Winchester 1876 short rifle 45-60 on GB?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 1876 short rifle 45-60 on GB?

Post by rangerider7 »

What's the story? Let me here from the experts. :)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =197155695

"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Winchester 1876 short rifle 45-60 on GB?

Post by KirkD »

Hard to tell for sure if the 18" barrel is factory, but it does look like the inside and outside radiuses of the muzzle have a bevel, which was not factory. There is a good chance the barrel and mag tube have been cut down. That said, a 'Buy Now' price of $2,500 is reasonable, and probably reflects the cut down barrel.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mag in relation to muzzle, muzzle treatment, sights, etc. don't appear correct. A letter would answer questions, maybe, but this gun ain't original. Is that the over-riding concern?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I don't have the money right now but I wanted to know if it was original. It seems to be a good price even if it is not. I figured the mag and barrel (beveled) were not original but nice work and done by a gun smith a while back. It sure would be a handy lever to shoot. :)

P.S. No good photo of the repaired stock. That might be the killer.
"That'll Be The Day"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I could be mistaken, but was the forend an inch shorter on short rifles as they were on trapper carbines? Also I think generally the sight slot is milled closer to the receiver.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

OldWin wrote:I could be mistaken, but was the forend an inch shorter on short rifles as they were on trapper carbines? Also I think generally the sight slot is milled closer to the receiver.
I believe Winchester shortened the forearm on their short rifles as well. The forearm in the picture looks regular rifle length.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

The picture of that '76 brings back bittersweet memories. I was passing thru Billings, Montana a dozen or so years ago and happened to find a vintage Winchester '76 short rifle for sale in a gun shop. The price was very reasonable (around $700 I think), so I bought it and took it home happy as a kid on Christmas morning. About two weeks later a sheriff's deputy knocked on my door in Idaho and asked me if I bought a such-and-such Winchester rifle in Billings a couple of weeks prior. Long story short, several old Winchester lever actions had been stolen in a home burglary and sold to the gun shop. The cops collared the punk theives and tracked the stolen guns thru the gun shop to the subsequent buyers. I had to give up the '76 short rifle, and eventually did get my money back. But they had to pry the rifle out of my hands with a crowbar!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

A few years ago I sold my 22" round barreled '76 .45-60 for three times what I originally gave for it($400). The barrel was surely cut down, but whoever did it had the tube hanger in the correct position. The gun had no remaining metal finish, but great wood and a nearly mint bore that shot like a dream. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln