Rossi 92 picture thread

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 92 picture thread

Post by Irelander »

Ok, I'm new to lever guns and should have my first Rossi 92 pretty soon. So in the meantime, I'd love to see pictures of all your '92 lever actions, be it Rossi, Win., etc. A man can't have too many pictures of guns. So post some pics for all to see your glorious collection.

One of these days I plan on having a collection myself.

Just to start things off - here is a picture that has been my desktop background for a while now. A nice PUMA 92 in a proper setting.

My apologies if this is your rifle and you were going to post this pic. :D
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi 92 picture thread

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That is my rifle! Send it home immediately! :lol:

This now is sans the wing safety and stock sights -has a slot in the dovetail and a new marbles front bead blade.

Really nice 44 Mag - great shooter. Gotta love the Rossi 92's!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A year or so ago, bunches of us family and friends were together for a holiday weekend, and of course everyone brought their levergun (a few brought bolts or semis, but we didn't do them the dignity of photos :roll: ). We had so many we had to 'segregate' them by brand.

Here's the Rossis (none of us has had the 'bug' long enough or been motivated enough to get a real Winchester):

Since then, my daughter got her first deer with a .44 Mag 16" Rossi stainless I gave her (bought it for me, but told her it was hers since she killed her first deer with it 8) ). So then, I just got this little 16" shorty in .45 Colt to make a "Night Scout" out of:

Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

The bottom 2 are my .44Magnum Pumas, the top is a Marlin 1895CB (.45-70). I've since added a Rossi .357, 24".

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Close up of my 1966 Antique Model 94.

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My 9422 and sleeping Mexican. Sorry I never took a photo of my .357 S/S Rossi :oops:

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Here's Hagler's

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pretty '92s!!! Almost as lovely as the '94!

A gold-toned and etched .357 that's my wife's CAS rifle...

A .45 Colt Short Rifle, my son's current CAS rifle, and my pig gun!

Closeups:

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

game keeper wrote:My 9422 and sleeping Mexican. Sorry I never took a photo of my .357 S/S Rossi :oops:

Reminds me of that Mexican revolution song, "Mi carabina trente-trente"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'd vote for that song to be the Levergunners anthem. :wink:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Derailed
Levergunner

Post by Derailed »

Just brought home my new toy today.

his completes my set. Now to make them user friendly.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Rossi .45 Short Rifle.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mine, worked over by NKJ, in .357
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Awesome guns guys. I can't wait to get one and join the club.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Here's some old photo's

Winchester Legendary Frontiersman in 38-55

Winchester 1886 in 45-90

Pre WWII 1994 in 30-30

I've gotta get some new pictures. I've used these a million times.
Old Law Dawg
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

My ASM 92 in .45 Colt.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

This is my 454 Puma as modified by Mic McPherson. It has the following:

Premium recoil pad installed
Mercury tube in buttstock
Refinished wood
Buttstock through-bolt conversion
Bedded forearm and buttstock
All internal parts plated with Robar's NP3 plating, a self-lubricating teflon/chrome hybrid
Trigger/action job
Action lengthened to accept cartridges almost 1.9 inches long depending on bullet shape. Allows greater case capacity and bullet selection.

There's more, but you get the idea. It doesn't look much different but it functions beautifully. I just used it at Gateway, CO at the Dynamite Shoot and won a competitive round on the Running Deer game where you get 3 shots for score on an 8 inch target on a "running deer". Beat out 9 competitors by one point. 8)

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote:Image
What's them thar three snap-looking thingies under the buttstock...?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Twilight Apertures in 3 different sizes. Mic has threaded inserts he expoxies into the buttstock and the apertures just screw in for safe keeping and ease of access. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Built 20 years ago on a Rossi reciever. 44 mag, 22" Douglas med weight match barrel, 14" LOP, short mag, action and trigger job. One of my favorite deer guns or more and a great plinker. At the time it seemed like doing the same on a original Winchester or even a Browning would be a waste. Its been a good investment and a great gun.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey RDB, that's a very tasteful custom Rossi. It must shoot well too! Someday I'd like to put a better barrel on mine but it seems to work ok for now. -Tutt

RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Thank you Tutt. Saw your location...lived in Ukiah as a kid. Then fell in love with a local Ukiah bell while in college in WA state. Love the run to Booneville and down to the coast in my car now. As a kid the drive to Booneville was a full day and not that pleasant of a trip!

Likely this one doesn't shoot a whole lot better that most Rossi's. It started life as a carbine and I was looking for something heavier with a little longer barrel. That was back in the days when you didn't always shoot 10 rifle in every SASS stage. Brownell's sells, or at least use to, sell 27" pistol barrel blanks at a reasonable price. So that is how this one ended up with a 22" match barrel. Now I wish it was a 25 :)

But the balance is good at 22".
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

.44 Mags
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

RDB, are you saying that's a pistol barrel blank? What's the twist rate on it? Pistol barrels tend to have much faster twist rates than rifle barrels I think???

Hanz, I sure like the look of those short carbines.

-Tutt

RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Yes it is a pistol barrel on my rifle intentionally. But 20 years ago it was hard to find a high quality rifle barrel in .429". Not that easy even now.

After all '92s are pistol caliber rifles. Douglas uses a proven 1 in 16 twist in the .429" specifically for silhouette competition and heavy for caliber bullets. Which is what I was looking for, accuracy with 240g or even 300g 44 mag bullets.

Shilen uses 1 in 20 for their .429 barrels. 44/40 liners are generally 1 in 25. Modern replacement BP rifle barrels generally run 1 in 32. Which is a little slower than Winchester used, 1 in 36, for the '92 in 44/40 and a 200gr bullet. Same 1 in 36, for the 180gr in the 38/40.

Winchester 45/90 originally might run a 1 in 20 for heavier bullets or a 1 in 32 in the Express 300gr. loads. 45/70 went with 1 in 16 as the norm for the original heavy for caliber 500 and 400 gr bullets.

There looks to be a trend here :)

I did a very similar rifle based on a '73 action in 45 Colt. Used the same Douglas match barrels but only 21.5" long. It likes 230gr lead flat nose and surprizingly 230 JHP 45 acp bullets and will put a mag full of either into one hole at 50 yards from a rest. If you can see an 8" steel plate chances are you can hit it with the '73. Never bothered to work up a super accurate load for the 44 as I shoot the '73 more for that sort of thing. Likely a good trigger and good sights have much to do with it any way. But I do like the horse power of a fast 300 gr bullet with the 44.

Last edited by RDB on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It's a tool, so shouldn't it be on my Shop Pegboard? :wink:
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

RDB, if it shoots for you, then I guess it works fine. There are many variables that go into making an accurate rifle and barrel twist is just one of them. I don't know anything about 44 caliber rifles (although my 71/84 Mauser in 43 Mauser comes close!) because I'm a 45 guy (45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460 S&W). I've used the Greenhill Formula a number of times to calculate the optimal bullet length and twist and it has served me very well. By his calculations, that twist would sound fast but again, if it shoots for you, then it doesn't matter does it??? Its a fine looking rifle and it sounds like you did a good job on it. -Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hanzerik wrote:.44 Mags
That's two of my favorite sight setups:
  • Shorty carbine with a Marble's Bullseye rear for lightning-quick snap shooting.
    Octagonal Rifle with a Tang Aperture sight for precision or long-range deliberate shooting.
The only difference is I added a Lyman 'Globe' front sight on my octagon-barrel rifle, and a Williams 'Firesight' to go with the 'Bullseye' on the carbine.
As my octagon-barrel rifle is 24", I filled the 'mid-size' 20" niche with a Williams FP peep sight.

Derailed
Levergunner

Post by Derailed »

COSteve wrote:My Rossi 357mag pair are a ton of fun to shoot. I got Steve's Gunz DVD and parts and did my own action & trigger job on them for slick actions and crisp triggers. I also got the safety plug to replace that stupid bolt safety. Working on them is easy and fun. I handload for them and I've worked up a few different 38spl+P and 357mag loads that run great through them. The secret is to use slower burning powder than you'd use in a pistol to take advantage of the long barrels. After thousands of rounds, I couldn't be happier with both of mine and if I had to cull out my collection, they would be one of the last to go.

Care to share your recipe's? I'm currently gathering pieces to roll my own and would to have a good starting point.

Thanks.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Derailed wrote:
COSteve wrote:My Rossi 357mag pair are a ton of fun to shoot. I got Steve's Gunz DVD and parts and did my own action & trigger job on them for slick actions and crisp triggers. I also got the safety plug to replace that stupid bolt safety. Working on them is easy and fun. I handload for them and I've worked up a few different 38spl+P and 357mag loads that run great through them. The secret is to use slower burning powder than you'd use in a pistol to take advantage of the long barrels. After thousands of rounds, I couldn't be happier with both of mine and if I had to cull out my collection, they would be one of the last to go.
Care to share your recipe's? I'm currently gathering pieces to roll my own and would to have a good starting point.

Thanks.
Check out this thread I participated in on AR15.com's reloading forum. It will give you all you need to know. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=325989. BTW, I'm COSteve on that forum too.
Steve
Derailed
Levergunner

Post by Derailed »

COSteve wrote:
Derailed wrote:

Thanks.
Check out this thread I participated in on AR15.com's reloading forum. It will give you all you need to know. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=325989. BTW, I'm COSteve on that forum too.
Great info!!!
Thank you!!
Yes, I will start low and work up to these #'s.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My pair of 357's

NRA Life Member
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

game keeper wrote:Close up of my 1966 Antique Model 94.

That is one gorgeous receiver! But "antique 1966?" Man, you really know how to hurt a guy! :lol: