Henry Big Boy calibers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Henry Big Boy calibers

Post by azmark »

I just finished reading Paco's article on the .45 Colt in leverguns. I'm comparing the .45 Colt vs. the .357 magnum in the Big Boy. What are advantages of one over the other? I did some quick looking at sites of ammo manufacturers, but their specs are based on these calibers being fired from revolvers, not rifles. Anybody got opinions to share or references I can check.
Mark Dickinson
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Henry Big Boy calibers

Post by Beaker »

I would love to have one in 45 colt to go along with my .22 golden boy and my .30-30. The problem now is 45 colt ammo is hard to find and expensive. The .44 mag Big Boy would be my second choice and likely more practical over the colt .45 with the 357 the third choice.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I like the .45 because I don't have anything in .45 colt. On the other hand, I do have a Ruger GP 100, so I could have "companion guns". I haven't done a whole lot of research to figure out decent sources of non-cowboy loads for the .45.

I get a lot of conflicting opinions about comparison between the two calibers in leverguns.
Mark Dickinson
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

If you're looking for ballistics info, you might check this site out: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45colt.html

If you're asking about how the Henry functions with one cartridge versus the other, I don't have personal experience with them. When I inquired at my local gun store about them before, the owner said the .44 and .45 caliber rifles work well, but they've sent back more than one Henry in .357 because of feeding issues. Seems .357 has been notorious for feeding issues in other brands as well, though.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The Henry is a bit heavy to begin with and .357 exacerbates the issue in my opinion.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I seem to be hearing that there may be issues with the Big Boys that I haven't heard about. Are they unpopular here at Leverguns? If so, why?
Mark Dickinson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

azmark wrote:I seem to be hearing that there may be issues with the Big Boys that I haven't heard about. Are they unpopular here at Leverguns? If so, why?
Two issues turn me away from Henry's Big Boys even though I love my little Henry 22lr. First, they weigh a ton! Compared to other model '92 clones, the Henrys weigh between one and two pounds more! I'd get might tired of lugging one around in the bush. While the weight is a factor, the absolute deal breaker for me is, second, they don't have a receiver loading gate. That means you have to load them like a 22lr. That, I refuse to do.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I checked out one in .45 Colt a couple years ago and as COSteve said it weighted way too much. It was heavier than the Uberti 1873s with the full octagon barrel and not nearly as well balanced. Inside they are a Marlin copy, but without a loading gate. To me the tube loading would be very inconvenient and so I'd pass.

Marlin, Rossi, Winchester, Uberti, but sorry, no Henry.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

A friend of mine has the 357, 44 and 45 (bought one for himself and for his two sons). The only problem that I know he has had is with the 357; flat nose bullets tend to hang up when chambering. I loaded some XTPs for him and they have chambered everytime, so far.

As far as i know, he hasn't had any feeding problems with the other two calibers.

Personally, I wouldn't choose the centerfire Henrys, but he likes them and I don't want to discourage anyone from buying guns, unless I really think that they are junk. The Henrys are definitely not junk, I just prefer my Winchesters and Marlins (and my lone Mossberg 472).
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

damienph,

Could I ask you a favor? Next time you get with your friend could you weigh all three of those rifles and report it here? I've been curious about their actual weight since I looked at the one at the gun shop.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Joe:

I will try to get that this week. We work together, so I see him every day.

--Damien
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

Per the website, they should weigh in around 8.68 lbs: http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Joe: We weighed the rifles last night on a Detecto brand rotating dial scale (a food scale, it is only accurate to 1/10#); according to our scale, the 44 and 45 both weighed 8.6 pounds and the 357 was a little heavier at 8.8 pounds.

One thing about the weight, recoil is mild in all three calibers.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

darkwater wrote:Per the website, they should weigh in around 8.68 lbs: http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm
damienph wrote:Joe: We weighed the rifles last night on a Detecto brand rotating dial scale (a food scale, it is only accurate to 1/10#); according to our scale, the 44 and 45 both weighed 8.6 pounds and the 357 was a little heavier at 8.8 pounds.

One thing about the weight, recoil is mild in all three calibers.
darkwater, damienph,
Thanks. I always wondered what those weighed. They have to be the first rifles I've heard of that actually weight what the factory says they do.

Mild recoil .... I'll bet it feels like a .22.

Joe
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

I'm not surprised that the 357 weighed in just a tad more...probably uses the same barrel, but has a smaller bore compared to the 44 and 45, so more steel left in it. However, the 357 would also has a smaller magazine tube, but the net effect should still make for a slightly heavier gun.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would not buy a Big Boy. Why? They are ugly, they are heavy, and I don't like how they handle. On top of that they have that gun metal receiver. I am not a fan of this gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

darkwater: I didn't think to measure the barrels, but they look to be the same outside diameter. I didn't notice that the 357 mag tube was smaller, I'll have to check that next time.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Hobie: I wouldn't buy one either. That friend of mine is not really a gun guy and his wife is definitely not a gun gal, so when he bought his first one, the 357, I thought at least he is buying a rifle.

When I offered to supply enough ammo so that he could try all of Winchesters and Marlins to expose him to what I like, he proudly told me that he had just bought the other two Henrys, so that he would have one for himself and one for each young son... I just kept my mouth shut.

At least he showing some interest in shooting. He has since bought a bull barreled .223 Handi Rifle.

Lately he has been talking about getting a handgun, I am kind of anxious to see what he buys.