Hog Control

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Hog Control

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Hog Control

Post by AJMD429 »

Too bad they were being just 'pc' enough to not specifically mention hunting them...

The other place we have too many 'hogs' is in Washington, DC, 'feeding at the trough' of wealth redistribution.

Anyway, it sounds like Texas is the place to be if you own a bit of land, like to shoot, and like home-grown pork-chops... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Here's a Video I got on one of my game cameras out at Honey Creek/Black Cat Thicket. This is only a few that we catch on the cameras. They say we have 2 million wild hogs in Texas, I think they need to recount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLdZ0MHLh38
Ricky

DWWC
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I watched both videos and all I can say is if I lived there and had property, I've have a 30-30 with a red dot scope in the truck or on the four wheeler at all times.

Just read in my copy of Kentucky Afield that now KY is starting to have a hog program and their department of natural resources is advising property owners to lock 'n load.

Question. Since these critters are feral, are they as edible as the 'pork chops' comment seems to say? Drop 'em, dress 'em, get the good bits and head off to the grill? Any special precautions?

Just asking since my dad does own property on the edge of Dan'l Boone national forest. If they do show up around his area, I'll put 'em down regardless if they're a meal or not.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hey Ricky - they are "feral" and "Vermin", so you can pretty much pop one almost anywhere in TX with impunity, right?

I.E., next time I go visit I take along my '92 loaded hot and just cruise the backroads?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

If you decide to eat one, make sure you stick your head in the gutted cavity and smell. If it smells sweet go ahead if not toss it to coyotes and shoot them.
"That'll Be The Day"
fisheadgib
Levergunner

Post by fisheadgib »

Amazing how things have changed in a few years. They mention Tarrant county having a bad hog problem in the video and when I lived there, I never saw a wild hog anywhere near Tarrant or the surrounding counties. Down around Llano and out in west Texas we saw them everywhere. Before I moved to Texas in 1986, I had never seen a wild hog anywhere on the Eglin AFB reservation and I have been all over the majority of the 750 sq miles of it. After I moved back here from Texas in 1994, I started seeing wild hogs all over the place. Those things multiply like rabbits.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

They are a pest down here. We have them at my shooting range and they root up the place. The owner says go ahead and shoot them, but he want $50.00 for every one you shoot, so nobody shoots them. We have had to run them off so we could continue a match.

If they are hunted they get very wiley. Those traps work for young and stupid ones, but not the older wiser ones.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I would love to shoot some pork down here in Florida, but so far I haven't been able to connect up with someone who has the land that needs help. I'm not giving up though. That new 45 Colt 94 really needs broke in right!

Cat
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

wecsoger wrote:I watched both videos and all I can say is if I lived there and had property, I've have a 30-30 with a red dot scope in the truck or on the four wheeler at all times.

Just read in my copy of Kentucky Afield that now KY is starting to have a hog program and their department of natural resources is advising property owners to lock 'n load.

Question. Since these critters are feral, are they as edible as the 'pork chops' comment seems to say? Drop 'em, dress 'em, get the good bits and head off to the grill? Any special precautions?

Just asking since my dad does own property on the edge of Dan'l Boone national forest. If they do show up around his area, I'll put 'em down regardless if they're a meal or not.
For me the smaller ones are good eating, the older boars can be pretty rank, but I've talked to folks that it doesn't matter to them. But yes good eating, usually a little leaner the store bought but tasty.
Old Ironsights wrote:Hey Ricky - they are "feral" and "Vermin", so you can pretty much pop one almost anywhere in TX with impunity, right?

I.E., next time I go visit I take along my '92 loaded hot and just cruise the backroads?
Cruising the back roads and shooting is about the only way to get in trouble shooting hogs. There is no hunting from road ways in Texas and no hunting property without land owner permission. You do need a license unless you are killing them because of corp/land depredation, as the land owner or on behalf of the land owner. Now with that said we see alot of hogs laying out in the fields about 100 yards from the road, heading away from the road. And you wont find to many people to complain about it, but it is illegal and if a GW catches you, you will be in a world of hurt. Alot of people have give up using deer rifles and have gone to AK type rifles for fast follow up shots. Ones you pull the trigger they will scatter like a covey of quail. I shot one on our place a couple of weeks ago and thought I was going to get ran over by the hogs scattering.
Ricky

DWWC
fisheadgib
Levergunner

Post by fisheadgib »

Charles wrote:They are a pest down here. We have them at my shooting range and they root up the place. The owner says go ahead and shoot them, but he want $50.00 for every one you shoot, so nobody shoots them.

I think this is the reason that the populations have exploded in Texas. There is very little public hunting land and most people have to buy into a lease. Most people don't want to potentially spook a deer to kill a pig, and most property owners want rid of the pigs but don't want to let people shoot them for free.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Ricky,
Great video clip. Was that from your camera by the property line fence?
BTW, the pork roast from my 100 pound hog is great! And the breakfast sausage made up by Po Boys Outback Wild Game Processing, is delicious.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Hog control?

When hogs are outlawed, only outlaws will have hogs!

Besides, I use the handlebar and throttle to control my hog! Wouldn't think of shooting it.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Jeff Quinn wrote:Hog control?

When hogs are outlawed, only outlaws will have hogs!

Besides, I use the handlebar and throttle to control my hog! Wouldn't think of shooting it.
OH, NO, Here comes 86ers next adventure. I'll bet he ropes 4 legged hog and tries to ride it soon. Jeff, I hope we didn't give him any ideas. Knowing 86er, though, I really don't think he needs help to come up with crazy adventures.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

crs wrote:Ricky,
Great video clip. Was that from your camera by the property line fence?
BTW, the pork roast from my 100 pound hog is great! And the breakfast sausage made up by Po Boys Outback Wild Game Processing, is delicious.
Charles, yea that's the one I moved, we also caught video of several deer moving though the same area.
Ricky

DWWC
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I only ever eat very young wild pigs and always cook them very well. Larger ones are basically full of worms and don't taste so good.

Because male older ones have not been castrated, females tend to complain that they stink of testosterone and do not enjoy eating them. We of course cannot taste the testosterone.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

we have the same problem in florida....but its not as extensive...yet!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS