Lever guns as Curios and Relics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Lever guns as Curios and Relics

Post by Gun Smith »

A recent posting asked a question about Winchester M. 92's with less than 16" barrels. I said I would look into the ATF information as sent to all C&R license holders. I will try to keep this list limited to Marlin, Savage and Winchester. I will mention a few others of general interest.

All the below listed guns are C&R legal. They can be legally owned with no special documentation needed. Any gun mfg. before 1898 is not a C&R gun regardless of make. Replicas of C&R guns mfg. after 1898 are NOT C&R eligable.

Starting with Savage lever guns: All Savage M.99 pre-war (II) w/S.N. below 450,000.

Marlin: This is interesting. There are NO Marlins of any age listed as C&R guns EXCEPT, most, if not all guns with less than 16"barrels. There are a few Marlin Anniversary M.39's on the list though.

Winchester: All guns in this list must have 16" or longer barrels. The short barrel guns are also listed below. All M. 53, 64, 65, 71, 86, 88, 92 and 95. All M.94 up to S.N. 2,700,000 and !/2/1964.
Winchester: All models with barrels less than 16", IF on the C&R list.
In looking over this list it seems to have virtually all M.92 and M.94's listed. If you own or find a less than 18" barreled gun for sale, I can verify it's registration in the manual.

Most, if not ALL Winchester M. 94 Commemoratives. Again this list can determine if your commemorative is listed. There is no 50 year old minimum cutoff on these guns.

A few other C&R guns.
ALL military issue rifles and semi-autos between 1899 and 1946.
Colt commerical 1911 45 auto # C1 to C130,000.
Most Ruger Blackhawk 357 and 44 Magnum. Many other Ruger pistols in 44 Magnum and 22 caliber.
All M1 (Garand) prior to 1956.
U.S. M2 carbines Mfg. before 1946. You must have a C&R license to posses this one. Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Clause!

Of course this list is only a small portion of the C&R manual. The manual also includes a guideline to determine if a gun would fall under the ATF rules. Also, the manual has the proceedure outlined in it to submit a potential gun to be included in the list.

Hope this helps.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Anything made before Jan 1958.
Slow is just slow.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm getting pretty close to be a "curio & relic"... well, at least the relic part! :wink:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

cas wrote:Anything made before Jan 1958.
Not quite right. If it has not been sporterized, or highly modified you are correct, but if i has it is no longer C&R qualified.
This means that if the general look of the gun is still the same it's still C&R, but if you added a folding stock to your Garand it wont be C&R any longer.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Also, check your state for additional limitations (even though it's a federal license). CA, for example, does not recognize C&R handguns at all.
Well done is better than well said.
roughing it
Levergunner

CA does recognize Curio Relic handguns

Post by roughing it »

Jayhawker wrote:Also, check your state for additional limitations (even though it's a federal license). CA, for example, does not recognize C&R handguns at all.
Curio Relic Federally defined handguns are exempt from the Certified List in CA. They cannot be sent to or transferred by a C&R license holder without going through a regullar FFL dealer. C&R handguns are one of the exemptions on the certified list requirement, along with specified single action revolvers, law enforcement sales and private party transfers.