It was all they had and it had to be cleaned up with water! The army back then cleaned with water and then applied "sweet oil" (you can read that olive oil).

I got a 5.5" full nickel SAA in 44-40 back in '58. It was made in 1881 and had the one piece wooden grips. Cost me a '58 Remington and $45! I shot everything in that gun but knew to not use the Hoppe's on it so the nickel stayed. I remember shooting in on the salt beach at the Great Salt Lake and being able to see the bullet hit about 200 yards downrange. My second ex-wife managed to get it stolen out of the car at the Oklahoma City Zoo. I regret losing the gun.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

olyinaz wrote:

Oly
+1 more
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

he made a great bad guy.
I always liked Glenn Ford as the good guy.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Keep it, shoot it and take care of it right. The finish will probably be just fine. I like how Mutt put it....Why try and save it for someone else. They didn't earn it, I did.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hoppe's #9 and nickle plating;
Many years ago in the late 70s I carried a nickled S&W Mdl 15 while driving armored trucks. I shot it a LOT. Always used Hoppe's #9 to clean it. Once cleaned I'd wipe it dry then oil it.
When it went down the trade route for something else the plating was still intact. Just showed the wear from use.
I think the problem starts when you soak the gun in Hoppe's for a prolonged period of time. Routine cleaning and care shouldn't be a problem.
Just my experience with this.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

J Miller wrote:Hoppe's #9 and nickle plating;
Many years ago in the late 70s I carried a nickled S&W Mdl 15 while driving armored trucks. I shot it a LOT. Always used Hoppe's #9 to clean it. Once cleaned I'd wipe it dry then oil it.
When it went down the trade route for something else the plating was still intact. Just showed the wear from use.
I think the problem starts when you soak the gun in Hoppe's for a prolonged period of time. Routine cleaning and care shouldn't be a problem.

Joe
Me too. Been shooting a nickel 29, Python and a detective special all since the mid seventies with a combined total of probably close to 10K rounds. The nickels all there.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Sixgun wrote:
J Miller wrote:Hoppe's #9 and nickle plating;

Joe
Me too. Been shooting a nickel 29, Python and a detective special all since the mid seventies with a combined total of probably close to 10K rounds. The nickels all there.----------Sixgun
They used to put a warning on the large Hoppe's bottles about soaking nickel parts, not a good thing. Having said that I've got a couple of nickel Smith's that have had thousands of rounds thru them and been cleaned, then wiped dry, with Hoppe's since I bought them. No flaking or peeling yet.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

flaking on a nickle gun is common. Shoot it and enjoy. The flaking gives it character. :D

"That'll Be The Day"