OT: Help talk me out of doing this...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Help talk me out of doing this...

Post by mklwhite »

... I have an 03-A3 in excellent condition from 1943. It was my fathers. He, his dad and his brother bought one each in the 50s (iirc). Heavy with cosmoline and factory fresh was my fathers rifle. The problem is that back in the day they thought the guns were too heavy, so they took off the extra wood (top and in front of the forearm). Anyhow I was told by my grandpa that the last time he remembered seeing that wood some had warped and some had split and that was that. Now I am thinking about trying to buy another stock so I can have it in a more issued condition. I've been looking with limited success about finding replacement stocks. They best deal I have found so far is a demilled drill rifle (scant s style where mine is a straight grip) anyhow am I just being foolish and about the throw down money on something I don't need or what would you do? (Yes, even semi-restored I would still plan on hunting with it.)
rond
Levergunner

Re: OT: Help talk me out of doing this...

Post by rond »

CMP has new stock sets, but I would leave it alone and call it dad's rifle.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

rond wrote:CMP has new stock sets, but I would leave it alone and call it dad's rifle.
You can usually find seveal '03, '03-a3 stock sets on ebay also. Either way you go you'll have a fine rifle.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Swapping the stock isn't a permanent alteration so go for it. Keep the modified stock for the memories and to hunt with on occasion, make new memories with the new stock.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

IMO,..If it were mine,..I'd just hunt with it the way it is. That's the way your dad wanted it, that's the way I'd leave it.

However,..I'd purchase an extra stock set from CMP to keep and pass along with the rifle when you reach the end of your hunting career. The next generation might have a hard time finding a stock set for it, and let them decide.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd get the new stock set.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I guess it depends on what you want. An original as issued rifle or the rifle your Dad hunted with.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Your gun your choice. If it were mine, I would get the new stock and keep what I took off. No doubt about it.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Get a new stock for sure. CMP stocks are nice (I got one for my Garand and it's lovely) and the price is right. Fulton Armory also sells M1903 stocks.

I recommend the "C" stock - full pistol grip - because I think they shoot the best but just bear in mind that there are several major types: Straight grip, "scant" (sort of like an Enfield with half of a pistol grip), and C-type with the pistol grip.

Think I got that right, someone correct if I'm mixed up.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

It's your rifle now. Why not buy the correct wood for it IF everything else on it is issue or easily replaceable. I'd also keep the old wood that came with the rifle. You'll have the best of both worlds. Me, I keep all the firearms I get as family heirlooms just the way I received them. To me each has it's own story. I'm just funny that way.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

There's an original stock and handguard set on Ebay currently for less than $100 shipped. You may be able to pick it or another original up just as cheap as a reproduction.