New Sights on My Rossi

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

New Sights on My Rossi

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: New Sights on My Rossi

Post by J Miller »

Steve,

I like the rifle, and the front sight intrigues me. I wonder how one like it would work on my 20" Marlin 1894 Cowboy with a side mount receiver sight?

I also replaced the humongous 3/32" front bead on my 1894 with a smaller 1/16" bead. It makes a huge difference in the ability to shoot it accurately.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I should work just fine on a 20" too. The receiver peep is the same principle exactly; your eye naturally centers the front sights in the middle of the peep.
Steve
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Steve,
Where do you get those Lyman front sights? Are they current Lyman manufacture or reproductions?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Current production. I got both at Brownell's. The globe is the one that's .404" high which is their shortest.
Steve
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

That is a beautiful rifle, sir.

Is the front sight considered a "globe" sight?

Where did you get the decorative filler for the rear sight? I need one for my Marlin....

Thanks! Let us know how she shoots!
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Steve, I have discovered that the front sight dovetail slot on my Rossi 92 is oversize so that replacement sights do not fit. I tried shimming but that didn't work well at all. In the end, I bought the Marbles tang sight and removed the rear buckhorn. I really like this setup and it has proven to be pretty accurate for my 68 yr old eyes.
The Globe front sight you show here looks like the next good step to take, BUT, how do I get one that will fit my oversized front dovetail??

Walt
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Steve,
Thanks for the info.

JohnB,
The decorative dovetail blank can also be had from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... SLOT+BLANK

Joe
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I have that front sight on my 26" .45-70. I also got a set of Lee Shaver inserts from Brownells (781-100-017). They really made a difference.
Rdm_01
Levergunner

Post by Rdm_01 »

Nice pics!! :D :D

How good would this sight combo be for hunting?

RDM
"I haven't lost my temper in forty years, but pilgrim you caused a lot of trouble this morning, might have got somebody killed... and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The *hell* I won't!" John Wayne as G.W. McLintock

NRA Life Member (EPL)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I used the same 0.404" Lyman Globe sight on this project, and REALLY like it...

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20359

This is the initial 'insert' I used, but I also wound up gravitating to the concentric one.

Rear is the $29 Taurus tang sight 'clone' of the Marble's - Image
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Concentric rings are a very common combination among the guys I shoot with, and Chas is right about the Shaver inserts for the globe front. Shavers are a lot finer than those big bulky Lyman inserts. The combination also works perfectly well with any barrel length from my little 18" all the way up.
The trick is to find the right size rear peep hole to match the length of barrel. In the pic AJMD429 has, where he shows the front sight through the rear, I would get a smaller peep if that's the pic I was seeing with my eye.
If you happen to be a person who grew up on scoped rifles then went back to this style of shooting you can use a few basic handyman skills and cut the center out of an insert and glue/solder cross hairs just like in a scope. This works well on a carbine for rapid fire or snap shooting at running targets.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

The Shaver inserts are much finer than the Lyman inserts, here they are at Brownells:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1237 ... HT_INSERTS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Newtmaker wrote:The Globe front sight you show here looks like the next good step to take, BUT, how do I get one that will fit my oversized front dovetail??
If I'm not mistaken, AFTER I ordered mine from Brownell's, I accidentally found a 'metric' one on a European Brownells website.

Anyway, all I did was use a pointed-punch to 'point up' the flat surface of the barrel dovetail a bit, and a shim of scrap aluminum gutter flashing under the sight. I had to punch-peen the 'lips' of the dovetail onto the sight a bit, but it worked just fine.

If you can get the 'European' version though, I suppose it would be an easier process, but I'm not sure if it would be worth a bunch of extra money to avoid the shim. You can trim it enough that it isn't really visible unless you use a flashlight and look closely from just the right angle.

I think NKJ tried to to educate me/us awhile back on the 'dovetail widths' of the Rossis, but I've slept since then; you might search for such a post.
Rdm_01 wrote:How good would this sight combo be for hunting?
I should add that for hunting, I still prefer the Williams FP mounted on the receiver, because it always seemed to me the tang-mounted peeps would be a bit 'fragile' taken into the deep deer-brush, and that extra step of 'flipping them up' IS a bit of a nuisance. (Having said that, I'll admit I've never had a tang-sight break...)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

The Lyman 17AEU is the European dovetail, but it's .464 high. Lyman makes this 17A in different heights - .404, .494, .584, and .464 (European dovetail).
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool set-up. Looking forward to your first range report with it! 8)
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I think it looks great and I look forward to seeing how it shoots.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Hello! I bought a Rossi 92, 20" octagon barrel, case hardened and colored receiver in caliber.45 Colt. I installed a Lyman folding rear sight with windage adjustment (Brownell's) on the barrel in place of the cheesy stamped metal elevator sight that was on it. Replaced the front sight with a blade front sight that came off one of my other rifles some time ago. Don't recall what one. Matched up with the Lyman folding sight real well as that Lyman with windage adjustment is quite tall. Then I got a real idea! Noticed that the tang is drilled and tapped and the rifle came with an extra, longer tang screw so that a vernier tang sight can be attached. I had a screw that worked with the other hole that was in the tang. Also had a Pedersoli Model USA 430 vernier tang sight that was not being used at the moment and with a reduction in diameter of the head of the longer tang screw, the sight installed with ease! I've been working on load development using the Lyman 452424, 255 grain Keith design. I use Unique, 8.3 grains, Starline brass, Remington 2 1/2 large pistol primers, and my own ALOX and beeswax lube. Sighted to hit dead center at 25 yards, the load will shoot three shot cloverleafs if I can hold the rifle until the bullet clears the barrel... At what I figure would be max hunting range of 70 yards, the bullet is a little bit high. No trouble hitting 4 inch square wooden blocks at that range. Measured velocity today and that ran 1105 fps, 1106 fps, 1110 fps and one low one at 1087 fps. Just a couple feet per second over 1100 on the average. I'm happy and if the slug needs adjustment, it is easily dialed in with that tang sight! It involves holding the rifle a bit differently when shooting, but that is easily gotten used to. If I decide not to use the tang sight, I can take it off and use the fold down barrel sight that is sighted exactly for this same load. I have an adjustable eyepiece that gives me a choice of six or seven different size peep holes and that is helpful as the light changes. My 62 year old eyes get along very well with this set up. Will take photos when I get a minute.
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Just a couple of things to add to my last post re: the tang sight. First, the adjustable eyepiece (many peep holes) I have on the tang sight is also made by Pedersoli and is called a "Hadley Eyepiece". This is an extra item that is available for their sights. Also, second item is one of common sense when using these sights: Stay far enough back from it when using the peep holes so that when the rifle recoils you don't get bonked above the eye by the eyepiece! You'd think I would have known that! Didn't cut me but did remind me! And, it seems that whenever you do something foolish such as the above, or when you get your thumb snagged by the slamming breach-bolt of an M-1 Garand, there is always a witness to the event, who politely turns away as he laughs violently!
GregT

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

For a Complete catalog of Iron sights, I buy from Buffaloarms.

http://www.buffaloarms.com
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

I ordered the .464 Lyman from Midway, the European version, hoping it would fit my Rossi 92 round bbl. It arrived today and no joy....it is still way too small.
On a more positive note, the Rossi Scout scope mount arrived and it fits perfectly. Scope is now mounted and I will check it out at the range tomorrow.

In the meantime, I am going to try to add some JB Weld to the Lyman and then do some filing. The more I look at CO Steve's new sights I like more and more, especially since I already have the tang sight installed.

Walt
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The original Marbles front sight I had on there was only .375" high so I went with the shortest Lyman 17A, the .404" high one. Like all the sights with my Rossis, I had to take a cold chisel to the bottom edges and strike 3 groves into each side so as to move enough metal over to make the sight fit tight.

BTW, to keep from marking up the sights I take a strip of black electrical tape and lay in on each jaw, allowing some to drape over to the jaw face plus I then lay a bit of tape on each side to the sight. When I turn it upside down and close the vice lightly against it I don't have to worry about scratches.
Steve
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

COSteve wrote:The original Marbles front sight I had on there was only .375" high so I went with the shortest Lyman 17A, the .404" high one. Like all the sights with my Rossis, I had to take a cold chisel to the bottom edges and strike 3 groves into each side so as to move enough metal over to make the sight fit tight.

BTW, to keep from marking up the sights I take a strip of black electrical tape and lay in on each jaw, allowing some to drape over to the jaw face plus I then lay a bit of tape on each side to the sight. When I turn it upside down and close the vice lightly against it I don't have to worry about scratches.
Good idea. I will give that a try and see how it works. I also read where someone layed a strip of Gorilla Tape in the bottom of the dovetail slot before inserting the sight.

Walt
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Newtmaker wrote:
COSteve wrote:I also read where someone layed a strip of Gorilla Tape in the bottom of the dovetail slot before inserting the sight.
I don't think that would hold up long term as the barrel heating and cooling would melt the glue. Better choice if the dimpling or groves don't do it is to add a metal shim.
Steve
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

I use JB Quick epoxy and that works real well on most things. I am going to get a 17A as I already have a Marbles tang sight in place. I will try the epoxy in the front dovetail. That will hold it!
GregT

Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

GregT wrote:I use JB Quick epoxy and that works real well on most things. I am going to get a 17A as I already have a Marbles tang sight in place. I will try the epoxy in the front dovetail. That will hold it!
GregT
The Gorilla tape worked long enough that I was able to see that I really like this sight!! The gun shot better with the Globe sight and Tang sight combo than the 2~7 sxope that I had also attached to try out the new Rossi scope mount.
When I got back from the range I removed the scope mount and glued the Globe sight to the front dovetail. I used a small dab of superglue with the gorilla tape attached to the bottom oif the Globe dovetail. So far it is still good and solid so I think it will work ok. I had also bought some JB Weld Quick in case I have problems with the superglue holding.

Walt
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Good evening! Dang you guys! I went and ordered two of these 17A's from Brownell's, one for each of my tang sighted Model 92 .45's..... Got to quit reading these notes! (Not really! Thanks for the very detailed info.) Already have JB Quick so I'm ready to take up the slack in the dovetail.
GregT

Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

retmech wrote:The Shaver inserts are much finer than the Lyman inserts, here they are at Brownells:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1237 ... HT_INSERTS
I ordered these and they sure are nice! Makes for very accurate sighting on a target. Thanks for the tip!

Walt
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Good evening! This afternoon the mailman delivered two 17A Lyman globe front sights from Brownells. These sights were then installed on two .45 Colt, Rossi Model 92 rifles: One with a 20" barrel and the other with a 24" barrel. Both dovetails, as reported here, were slightly large for the incoming Lyman sight. I peined down the top edge of the dovetail front and back a little bit, cleaned both dovetails with rubbing alcohol, also the sight dovetail, applied a little blue Loctite, gently tapped in the 17A's until they centered by eye. They both are now set and it would take a pretty good deliberate rap to losten them up. The rear sight on the rifle with the 20" barrel is a Pedersoli vernier tang sight with both windage and elevation adjustment. The Pedersoli's are beautiful sights. That one has a Hadley adjustable eyepiece giving a selection of peep holes on a disc that can be rotated into place to correspond to the amount of light available. The rear sight on the rifle with the 24" inch barrel is a Marbles tang sight, also with windage and elevation adjustment on it. One part of the Marbles sight gave me some trouble. There is a locking nut that you can rotate down the threaded elevation screw so that when tightened down, the elevation screw is then locked in place. Nice theory but it does not work very well. The dang locking nut kept loosening up as the rifle was fired no matter how finger tight the nut was turned down. I finally went to the local hardware store and bought a tiny, black rubber o-ring. Now, I mean really tiny-tiny! This little o-ring is about the same diameter as the locking nut. I took off the sight aperture and gently rolled the little o-ring down to and over the locking nut. I took my time and gently stretched it until I finally rolled it under the locking nut. Now, when I tighten down the locking nut, it squeezes the o-ring and holds the elevation screw totally secure. The vibrations caused by shooting are absorbed by the rubber o-ring and all is well with the elevation! I put a short post insert in one of the globe sights and a post with a little ball at the tip of it in the other. As soon as our latest weather disaster ceases, I will try to get out to sight them in. Our gun deer hunt starts next weekend and I will carry either of these rifles when I do the little hunting I do. If I see a nice buck I will shoot, if not it's good exercise. Both of these rifles are now totally adjustable as far as the sights are concerned. And the sights look really nice on both rifles. We'll see how they work in Wisconsin's sunless winter.
GregT

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

AJMD429 wrote:Rear is the $29 Taurus tang sight 'clone' of the Marble's - Image

DocAJ is that listed on their website somewhere? I bet that would fit, or at least be made to fit, on my model 62 Winchester...and maybe even on my old Stevens Favorite...
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Don't waste your time trying to get one of these. I had one on back order with those fine folks at Rossi. Never bothered to tell me that they had none of these nor did they expect to get more in. To their credit, they did not hit my card, but neither did they give me any info re the non-availabilty of this sight. They probably have plenty of them---in Brazil! Rossi/Taurus has a lot to learn about customer service.
GregT

retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Don't know about your back order but I bought 2 from Rossi about a month ago. Here is a link to their catalog.
http://www.taurususa.com/accesories-tangsight.cfm
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

Well, they had my charge card from the first week of September until about 2 weeks ago when I blew up and told them I wanted to know what was going on! They told me then no sights in stock and none were going to be available. Would not be the first time that that operation has lied to me. All my rifles are set up now. Don't need that sight at this point.
GregT

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

retmech:
Thanks for the link, looks like it is made for their model 62 clone.

I am going to try one

Damien
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Damien--If Rossi is out of stock and you don't want to wait, my extra is for the 62/72( pn. 5-6273) and unused in the package. I changed my mind about the project I planned for it so if you want it I'll eat the shipping and sell it for the $33. I paid for it.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

retmech wrote:Damien--If Rossi is out of stock and you don't want to wait, my extra is for the 62/72( pn. 5-6273) and unused in the package. I changed my mind about the project I planned for it so if you want it I'll eat the shipping and sell it for the $33. I paid for it.

Sending PM!