32 cal muzzleloader , any experience ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

32 cal muzzleloader , any experience ?

Post by BenT »

I was talking to a fellow at one of the gunshops that squirrel hunt s with one. Which sounded interesting. Then my buddy called me today ( who just had surgery and has nothing better to do than go to gunshops) and said he found one used in like new condition.

Now I was thinking about a Chrismas present for my 10 year old son. So I was curious on any experience on how they shot and balanced or anything good or bad. Thanks.
Senior Levergunner

Re: 32 cal muzzleloader , any experience ?

Post by 2571 »

Got any more info?

Nice caliber. Cheap to shoot. Has kid got enough patience to deal with a flintlock?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I heard they R hard to load, tiny little ball being shoved by a tiny little limber stick. for a kid the ball size doesn't matter as Their manual dexterity is a little better than Us Old Guys with fat fingers. I would love to have a 36 and I shall ( right time - right place ) BTW - not trying to discourage You. somr one will be along perhaps with a tad more to add.
Good Luck, Great Christmas present BTW
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It is a percussion cap . Traditions sells them as a Crocket rifle. But what I was disappointed about it was the price. A new rifle is almost $400 , but I really wanted a kit for him to asssemble. Well the kit was only $50 less. The one my buddy seen at the gunshop is $225.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've wanted a one for a squirrel rifle for a long time, but they are always priced way over what the same rifle in 50 cal. costs. I never understood it, but if I could find one for that price I'd be all over it.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BenT wrote:It is a percussion cap . Traditions sells them as a Crocket rifle. But what I was disappointed about it was the price. A new rifle is almost $400 , but I really wanted a kit for him to asssemble. Well the kit was only $50 less. The one my buddy seen at the gunshop is $225.
$225 in like-new condition? What are you waiting for?!?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Balance? You have to pick it up to see. Is this a Traditions gun? <sigh> I personally would pass on it. Call me a snob if you like but this goes back to my cheap gun post. In the case of Traditions guns IMO you get LESS than what you pay for. A TC Cherokee? SNAP IT UP!!!! Is it a custom? Check it out. Might be a bargain or worse than a Traditions.

The reason that IN-LINES were/are pushed by the makers is that they are big in PROFITs. It was only after they had to do product improvement that you saw the push to better quality. There is a HUGE range in quality among muzzleloading guns and huge numbers have been produced overseas by indifferent producers. Even among the lowest price point careful examination can locate a relative gem of an otherwise poor model.

THE OTHER THING YOU MUST LOOK FOR AND CONSIDER IS CONDITION. Why, I don't know, but many muzzleloader users never properly clean their guns. I am absolutely amazed at the number of replacement breech plugs we sell for in-lines of all makes. Even TC markets replacements for the Encores and that is a $900 gun you would think the owner would at least try to maintain.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have one of the Crocket rifles. It is a ton of fun to shoot. They are not any harder to load then my 50cal. The only down side when it comes to kids is they are really long and nose heavy with the barrel length they have. Both of my boys love shooting it but they need a rest or shooting sticks to make the most out of it. It is really sized for an adult. The nice thing for kids is it is in the 22Lr -22WMR level of performance depending on the powder charge. At that price I would say grab it and enjoy.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hobie wrote:Balance? You have to pick it up to see. Is this a Traditions gun? <sigh> I personally would pass on it. Call me a snob if you like but this goes back to my cheap gun post. In the case of Traditions guns IMO you get LESS than what you pay for. A TC Cherokee? SNAP IT UP!!!! Is it a custom? Check it out. Might be a bargain or worse than a Traditions.
A big +1. The quality and reliability of these guns is often a stuff shoot, in my experience. Sometimes you get a good un, sometimes not. I would look for a T/C of medium caliber.....maybe 45 as it is so versatile and there is still virtually no felt recoil when loaded light. Head shoot the squirrels! :P
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

I was in the same position you are. I ended up getting my son a T/C Seneca in .45 cal. With a light load and shots to the head it is great for squirrels and can be loaded hotter for deer. I had a T/C Cherokee in .36 that I never should have gotten rid of. I have had a .32 and the only problem I had with it was afetr about 5 shots it got harder to load because of the fouling. Good luck with whatever you choose. Blackpowder is alot of fun.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Years ago I had a Thompson Center .36cal Seneca, looked like a baby Hawken. It was too small of bore to legally hunt deer with in Okla, but it was the funnest BP rifle I ever owned. One day I got a wild hair and dropped a Star hollow-based, .38cal wad cutter down the tube on top of 25gr of FFF. Shooting from the bench that little rifle cut the X at 25yds. Four more rounds cut a ragged hole about the size of a nickel. My thinking is the hollow base expanded like a mini-ball, sure was accurate. That little rifle left during the first divorce, sure wish I had it back.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

You may keep an eye out for the out of production CVA squirrel rifle. It is 32cal and is quite well made and has deep cut rifling.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks for the info on the quality of the brands of rifles out there. I'll probably go take a look on Friday. I do know that it is about 20 years old.
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

Ditto on the OLD CVA's.... I have a CVA "Mountain Rifle" they sold, back in the 70's....bought in 77 or so.....as a kit, for 125.00!!! they were all AMERICAN made back then!!! Last time out, 70 grs ffg criso lube patched .490 ball.....RWS caps.....set triggers.... 2 in the black 1/2" apart at 50yds... the older ones were good quality, good shooters. TC's were good too... as to those cheapie imports....... look em over with a microscope.... "some" were "ok", a lot were pure junk! Spanish ones i'd tend to let walk by......