3 point buck, two levers. Feast added!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

3 point buck, two levers. Feast added!

Post by Old Savage »

Well fellas after almost 20 years I got a 3 point buck in D11 in the Angeles National Forest. 10 straight years Starting in 92 I did not see a buck to shoot at in spite of a few friends - accomplished buck hunters in this 5% success ratio area - usually about the same 5% taking turns over the years and I hunted alone at times. It became known as the challenge or the curse or the jinx as no one who hunted with me got a deer either excepting one fellow who I guided who killed one - odd occurrence there. Stopped hunting, shooting and reloading for a few years due to a shoulder injury and preoccupations with offshore fishing and golf. Then a good friend whom I have done a lot of fishing and golfing with and I began talking about getting back out hunting. I go through this because Charles Haskell who has himself killed 40+ deer in this area managed to take the challenge and break the curse in one 3 hour morning of hunting the first time out. Charles attended the dinner for the first Leverguns Southern Ca. Shoot and held court with a few of the fellows on hunting in the So Cal desert and mountains. His family homesteaded an area in Newhall, Ca in the 1880s and hunting has been a family tradition and activity since. His father had a list of 68 bucks killed in various areas throughout this area. Charles started going with him at age 5 and hunting at first legal age. He stopped in 97 and decided to return this year. Charles made one scouting trip and this was to be the first of 10 outings if necessary.

Here is some of the country we were hunting.

Charles glassing and navigating

We covered about 38 miles on access roads through this area stopping to glass and look for likely places and ridges to hunt. As you can see you can see a lot of territory here with ridges running for miles with big elevation changes. After a few hours of this beginning at daybreak, taking pictures and sending them to a friend in Indiana and some of this photo journalism we went to investigate what Charles thought might be the best immediate chance. Charles at one point remarked - a texting buck hunter - what have I got myself into. Of course we have played over 500 rounds of golf together and numerous fishing trips etc.

I thought we might keep this woman in touch from Indiana as we proceeded.

Cris has always considered the red tailed hawk a good omen. At 8:48 one did a close in air show for us using the 20 mph wind over the ridges - noted this to Indiana with the response -always a good sign.

As we proceed along the access road Charles notes a doe and a fawn cutting in behind us and we stopped to watch them. They come up over the road - he lasered that at 245 yds there, then they ambled up and climbed over this ridge which lased at 305 yds.

Ah then he spotted a buck trailing them by about 150 yds. He crossed the road heading up toward the same ridge. By this time we were intent on him standing broadside at 275 yds by the laser range finder. Charles says do you want him, of course. Now - in the long consideration of what rifle to use I passed the most logical choices of my various bolts in favor of using either the Marlin 1895SS 45-70 or the Win 25-35 because ..... here we are on Leverguns. SO action hot and heavy Charles says - put that cannon down and take this. He pulls his 45 year old Model 88 243 which has killed something like 50 bucks. I come around the truck with him giving me range figures take the gun and come back to use the Ridgeline as a rest. Now this is like a pickup with a slanted side parked at an angle. I shed the binoculars and try to find a way to rest the rifle on the bed side rail and get an odd lean with the magazine on the rubber top of the bed. He is standing broadside watching us and looks almost blue gray in the sun. The two minute dot is dancing but I get it to settle on the top of his shoulder and touch it off. Down he drops rolling in the dirt. We keep the glass on him to see if there is movement but can't see him any longer. Here is how it looks from the shooting site and he is left of one of the yellowish triangles. We watch a bit, I think he is done because the shot looked great to me. We get in the truck and go back up the road to look. As we round a curve Charles say there he is and he is near the road hind end on the ground and standing up on his front legs. I jump out of the truck with the 45-70 and head toward him. He looks hurt and mad and defiant. Lever a round in the chamber center on his chest and was it one click or two with the safety. You know in the action, I really am not sure. Safety off I center on the chest and expect him to drop at the shot. But no he just begins to thrash back and forth. Trying center him and not hit the head I put one through the lungs - still mightily thrashing back and forth, again center on him and pow. Now down he goes. Last one it turns out went through the leg joint and takes the top of the heart off. These are the Barnes TSX 300 gr bullets at 1750 and by the third shot I am no more than 15 yds from him as I have been walking up levering and firing - Charles says with brass flying. SO it is over, 10:30 AM. 3 points on the left, right antler is broken off and one ear is torn up. Weighs probably 150 which is big for that area.

Here is the view from the point of the first shot.

And for breakfast that morning - two sausage egg Mcmuffins - have it your way.

243 Load was the Federal load with the 85 gr Barnes at 3200 fps which is right about where it chronographs. The first shot cut through the spine and took out the use of the back end - somehow he made it about 30 yds down hill. When I was developing loads for the 45-70 I used the 300 gr TSX. MikeD suggested that the 250 was probably better and I think he was right. 300s are what the gun shop had. I think the higher velocity would probably be more dramatic in their effect on this size animal. I really thought he was going to drop after the first shot with the 45-70 which went into the front of the chest near the left shoulder.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:34 am, edited 9 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 3 point buck, two levers.

Post by RustyJr »

Nice deer. Kinda suprising about the lack of effect your rounds seemed to have. Makes me think back on some of Mr. Keith's writings where he mentions that if the first shot is not perfectly placed that an animal can go for a long time because the first round delivers all the shock that the animal can stand. He described it a little better but sounds like that may be what happened here.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

8:48 AM the text to Indiana about the red hawk. 8:48 PM - my wife declares that she is a convert to venison. :D
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Old Savage
Great adventure in an amazing country! Thanks for sharing. Exellent report and very good pictures (also the after action pictures). Whatever bullet you use - you can't not know how it works - every animal is different and the first hit could be a little to far back, to low or to high. Or the bullet does not work as it worked so many times before. That's hunting -
expect the contrary to all expectations. First blood and back in the arena Fred :!:
Congratulation, well done and Weidmannsheil.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Congratulations and kudos for sticking with it. That's a nice buck no matter where you are.

I can see you advancing on him like Chuck Connors, good shooting.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Chi, not far from it actually, Charles describes the scene with cases flying. Do you recall meeting him at the first gathering at that restaurant, is it the Ranch Side Cafe where we meet? I know 71 Fan was in that group.

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

OS, thanks for sharing your hunting story, photos and...of course...your women! That deer will taste good! Beautiful photos.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tenderloins were great, my wife was very reluctant about it but said it was fantastic. Couldn't believe it, we had three different varieties of Anderson Valley Brewing Company Ale brought over by a friend who loves this sort of thing - a grand time.

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Great job, OS. By golly, that was a dandy of a story, well told, Nice country down there, by the way. The high desert has always been a favorite of mine. Great little three pointer, too. To date, I haven't touched the trigger on a buck using the 300 TSX, so cannot attest to it's immediate effect, but if the deer is hit behind the shoulder it should drop immediately. Mine sure did; the devastation caused by the 250 was dramatic, leaving the buck with no lungs or heart. Deer are amazingly resilient, though, and go quite a distance on instinct alone, even with their powerhouse shut down. Thanks for the trip. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great photos and story - congratulations!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The feast, Dr Phil straight from his office with the Ale and Porter cooking up the tenderloins.

Dr Phil is an avid hunter, shooter and levergun aficianado. He has a 444 Marlin.

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: 3 point buck, two levers. Feast added!

Post by Mike D. »

Mmmmm, lookin' GOOD! The Anderson Valley is about 140 miles from here and near to the home to our very own Tutt. The brewery kicks out some excellent beers, especially the Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. Gotta love Boonville. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Dr Phil, loves an oatmeal stout - we'll have that on the list next. Thanks Mike.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

+1 great job OS :)
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

Looks to be Bouquet Res. I grew up in San Bernardino at the base of Cajon Pass in 70s-80s, never hunted anything other than Jack Rabbits though. Spent a lot of time in the Angeles, San Jacinto, and San Bernardino mountains.

Couldn't make me move back to that part of the country though.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are right, we were essentially 6 miles south of Green Valley.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations OS. You broke the spell. But then you've also seen to it that the CFO has developed a taste. That's terrible. :cry: Now you'll have to feed the beast... if you have to go to the ends of the earth. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Great hunt and quite a longshot! Those tenderloins look just right. Congrats
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

California was, and still is, beautiful country wherever you are. Thanks for sharing!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Old Savage - Heart Breaker and Life Taker

Was this your first hunting trip wearing "Old Savage" cologne?

I was also guessing Bouquet Reservoir after checking my map, it looked the wrong shape to be Castaic Lake. I've never been up that way. Looks like nice country to us brushdivers.

I haven't been out yet, despite big intentions. I may be losing heart, due to all the closures, difficulties, serial murderers dumping corpses, loss of sleep, etc. We'll see. Quail season started today as well.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats, OS! Great story and pics. I only hunted up the Sierras and Cleveland Natl Forest in Orange & Rverside counties. Jumped a few on those cool fall mornings out near Lytle Creek, but put in for the area.

SoCal IS quite the proving ground for hunting. I think if you can put it together successfully there, you can hunt anywhere.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Fantastic OS. Well done, and great pictures.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Savage wrote:... Stopped hunting, shooting and reloading for a few years due to a shoulder injury
There you go! Not hard to figure out how you got THAT injury .... Just like I said in another thread ... just about every photo I see of you, you got your arm around a lady ...... if you keep that up, you'll throw your shoulder out. :D At the very least, you should use your left arm for the ladies and your right arm for shooting.

Enjoyed the account and photos of your hunt .... totally different terrain and cover from what I hunt in. It looks like a recipe for long shots. If Red Tail Hawks are a good omen, then we got lots of good omens where I live. I'll often see a Red Tail Hawk down in the flats between the yard and the river, out over the alfalfa field. Glad to hear of your wife's conversion to venison!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kirk, I hurt the shoulder of all things go cart racing with my daughter, the ladies are therapy. The program is working don't you think? I certainly appreciate your concern. The red tailed hawks are probably getting blessed themselves being around you and your lovely and wonderful family. Keep on keepin on that way.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I almost missed this! Need glasses!

Congrats OS :D Glad to see your still a killer! Oh and take deer, yeah :wink:

Thanks for the pictures.

Use a 222 next time bet ya it goes bang flop :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Enjoyed it.. Thanks & Congrats..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Second dinner on this buck. Cooked it hot and fast in a smokin' #10 Wagner with garlic salt on the meat and salt an pepper in the olive oil. My daughter was here this time and my wife loves this stuff now. Coppola of God Father fame 2008 Claret. Fabulous and it was fun to do that for them. The gift that keeps on giving. Hind quarter roast sliced 5/16" generally. Ghirardelli chocolate for desert. :D

dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

OS, That sounds delicious. Congratulations on gettinga fine buck.
How did your hunt with Charles differ from the previous years of hunting?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Charles is the master of knowing what they are up to. Interesting where he was telling me where he looks and where he doesn't bother to look and why, where there is feed and what their day is like. His whole approach was different, and the other guys are successful hunters but not with such a full idea. That is my impression.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good on ya, OS. Nice to see you snapped the streak.
Old Law Dawg