OT- Question for the computer gurus

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Question for the computer gurus

Post by TX50Cal »

is there a way I can take a video that I found on youtube and copy it to my windows media player or just to my computer? I found a few videos I want the guys at work to see but our government computers block youtube and the like. I would like to be able to just send the video in an e-mail if possible. Thanks in advance.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- Question for the computer gurus

Post by wilko »

There are several programs that will copy/convert the youtube flash movies. some of them work easy, some are a bit more complicated but as usual i will tell you to be careful with what you download from the internet. A simple Google search will point you in the right direction.

I use the Mozilla Firefox browser which will let you download and install add-ons. One of these add-ons is called "Download-helper". it will let you download and convert flash movies to your hard-drive with one click of the icon in the browser... i love it!!!
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

The answer is yes, sort of, maybe.

First off, if you're using Internet Explorer, I'm not aware there is a way to do this. I'm sure that there probably is, but I'm too lazy to look that up right now.

If you're using Firefox (and I highly recommend it), there are a number of add-ons (extensions) that will allow you to right click or select the video off YouTube or other sources and save it.

Now what you'll be saving is a Flash video file, the file extension in the file name is '.flv'. Unfortunately for you, Windows Media player will *not* play back that kind of file.

However, there is another program (also open source like Firefox and also free) called VLC. It will play back the .flv file and a bunch of others that Windows Media (turn, spit) Player only chokes on.

I like VLC because it has a very low overhead and is very functional.

If this is a direction you want to go, please post back here and I"ll put up links and more detailed instructions.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Thanks for the responses. Any links or help would be appreciated.
Dave
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

This is what I use.
http://keepvid.com/
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

You can download the Firefox browser here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/d ... lang=en-US

If you're not familiar, it is a program that allows you to roam the internet and it has just as many features or more than Internet Explorer. Oh yeah, it's free.

After Firefox install, select Tools, Add-Ons, Get Add-ons and find the extension "DownLoadHelper". There's a bunch of others you probably want, like Adblock, but this one answers your question.

To view the .flv files, use the (also free) VLC viewer/media player program, you can download here:

http://www.videolan.org/

As I said before, VLC has a lot less overhead and is easier to use than Windows Media Player.

If you view a lot of .pdf files, go here for Foxit viewer

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

Foxit is an (also free) alternative to using Adobe Acrobat, it's smaller, faster and doesn't nag you as much as Adobe does. The only objectionable thing I've found with it is it installs an ebay icon on your desktop (easily deleted) and will try to add a toolbar to your browser during install if you don't uncheck the right box.

Please advise if any questions.