OT 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT 1911

Post by TedH »

I'm nearly completed with a sort of overhaul of my Springfield 1911A1. I bought it new many years ago as a Mil Spec model. Over time I have upgraded it with lots of goodies like a Wilson Match Grade barrel/bushing, beavertail grip safety, match trigger/sear, etc.

My recent experience with the Duracoat on the mod 94 got me thinking I should upgrade the 1911 as well. It turned out very nice on the 1911 too. I got a new Novak rear sight that fits in the standard dovetail cut, and a new front sight that is staked in. Problem is the only front sight I can find that is the right tenon size, is too tall. I'd just file one down, but they are 3 dot type sights and the selection of narrow tenon 1911 sights is very limited, and so far as I've found no one makes one the height I need.

So after looking at many front sights I see that most front sights are now dovetailed, and there is a much better selection of that type of sights. Wondering if I should just have my slide cut for a dovetail front? Who would you recommend for that job?
NRA Life Member
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT 1911

Post by RSY »

TedH wrote:So after looking at many front sights I see that most front sights are now dovetailed, and there is a much better selection of that type of sights. Wondering if I should just have my slide cut for a dovetail front? Who would you recommend for that job?
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1911serv.htm
Last edited by RSY on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Geez, I completely forgot about Clark. $85 for the machine work and sight installed doesn't sound bad at all. I'm going to stop by my local shop tomorrow and see if they have anyone local they can recommend, otherwise I'll call Clark.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ted, this post needs a picture!!! :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Here you go YK,

The Duracoat is what they call "Gun Blue". It's a lot more of a blue tint than actual blued steel, but I kind of like it on this gun.

I am real happy with everything except the front sight. At the range yesterday it was shooting my favorite cast bullet handload about 3-4 inches low at 25 yards. I didn't bring any of my self defense ammo to the range so I'm going to wait and see where it shoots that stuff before I make any changes, I think.

NRA Life Member