OT: How to retrive pics from a CD

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: How to retrive pics from a CD

Post by J Miller »

I have a CD with three files of pics on it. But when I stick it in my CD tray and open it, only one file shows.
Is there any way to get this CD to show the other folders of pics?

It was recorded on a separate Nero CD burner on our old tower, but won't work on the newer tower with a multi media burner, player, unit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: How to retrive pics from a CD

Post by perry owens »

With the CD in the drive click on "Start", then on "Computer" (or "My Computer" depending on the Windows version). The media drive should appear to have a disc in it - right click on it and click on "Open" and it should list all the files and folders on the CD.
Could it be that some of the pics are in a different image format, such as TIFF or GIF? In that case they may not show up if you are looking for JPG files. Do you get any error messages when you try to open them?
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Perry,

I've done what you suggested, but it only shows one folder.

No error messages, either. I took all the photos myself and loaded them to the computer all are in .jpg format.

Something must of happened to the CD during the burning that makes it not show the other two folders.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

Right click on Start, Explore. When all the drives show up, click on whatever that CD is in - D, E, whatever. All the files should show up in the list, regardless of type.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Joe,
Hate to say this but it looks like the other folders may not have transferred.
When you click on "Open" on the CD the the computer will tell you how many files it sees on the disc. If you click on "Properties" instead of "Open" it will tell you how much of the CD space is used. A typical .jpg image occupies around 2 - 3 megabytes of space so you should be able to figure out roughly how many images are on the disc.
Have you ever been able to access all the folders on the CD or is this the first attempt?
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yep, what Perry said....did you ever view the files before, or just thought they were there :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Markbo wrote:Right click on Start, Explore. When all the drives show up, click on whatever that CD is in - D, E, whatever. All the files should show up in the list, regardless of type.
Markbo,
Did that, it only shows one file.
perry owens wrote:Joe,
Hate to say this but it looks like the other folders may not have transferred.
When you click on "Open" on the CD the the computer will tell you how many files it sees on the disc. If you click on "Properties" instead of "Open" it will tell you how much of the CD space is used. A typical .jpg image occupies around 2 - 3 megabytes of space so you should be able to figure out roughly how many images are on the disc.
Have you ever been able to access all the folders on the CD or is this the first attempt?
Perry Owens
Perry,
Did that too. It shows only a tiny sliver of used space.
BlaineG wrote:Yep, what Perry said....did you ever view the files before, or just thought they were there :(
Blaine,
Yep, I do remember seeing these folders .... perhaps in my imagination.

Anyway if you look at a CD you can see where it's been burned. The file that shows on this one should only take a tiny amount. But, this CD is almost fully used and you can see the separations between the burns on it.
I know the three folders are on it. It just don't register them.
I think it's because I may have burned them in three sessions and the program didn't index them or something.

I'll probably have to dig out and hook up the old tower and burn a new disk or disks.

Joe
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Just for giggles, do you have it set to show all file extensions (I think that's the correct term)? I know I've thought I lost pics, etc when the default setting went to showing only .jpeg and I was looking for a .bmp file or the like. Or I thought I'd saved something as a .jpeg and it was some other format.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Have you checked the level of Windows Picture Lube in the Hard Drive? Not unlike chem-light batteries, it's a vital part of the plasma injector.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

J Miller wrote:
Markbo wrote:Right click on Start, Explore. When all the drives show up, click on whatever that CD is in - D, E, whatever. All the files should show up in the list, regardless of type.
Markbo,
Did that, it only shows one file.
Joe
Then Brother, that's all there is because by that method it would show all file types and every file. :(
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Not being a smart aleck, but try that CD in a Mac or even a friend's PC. Some drives and sometimes setting will prevent the CD from being recognized as more than one folder if it was burned in multisessions. If all your folders were burned at once, they should all show up on the desktop as being in one drive. If they were burned to the CD in separate sessions, it should show up on the desktop as three separate drives. Checking "Properties" on any one of those sessions will only show the information for that session, not for the entire CD.

Are you using XP, vista, 7?

Take Nero drive and hook it up to your new computer to see if you can read the files. If you ever get it up, don't eject the disk until you have copied those files somewhere.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

XP Pro

Joe
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

vancelw wrote:Not being a smart aleck, but try that CD in a Mac or even a friend's PC. Some drives and sometimes setting will prevent the CD from being recognized as more than one folder if it was burned in multisessions. If all your folders were burned at once, they should all show up on the desktop as being in one drive. If they were burned to the CD in separate sessions, it should show up on the desktop as three separate drives. Checking "Properties" on any one of those sessions will only show the information for that session, not for the entire CD.

Are you using XP, vista, 7?

Take Nero drive and hook it up to your new computer to see if you can read the files. If you ever get it up, don't eject the disk until you have copied those files somewhere.

Agreed if these were burned in multiple sessions try a diffent computer.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

We're going to either set up the old tower or pull the hard drives out and stick them in the current tower.

Either way, I'm going to have to do some work to get these pics seeable.

Joe
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm not technical enough to explain it properly, but there are variances in burners, CDs, and software settings. Certain combinations just don't play well with others.

Try to read the CD using the drive that you burned it with first. You might even use Nero to finalize the disc. Sometimes an unfinalized disc cannot be read properly. This happens if you made the selection to allow more data to be written to the disc later.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

vancelw wrote:I'm not technical enough to explain it properly, but there are variances in burners, CDs, and software settings. Certain combinations just don't play well with others.

Try to read the CD using the drive that you burned it with first. You might even use Nero to finalize the disc. Sometimes an unfinalized disc cannot be read properly. This happens if you made the selection to allow more data to be written to the disc later.
Vance, That we can do. And you may just be right. I have a lot of pics that I was thinking of putting on the disc but ran out of room.

Joe