? for you .375 Win Shooters & Reloaders.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

? for you .375 Win Shooters & Reloaders.

Post by 2ndovc »

Putting together stuff to start reloading for the .375/94BB I have on the way.

Picked up brass and dies but factory JSPs seem to be kinda scarce.

I have a pile of .379 dia hard cast lead bevel base bullets for my 38-55. I
Question is;
Is that too big for the .375 Winchester. My manuals are stating .377 for cast bullets.

How much over bore diameter can you go with a cast bullet?
I don't have the rifle yet so I can't slug the bore until then. But just wondering if I can use
my .38-55 bullets until I can bag some other bullets.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: ? for you .375 Win Shooters & Reloaders.

Post by Old Savage »

What rifle do you have? Basically if you can chamber it, you can fire it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I've never tried them so take this with a grain of salt, but I personally would avoid the bevel base stuff, and go with a good proven gas check design.. Time spent scrubbing lead really bites, and I've never heard tales of astounding accuracy. either.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I'm pretty sure the .375 Win. bores are standardized at .376". Your .379"ers may prove a tad big. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Scott
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I had very poor results with some bevel base bullets that I tried in my Winchester. I used both the Lyman and RCBS gas check bullets with good results, sized at .376". I shoot .379" in my 375 Marlin now, so I'd say if they will chamber they would be worth a try. Just don't try and push the bevel base bullets too hard.
NRA Life Member
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have a Marlin 375 and a 2002 production Winchester 38-55 and I had my best accuracy with both rifles with .377 cast bullets with gas checks.

YMMV

Wm
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Sized .377 and I use gas checks...only way mine maintains consistant accuracy with cast. 'Course mine is Winchester, can't say how the Marlins would be. Mine also is best with jacketed bullets, especially the Hornady 220's.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jason,
As you know, I only use 30-30 brass for my 38-55's. So....it comes up short. Thats fine as this case works equally well in my .375. I use the same ammo for my 38-55's and my one 375. NEI 270 gr. gas check with 21 gr. of 5744 for about 1400.

Sometimes when I want more oommph for any of the rifles, I keep everything the same but load 25 gr. of RL-7 for 1700.

For hunting I use the 264 Lyman, bullet sized, primer, (Rem. L.R.or Fed. L.R.) powder charge, case all the same as above.

The bullet comes from the mould at .378 and I insert the gas check and run them through a .379 sizer. Once again, same for all rifles, and that includes 1894's, 1899 Savage, 1893 Marlin and the .375 Marlin.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the responses.

I know the bevel base bullet isn't ideal for this application but I have about 1000 of them I bought
for my 1894 in 38-55. In that rifle they are the most accurate bullet I've tried. Thought I'd make up a few rounds to
give me something to shoot when I get the 94 Big Bore home.

I was at a local show last weekend looking for .375 Win. stuff. There was One box of Winchester
factory ammo at the show and the guy wanted $42.00 for it.
I'll be danged if I'm going to pay $42.00 for something I can make myself.

Anyway,
Can't wait to get it home and have some fun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Hey Pard...congrats on the Winny.

Use and old casters trick to use the pb bullets...just turn a gas check cup side toward the powder. This is documented in the NRA cast bullet manuals from the 80's. I learned it from my old man back when I started in the mid. 50's. Back then you just couldn't afford to buy molds willy-nilly, you had to make do with what you had.

As a caster you should have the NRA manual & the suppliment...if'n you don't, go get them.

Here's how...

Insert the check sideways after you pour the powder. Turn it as close as you can into the case cup side down toward the powder, but don't worry if you can't seat it. Let the boolit seat it in the die. It should be up against the boolit base with no air inbetween. In the nra manual there are reports where better accuracy was obtained than with a check up on the boolit. My experience is that leading was eliminated regardless of the velocity & boolit type, hardness notwithstanding. Accuracy in certain loads was better than with the check attached to the projectile. Start as always about 10% below max. & work up.

I would be interested in your results...just think, any boolit you want can be used using this method along with good boolit fit in the throat (ball seat) & at any reasonable velocity.

It just gets better & better Pard... :wink:

LB
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Another trick for emulate a gas check is to use a .40" card wad made from a waxed paper milk carton. It'll be slightly bowed inside the case, but under pressure it'll flatten and protect the base of the bullet. Not so much on a bevel base, but works wonders with a plain base.

I highly recommend the Hornady 220gr FN for your jacketed needs. Being a single use type bullet, they ain't cheap... but well worth it in this cartridge!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I shoot ranchdogs bullet sized to 377 at 1850 fps with no leading and have 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards. I have no reason to shoot jacketed. But the 220 gr Hornady's shoot better than the 200 gr sierras