Howz the 338 Marlin Express Lever?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Howz the 338 Marlin Express Lever?

Post by JohndeFresno »

I searched our messages here and find only a few mentions of the 338 Marlin Express. Since the levergun and round were introduced last year, it seems like somebody here has had a chance to test one out.

In practical situations, how is the levergun stacking up against similar elk and bear caliber rounds in a bolt action?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Howz the 338 Marlin Express Lever?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I hunted with mine last year but did not get an opportunity to test it on game. Very accurate rifle though. :D
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I hunted with mine last year but did not get an opportunity to test it on game. Very accurate rifle though. :D
Given all the heated debate on the "G&A Leverguns vs. Bolts" thread (which was only meant to announce an interesting article!), how did the gun rate at the range for you regarding -
- Portability and handiness to carry vs. a similar non-lever big caliber?
- Accuracy vs. similar caliber firesticks in roughly the same price range?
- Ease in putting it on target?
- Follow-up shots?

Chuck, you recall that some said that they can shuck and shoot a lever faster than a bolt and vice versa. What was your experience?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

NO rifle is more portable than a lever in my book.
3 shots in a smidge over 1" @ 100yd. Who needs better than that for big game.
Points well as any rifle in my hands and better than most.
I have not had opportunity to try fast follow up shots but
in CAS there are guys who can fire 10 shots from a tuned lever in less than 2 seconds and hit their target. I have never seen a bolt gun operate that fast. So in factory condition I think follow up shots are going to be the last of my worries.

I like mine! :wink:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I haven't connected with a deer with my 338MX. I'll try again in a month. I want to get some of the new Lever Evolution powder, which will be released in Jan. to do more load development. I like it because it isn't heavy like a 444 , it is definately closer to the 30-30 weight wise. My 356 BB is the best performing deer cartridge I use for dropping deer in their tracks. I'm hoping the 338MX performs the same.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

The great Savage levers in .30-06 have always appealed to me - powerful, handy, and quick handling - but with a pretty steep price. This new elbow cranker might just take off and become another medium to big game hunting classic.
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

If you want one, try to get one with a 92 serial number. Loads of problems with the 2009 made ones (91). Ilion made ones haven't started production yet.

Knowing that. I have a 338MX. Shoot's subMOA off a rest, cuz I'm not good enough to shoot that tight any other way. Typical accuracy for most owners is around 1 MOA +/- a couple tenths.

Before I put the scope on it, friends thought it was lighter than my 1894c because of the balance, and it's actually 1 lb heavier. Even with the scope, it' still balanced better than any bolt I've held.

Recoil with factory loads is in the neighborhood of a 270 shooting 150 gr bullets, i.e. Pretty darn mild for a 338 with the reach and punch this rifle has. Here's mine before I put the big loop on it.

Here's a 3 shot group in 30mph crosswinds that were blowing me around. Even with that, the hole over the bullseye is from 2 of the bullets. It's sighted in to shoot 1.5" high at 100 yards, so where you see the holes is where they're supposed to be.

Here's some interesting threads for you.
Coyote neck/head shot at 370 yds
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 765.0.html

Moose at 338 yards
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 781.0.html

Bison with 338MX
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 704.0.html

There's more, but this gives an idea of the effectiveness. Just understand you probably run as much as a 50% chance of having to send it to the factory for work if it's a 2009.
Last edited by quietman on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have one if the first stainless guns. Doesn't group quite that good, maybe 1.5"@100yds. Not a bit of problems with it. Might get to go elk hunting with it this year.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Quick tip from the ex service manager / head gunsmith at marlin before they closed the factory.

Remove the screw holding the tube to the barrel. Loctite the screw, tighten it until finger tight with a screwdriver and then back off 1/2 turn. On the Marlin Express rifles, the tube is supposed to float, not be torqued down. Some of the rifles left the factory with the screw too tight.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

quietman , Good reply and suggestion. Both my .308MX and .338MXLR and my .30-30XLR magazines float and all three are very accurate rifles.

My .338 has sticky extraction on some shots with the factory ammo. They load them right up to the max. When I start reloading I will not push them that hard. No need to get that last 25-30 fps out of a rifle that will do the job just fine a little slower. :wink:
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Sticky extraction is one of the issues with the 338, even some of the 2008 models. There are 2 causes.

1. Rings in the chamber from machining and not being smoothed at the factory, so chamber needs to be polished
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... #msg708458
Scroll to the bottom of the thread and you'll see the rig starfury used to polish his chamber.

2. Locking bolt for the 338 is another issue. Mine went back to the factory for this.
From Bob, the ex service manager
The locking bolt needs to be recut square only filing the high side. You will see the witness mark. Then lightly polished smooth. You don't want to lose the breech. It's cut uneven and being wedged by the bolt under pressure.

I need to take it apart and post pics as other people are asking about fix #2 and how to tell if their locking bolt is cut correctly. The big issue is going too far and losing the breech, so this should be done by a gunsmith. (Locking bolt is part # 47 in the manual)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Good information Quietman.thank You. mine is also a 92* didn't know about that and have had no problems with mine.
My .338 looks just like Quietmans and shoots about the same also.I haven't been able to shoot it further than 80yds,that all the distance at the range in My woods. I have a Leuopold 2X7 scope on it. I think this is a great all around package.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you all for the great information. And Quietman, you certainly answered all of the questions. That's a beautiful looking gun. I didn't think I had reached the second drooling age in my life; but I looked down and my keyboard is all wet!
gyrhed
Levergunner

Post by gyrhed »

there seem to be a lot of complaints related to feeding as well as the alignment of the barrel to the frame. It was enough to turn me off of it.

Maybe the earlier advice to buy only 92 serial numbers is good. I psicked up one at academey that obviously had an alignment problem just the other day.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

...Pickin' up on the same vibes, Gyrhed. But what a rifle!

Welcome to the fire.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I haven't had any problem with mine but I see that it starts with a 92 serial number. I just tried a load with RL 15 this week end and had a great time shooting gallon milk jugs full of water at 100 and 150 yards off hand. The way the jugs exploded com pared to my son shooting the 243, was pretty impresive. Can't wait to connect with a deer.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

JohndeFresno wrote:The great Savage levers in .30-06 have always appealed to me - powerful, handy, and quick handling - but with a pretty steep price. This new elbow cranker might just take off and become another medium to big game hunting classic.
?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

tman wrote:
JohndeFresno wrote:The great Savage levers in .30-06 have always appealed to me - powerful, handy, and quick handling - but with a pretty steep price. This new elbow cranker might just take off and become another medium to big game hunting classic.
?
Thanks for the heads-up, TMan. I was thinking of the great old Savage 30-something levers, but meant the BLR .30-06 with its wonderful locking bolt and quick load magazine - against its relatively steep price.