OT: Day glow green valve caps ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Day glow green valve caps ....

Post by J Miller »

Went to the Nissan dealer to buy some parts and noticed many of the new and newer cars had some really brilliant day glow green valve caps on the tires.
When I asked about it I was told they put them on when they filled the tires with nitrogen. :shock:
Due to the pressure sensors that are built in to the new cars they are now filling the tires with nitrogen. Supposedly the nitrogen does not expand and contract with changes in temperature like compressed air does. And I was told the nitrogen makes the tires last longer. I call BS on that. The tread life is what determines tire life. And that is determined by many factors, not just inflation.

Of course having your tires filled with nitrogen costs money. :roll: And that is the real reason to do it. Make money.

Another gimmick to rip off the consumer. No thanks, I'll stick with good old air.

These new vehicles have way too many computerized gadgets on them. I'm just about sure that my next one will be about 40 years old and will still use points and condensers and have a carburetor.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Day glow green valve caps ....

Post by AJMD429 »

I hear ya. The more computerized stuff the more you can't fix yourself, and the more someone else can 'fix' in a bad way due to some guvmint back-door required for patent/licensure. Plus, the more vulnerable our whole infrastructure becomes, the more 'cloned' and complex everything is. Not much in the way of intentional or accidental 'catastrophe' could have stopped all the model-T's on the same day, but one E-M pulse would do that to all our cars and the stations that fuel them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nitrogen is very useful in tires to keep the heat expansion to nothing.

It is no gimmick......

in racing tires. :lol:

You are absolutely correct Joe.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

There is a poster at the local tire shop explaining that nitrogen-filled tires stay inflated, whereas those filled with ordinary air won't. It claims that, since air is comprised of several gases with differently-sized molecules, the elements/compounds with smaller molecules will gradually leach through the rubber, which is slightly porous.

Rubber may be porous, as are most plastics for example, but the rest of it is complete baldercocky. Besides, air is about 78% nitrogen, so after adding air a couple or three times, the mixture should be almost pure nitrogen.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well it's like the old song says, "if you got the money honey they got the time." They will be oh so happy to relieve you of it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I once knew a guy who filled his tractor tires with PROPANE!
I did not work on his equipment after hearing him tell my foreman about that! :o
Nitrogen is one of the dry gasses. Maybe the little sensor that makes the low tire warning light work works better/longer when it is used. :? :? :?: :?:
Im3wheeln
Levergunner

Post by Im3wheeln »

I believe there is some small amount of truth to some of the claims about using nitrogen in car tires. I'm and avid off-roader and have a nitrogen tank keep the shocks filled on my sandrail. One season I had pretty much a full tank leftover after refiling my shock so I use it to air up my motorhome tires, something I normally have to do before every trip. After doing this for 2 or 3 trips I no longer had to add air before each trip. As a matter of fact, I've not had to add air to these tires for well over a year now. It seems the nitrogen isn't leaching out like plain old air did, keeping the tires inflated to more consistent pressures over time. Having said that, would I recommend that you go out of your way to refill your tires with nitrogen? No, but it they come that way, and it's not costing you anymore, I don't think it can hurt.

PS, I suspect the reason Nissan is using and recommending nitrogen is A, to claim they are "being Green" and B, to keep their air pressure monitor/valve stems from corroding due to the moisture content in compressed air.

Eric
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

A related note. My local Toyota and Honda dealers have added the tire association posters to their tire area. This poster says any hole in a tire located in the outside tread ring or closer to the sidewall is non-repairable. :shock: On my last set of tires, the ring of outside tread was almost an inch and a half. BSBSBSBSBSBSBS

Since the dealerships in my town are the only ones with the equipment to fill the tires with nitrogen, I assume more people will be taking their flats to the dealers for repair. Of which, most will be "unrepairable". When we first got a car with nitrogen, Nancy did just that and that flat cost me $600. I was out of town and the dealer told her we needed a new tire and the one on the car was no longer available. I told her to go ahead and get four as I won't mix tires. I also told her to keep the old ones because they still had 4-5/32nd on them. I was furious when I got home and found the hole was tiny and no where near the sidewall.

If she would have taken it to our local guy, he would have just patched it and we would have been on our way.

On a positive note, our Honda dealer will order directly from Tire Rack and not jack the price, mount and balance for free, and if you do get a flat repaired elsewhere, they will refill it with nitrogen at no cost.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

NASCAR has been using nitrogen for some time now. They discovered that where 1/2 pound makes a difference, nitrogen had less variance as it heated/cooled. I think they use nitrogen in many aircraft tires as well. They get hot QUICK and experience less expansion with nitro.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got a brand new Nissan regular black caps(takes just air?)
Didnt notice any colored ones at the dealership yesterday--- Joe ?
Maybe the new 2011 Z in the showroom ?
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Costco has been filling their tires with nitrogen for years. And rather than BS, it does maintain tire pressure much better than plain air.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It's just the way it is today Joe. we have to have all this cutting edge stuff. the service reps at Jeep reccomended changing the front and rear differential lube in the Liberty every 12,000 miles....with special synthetic gear oil at more than $200.00 a pop. :shock:
I walked 30' across the hall to the parts dept and they ran the vin# and said it don't require synthetic. cost Me around $15.00 for the Valvoline gear lube from the local parts store.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

.45colt wrote:It's just the way it is today Joe. we have to have all this cutting edge stuff.
There's a new (to me at least) diesel engine from Ford (and maybe Chevy) that requires refilling a reservoir with urea (IIRC) every 5-10K miles at something like $75 a pop. Supposedly it reduces emissions. If it's like uric acid, I figure I'd buy a gallon to use in the beginning then save the jug for my "waste water". With as much coffee as I drink, it wouldn't take long... :lol:

Within the past two years either Rod & Custom or Street Rodder did an article on using nitrogen instead of air. As I recall, they pretty much came down on the side of "if you get it from the factory or aftermarket wheel/tire dealer OR your rod sits for months at a time go with it but if it's your daily driver you won't see much difference".

AFA tire wear, I can see it helping in theory by limiting the expansion/contraction. If nothing else, it'll help keep the wear even with less effort on my part. Again, unless you drive beaucoup miles each year, I think any gains would be negligible.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My new drift boat trailer came with The High Priced Spread, and I don't believe it warrents the price to top off with the same. What I DO use and trust is a product called Ride On.
http://www.ride-on.com/
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

madman4570 wrote:Got a brand new Nissan regular black caps(takes just air?)
I have a suspicion that this dealer was retro filling all the new cars with this stuff. Most of the new ones had the green caps.

As for us having to have this new stuff ..... no I don't. Ain't gonna pay for it either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

J Miller wrote:
I have a suspicion that this dealer was retro filling all the new cars with this stuff. Most of the new ones had the green caps.

As for us having to have this new stuff ..... no I don't. Ain't gonna pay for it either.

Joe

Joe, its amazing the stuff they pull.
Everything anymore "is required" on a new car.
With the new Nissan (Oil/filter change every 6 months even if you put on say 2000 easy miles?)
Manual says (whatever comes first)3000miles OR 6 months otherwise good bye warranty!
What a bunch of stuff!
Me(myself)not the wife----I drive a 1995 Maxima(103,000 miles)Good for another 10 years
Cars older than 1996 dont require the computer scan at Inspection like NYS does and I am hearing Pa will start in 2012
That car is staying!

Brother in Law lives in NY (had) a 2003 Nissan Quest(78,000 miles) it would fail Scan Inspection(which goes directly to Albany) with error codes(though no check lights lit on dash)took to 3 different places they all showed it,though the van drove perfectly)cheapest fix($2800)
He dumped it to someone in Pa for $3000 and told the guy what it needed.
One of the mechanics also told him with the Nissans if you even tap your knuckles on the valve cover while its scanning it will send an error to the computer(people were getting ripped off this way?)

Also "IF" Cap and Trade passes :shock:
If the car isnt about new(your screwed)
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have a question !! If Nitro doesn't leak out - why do they need sensors. just askin !! Oh by the way !!!!NEVER Have Your Wife take the car to have it fixed. :evil: thats the way I look when hear some one tell of Their Wife taking Their car to have it checked out.

How R those Levers working Today ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

And those sensors that we can't seem to go without that tells us our tires are low are about $100 a pop. the tops of two of them just rotted right of on Blondie's Jeep! Leave it to the auto industry to take a ten dollar item and turn it into a $100 one!! :evil:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I suspect a lot of those buzzers and idiot lights will end up disconnected as the systems and sensors degrade and fail.
madman4570 wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Joe

Joe, its amazing the stuff they pull.
Everything anymore "is required" on a new car.
With the new Nissan (Oil/filter change every 6 months even if you put on say 2000 easy miles?)
Manual says (whatever comes first)3000miles OR 6 months otherwise good bye warranty!
What a bunch of stuff!
Me(myself)not the wife----I drive a 1995 Maxima(103,000 miles)Good for another 10 years
Cars older than 1996 dont require the computer scan at Inspection like NYS does and I am hearing Pa will start in 2012
That car is staying!

Brother in Law lives in NY (had) a 2003 Nissan Quest(78,000 miles) it would fail Scan Inspection(which goes directly to Albany) with error codes(though no check lights lit on dash)took to 3 different places they all showed it,though the van drove perfectly)cheapest fix($2800)
He dumped it to someone in Pa for $3000 and told the guy what it needed.
One of the mechanics also told him with the Nissans if you even tap your knuckles on the valve cover while its scanning it will send an error to the computer(people were getting ripped off this way?)

Also "IF" Cap and Trade passes :shock:
If the car isnt about new(your screwed)
So tell me about this Cap and Trade thing?

There is going to be a complete melt down in this country if we don't get rid of the current crop of communists in DC. That is a given.

Joe
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Since I retired I don't drive a lot, and had the sidewalls rot on a tire that still had lots of tread left a coupla years ago. the tire was about 8 years old. I assume oxygenation had something to do wth the problem, and maybe filling the tire with nitrogen would've helped, I dunno. I assume the green caps are just to identify the tire as nitrogen filled, not for some "green" thing. Hard to see how an air leak could be a contributor to air pollution. If memory serves, green is the color of nitrogen bottles.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I replaced the tires on my former GMC 1995 Safari van in January 2008. At that time, COSTCO installed nitrogen filled Michelin tires on it. In April of this year, I sold the old van (only had 204,000+ miles on it).

Since I heard that nitrogen filled tires didn’t need to be “topped off” as frequently, I kept a better check on the pressure. As I had the oil and filter changed every 3500 miles on the van, the dealer checked pressure then. And I periodically checked the pressure in between. Between Jan ‘08 to April '10, COSTCO twice added nitrogen to a low tire. I had the tires rotated every 8500 miles and the records did not indicate that the tires needed air at that time.

I think what we are probably experiencing is better technology through better tire and valve manufacturing (like the old stuck horn problem, I can’t remember when the last time I heard someone say that they had a leaking valve) and the beneficial properties of nitrogen which supposedly doesn‘t leak out as fast.

As for the valve pressure indicators, I think that they probably are a good thing. Most drivers don’t really monitor on the pressure until the tire is flat enough that it is easily seen by the eye.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I keep small tarps on my trailer tires to keep the UV from cooking the tires, dry rot in the sidewalls, works pretty good got ten years on one trailer and 75% tread left. danny
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Dumb question time; I have my own air compressor so I don't need to depend on anybody else for my tire air.

So can a private party buy cans of nitrogen for their tires, or is this another one of those; you can't do it unless your licensed and controlled by the govt things?

Joe
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Am pretty sure you can do it yourself.
Also I think you can just add air to a low nitrogen filled tire.(it just decreases the effcientcy of the tire slightly!
Disadvantages of Nitrogen in Tires
1 – Harder at Low Speeds
Even though nitrogen tire inflation causes the car to handle a bit better in many conditions, it does not handle as well in lower speeds. The car ride is harder and rougher. The tires will also grip the road less at lower speeds.

2 – Can Not Be Repaired
Oxygen filled tires generally can be repaired if there is a puncture from a nail penetrating the tire. It generally costs around $40 to $60 to repair a tire from a puncture wound if filled with oxygen pressure. You cannot repair a tire that has been filed with nitrogen. You need to simply completely replace the tire. This can be more expensive at times.

3 – Decreased Ability to Self-Clean
Tires filled with Nitrogen will not clean themselves as well as a tire that has been filled with oxygen. Nitrogen kits that can be used at home are expensive and require a homeowner to deal with separate tanks and cleaning facilities. Just not something an average homeowner wants to fiddle with.

4 – High Capital Costs
It is more expensive to buy tires inflated with Nitrogen than it is with oxygen. Initial capital needs are higher. Make sure you spend time saving money before you purchase a set of nitrogen inflated tires.

Now----------------
The Cap and Trade deal :o
Joe, you dont wanrt to know my friend!
Example: You own a 100 year old farm house on 3 acres!
You decide to sell or rent that home?
Before doing either the home must meet certain high energy/effcientcy/safety standards.
Lets say you are looking at getting $80K for that farmhouse that could use some repair.
Now,all of a sudden this home must have certain energy saving items. High E windows/sidewalls/attic/ridge vent roofing/no peeling paint/heating system/moisture mold proof basement/on and on and on?PRIOR TO SALE/RENT
What will the owner/renter have to charge for any structure?
Your Home cost/rent cost just sky rocketed?
That $80K home needs to be $150K
That $700@month rent needs to be $1300@month
People start letting the banks take them and no one buys them because now they need massive upgrading?

Moral of the story if ya ever thought about selling your home and it aint about new(probably better dump er now?)
If your renting and the place your renting aint about new-----get ready for a big raise your rent) or the landlord will bail on the place.

Just my thoughts and nothing more, but check it out for yourself and see! :wink:
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, only the demoncraps could think up such a cockamamie scheme as the Cap and Trade thing. If it passes it will be a disaster of major proportions.

As for the nitrogen filled tires, no way. I'll not buy any ... period.

And I've never paid $40.00 to $60.00 to have a flat fixed. At least I sure as heck hope not! I've got a slow leaker on my Pathfinder right not that needs fixed.

Joe
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe, Can just see it now? :idea:

Sitting in the 10X50 1963 single wide trailor drinking a cold one(life is good).
Then-----------Knock/Knock/Knock????
Ya set down your ice cold PBR and answer the door
Hello---they say, were from the C&T Commision.
These are required upgrades your trailor needs to be in compliance by next month!
($61,000 worth?????? :shock: :o )
Honey----You grab the kids/I'll grab the beer-----Were out of here as soon as its dark!
Why wait till dark Honey??
Would go now,but the dang car cant get a valid inspection sticker because of not passing that stupid inspection computer scan :x
Yep, well wait till dark and then put a couple wet tree leaves over that there darn sticker :idea: :wink:
Mean time, grab me another cold one and get yourself one while your at it!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The RR tire had a slow leak so I called Discount Tire. Talked to "Mike" who said flat repair was ..... TA DA!!!! = FREE. I said, I didn't buy them from you they came on the Pathfinder. No problem, FREE.

So I went over there and they fixed the tire ... for FREE. I like that price.

I asked him what he thought about the nitrogen in tires idea, he responded: "Nonsense, we don't even offer it here."

As for that cap and trade thing, I think that just might bring on the needed rebellion.

Joe
Im3wheeln
Levergunner

Post by Im3wheeln »

J Miller wrote:Dumb question time; I have my own air compressor so I don't need to depend on anybody else for my tire air.

So can a private party buy cans of nitrogen for their tires, or is this another one of those; you can't do it unless your licensed and controlled by the govt things?

Joe
You can purchase a tank and the valve assy on-line and have it filled at any welding supply or paint ball store, but it's not cheap. I purchased my setup specifically for the high pressure shocks on my buggy. I just use the leftovers on the motorhome tires. Had it not been for this I would have never bothered with it.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Next we'll hear that you gotta fill 'em with argon because bla bla bla...

What a cockamaimee load of BS!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Every vehicle I have ever owned recommended changing the oil after a prolonged period of sitting. This goes back to at least the mid-1980's. I suspect, like many supposed warranty-breakers, it rarely is cited as a reason to void the warranty. Kinda like reloads. I have never read a manual which did not say reloads void the warranty, yet I routinely hear people claim they had firearms repaired or replaced, even though they freely had admitted to firing reloads. The manufacturer can probably tell whether you have been hotrodding by examining the gun in question.
Oxygen filled tires generally can be repaired if there is a puncture from a nail penetrating the tire. It generally costs around $40 to $60 to repair a tire from a puncture wound if filled with oxygen pressure. You cannot repair a tire that has been filed with nitrogen. You need to simply completely replace the tire. This can be more expensive at times.
Why can nitrogen-filled tires not be repaired? Why are they different from air-filled tires? Who in the world fills their tires with oxygen, and why?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Senior Levergunner

6 v car battery obsolete; nitro technology now 15 years old

Post by 2571 »

[quote="pwl44m"]I have a question !! If Nitro doesn't leak out - why do they need sensors. just askin !

They need the sensors because some bean counter in Washington, D.C., says they do. That bean counter has never been in an auto plant, has never gone home from work tired, drives a rice-burner car, drinks Bulgarain wine, & wears clothes sewn in China. The sole qualification for his gov't job is his college degree in 16th century French literature.

That being said, may I comment that I live in Detroit am appalled at the resitance to automotive engineering advances shown in the prior posts. Seems like you folks want cars to last longer, get even more mileage but use defunct technology we had in 1949.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 6 v car battery obsolete; nitro technology now 15 years old

Post by J Miller »

2571 wrote:
pwl44m wrote:I have a question !! If Nitro doesn't leak out - why do they need sensors. just askin !

They need the sensors because some bean counter in Washington, D.C., says they do. That bean counter has never been in an auto plant, has never gone home from work tired, drives a rice-burner car, drinks Bulgarain wine, & wears clothes sewn in China. The sole qualification for his gov't job is his college degree in 16th century French literature.

That being said, may I comment that I live in Detroit am appalled at the resitance to automotive engineering advances shown in the prior posts. Seems like you folks want cars to last longer, get even more mileage but use defunct technology we had in 1949.
Well, if the technology would make the vehicles simpler, cheaper and easier to maintain then we wouldn't complain so much. But all this GOVERNMENT MANDATED stuff has done just the opposite.
Most folks can't fix their own cars and are forced to pay outrageous prices to mechanics to fix them. Or they drive them into the ground and then go get another one.

As for the 1949 technology, give it to me, I'll take it and be thrilled.
I can work on those and keep them running.

Joe
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Otto wrote:
Every vehicle I have ever owned recommended changing the oil after a prolonged period of sitting. This goes back to at least the mid-1980's. I suspect, like many supposed warranty-breakers, it rarely is cited as a reason to void the warranty. Kinda like reloads. I have never read a manual which did not say reloads void the warranty, yet I routinely hear people claim they had firearms repaired or replaced, even though they freely had admitted to firing reloads. The manufacturer can probably tell whether you have been hotrodding by examining the gun in question.
Why can nitrogen-filled tires not be repaired? Why are they different from air-filled tires? Who in the world fills their tires with oxygen, and why?
Otto :lol: :o

Guy, were not in the 1980's anymore! Come on now!
You buy a NEW car! With this NEW EXPENSIVE car you get a Owners/Maint package. Now, you also have the option to purchase an EXTENDED Warranty Plan.(we did)Bumper to Bumper 100,000 "Gold Package".Anyone tells you they are not worth it (on a new expensive car and with a Dealer repair labor rate of $75 bucks an hour,I shall argue that fact)or just ask the wife about her Nissan Altima having a new $3100 transmission put in that went south at 62000 miles. :idea:(plus a few other things)That extended warranty package cost her $1300 few years back)?
But back to the issue---- This owners manual has "required" service based on either time "or" distance.
You need to ensure you do these things in order to keep the warranty(period)
When you have a problem within that warranty window being it (either the standard warranty/or the extended warranty time frame) The first thing the Service manager will ask is as he pulls out his own BIG/BAD Warranty book while looking to see if its somthing(once they know what it is wrong with the car) that the Company(Nissan in this case)will cover,
he or she will say can I have your Maint. booklet with all your service records ?

Note: These records must be copied and sent to(in this case Nissan)for REPAIR AUTHORIZATION TO BE GRANTED. Its cut and dry! If you went 6 months and 3 weeks without service and the requirements were 3,000 miles OR no greater than 6 months sorry Pal! No more well thats ok you were over but?

Now, who said anything about a car sitting 6 months(extended period of time idle)?
This kinda now NEW car gets driven to a favorite restraunt my wife likes twice a week(usually Wed/Sat)and we just take this car :roll: except for some some small extra little jaunts in town during the week.
That distance to the Restraunt is a nice highway drive that lets the engine warm up nicely.(twice a week)

With that Oxygen deal? (was referring to air)yes I know what air is made of and its mosty Nitrogen.
But, two seperate tire service places, BOTH recomended strongly that---------
when you have a larger tire punture which can be fixed (no sidewall stuff)the only recomended fix can be a Plug and inside Patch repair.
They both stated they have been instructed that once this has been done to only use "AIR" only
Why I asked? Both seperate people brought some deal involving tire blow outs where people had a repaired tire from say a large nail and they put back Nitrogen in it?
Is it true? I dont know? and really are not concerned since I only use AIR!
Only going by their recomendations bud! Honestly, I think that nitrogen in your tires deal is kinda a snake oil sales gimmick!(I will just use about 78% of it in mine for free) you know---Our free Oxygen/Air/ or whatever someone wants to call it!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OK, Just called one of the tire places back right now----
They said that the reason is that if that repair does not hold up that the Nitrogen when tightly compressed because its molecules being much larger it heats up rapidly in that type situation and can cause possible blow-out almost explosion??????
I DONT KNOW IF THATs stuff OR NOT??? (dont sound quite right cause why does race cars and airplanes use it?) kinda thought it was the opposite in that situation?
When someone knows for sure let me know!
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Now, who said anything about a car sitting 6 months(extended period of time idle)?
I didn't mean literally sitting idle, although those are the words I typed. I basically meant what you indicated with your new car: it is not driven very much. Most cars will cover 3000 miles in 2 to 4 months, so the manufacturers (or maybe Big Oil) figure after six months, if you haven't driven that far, you should change your oil anyway.
But back to the issue---- This owners manual has "required" service based on either time "or" distance.
You need to ensure you do these things in order to keep the warranty(period)
When you have a problem within that warranty window being it (either the standard warranty/or the extended warranty time frame) The first thing the Service manager will ask is as he pulls out his own BIG/BAD Warranty book while looking to see if its somthing(once they know what it is wrong with the car) that the Company(Nissan in this case)will cover,
he or she will say can I have your Maint. booklet with all your service records ?

Note: These records must be copied and sent to(in this case Nissan)for REPAIR AUTHORIZATION TO BE GRANTED. Its cut and dry! If you went 6 months and 3 weeks without service and the requirements were 3,000 miles OR no greater than 6 months sorry Pal! No more well thats ok you were over but?
That sounds to me like they are pressuring owners to bring the vehicle in for service, which of course makes money for the dealership. I used to do that with my '95 Grand AM I bought in Marietta, GA, until I saw that they weren't doing the service properly. There were giant billboards in the maintenance bays listing everything they were supposed to do for 3000, 6000, 12000 and so on. One of the bullets for 3000-mile service was to check ALL lights. After they did five oil changes without catching a blown fog lamp bulb, I started doing it myself at the base hobby shop. I would even ask them, when they gave me the keys, "Everything good?" Yup. "All the lights good?" Yup. If they weren't doing something that simple and easy, what else were they neglecting?

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Air has many elements in it that are harmful to rubber. Nitrogen also helps prevent dryrot. Seasonal exapansion and contraction is minimal with N2, better tire pressure = better gas mileage. its all good info.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rjohns94 wrote:Air has many elements in it that are harmful to rubber. Nitrogen also helps prevent dryrot. Seasonal exapansion and contraction is minimal with N2, better tire pressure = better gas mileage. its all good info.
Lets see ..... I maintain my tire pressures. So no gain from nitrogen there.
Also from my experience tires dry rot from the outside much more than from the inside. Seen a lot of tires with heat, sun, dry rot, and other type of cracks on the outside that were pristine new on the inside. And they were kept inflated with normal free air.

I had a tire fixed last Friday and asked about this nitrogen thing. Was told by the Discount tire guy it was nonsense. A nationwide tire store and they consider it nonsense. Well, so do I.

Joe
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

more power to you Joe. no dog in this fight.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

Yeah, none here either. I started this thread cos I was curious about the nitrogen thing. I'd not heard of it before. I thought it had died.

Oh well.

Joe
2520WHV
Levergunner

Post by 2520WHV »

I get almost 80% nitrogen right out of my air compressor!

I think the 20% or so O2 (Oxygen) in our air is what could bother the pressure sensors in the newer wheels via oxidation. 100% N2 (Nitrogen) MAY increase the rubber life? Maybe......

So you get almost 80% Nitrogen for nothing! I don't think I'd pay premium $$$ for a flat repair. I have green caps from Costco now on one rig and they fix flats free... I assume with a N2 re-inflation..

I'd take N2 over air with a choice with no extra money involved. I wouldn't sweat my almost 80% Nitrogen air around here either.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

All good points you guys! I say whatever for whoever right.
The one thing that is impressive I will admit (the performance vs gas consumption of the new vehicles.(Example: this new 4 door Sentra weighs 3060 lbs)has 140hp with a CVT and on the highway it gets 41mpg
It gets almost as good mileage as the 1987 Nissan Sentra 5 speed 69hp 2 door that weighed like 2381lbs which I bought new(did get 303,000 miles on it when I had it crushed) :wink: Think in warmer weather I got around 44mpg with it.
To get a car that weighs what my older Nissan Maxima weighs and get 41mpg :shock:
I say anyone that thinks this is like the small older sentras even up to a few years ago(your wrong,try one)
you will be amazed.When you close any of the 4 doors a very solid klunk!(like my Maxima)
At 70mph the car is tacking 1900 rpms with the CVT, Hopefully the CVT lasts (their CVTs came with a 100,000 mile warranty )without any addtional cost.

But it seems everything now is very high tech and the days of working like on the 1966 Ford Bronco(which I still have) are gone! Even I can fix that one!
ChuteTheMall
Levergunner

Post by ChuteTheMall »

I've always used mostly nitrogen in all my tires.

Air is mostly nitrogen, right? :lol: