OT- Vang Comp for an 870 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Vang Comp for an 870 Remington

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Questions for any LEO or people "in the know" :D

I'm looking into making up a HD shotgun on an Remington 870 Express 12 gauge I have. It has an 18.5" cylinder choked, bead sight barrel.

1. What are your findings/observations with Vang Comp barrel work? Lengthened forcing cone, back bored, compensated, etc...

2. How much of a felt recoil reduction do they ACTUALLY provide? My girlfriend will also be shooting / practicing with this.

3. Are the magazine extensions really necessary?

4. Is it really worth the money?

5. Should I spring for the Vang Comp Ghost ring sights or XS sights?

Thanks for your help, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Vang Comp for an 870 Remington

Post by Pete44ru »

Tom, if it were me, I'd save the cash and install a good recoil pad, after shortening the stock so the LOA is best for her.

I think you'll find a peep sight, ghost ring or not, a hinderance during inside-the-house HD situations.

I use a renewable strip of 1/2" wide medical adhesive tape applied from the top/rear of the receiver to the top of the muzzle. If there's enough light to see who/what you want to shoot, the tape can be seen better than most sight except a more cumbersome red dot.

I would use the cash savings to buy or load some Low-Recoil loads for practice, then load for bear when the gun's put in readiness.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

[quote="CEMENTHEAD"]Questions for any LEO or people "in the know" :D

I'm looking into making up a HD shotgun on an Remington 870 Express 12 gauge I have. It has an 18.5" cylinder choked, bead sight barrel.

1. What are your findings/observations with Vang Comp barrel work? Lengthened forcing cone, back bored, compensated, etc...

More accurate, less recoil. At house distances, less of an issue, but still "good".

2. How much of a felt recoil reduction do they ACTUALLY provide? My girlfriend will also be shooting / practicing with this.

Felt recoil is subjective. My wife shoots .303 British off the bench and likes it. She shot a 12ga offhand and didn't. I would recommend either a good high-capacity 9mm or a 5.56 rifle with softpoint loads over a shotgun. If you have to run a 12ga, use reduced recoil loads (which actually pattern better anyways), or go to a 20Ga with buckshot. At the distance she'd be using it, the target's not gonna know the difference.

Considering that speed loading a shotgun is basically not gonna happen.....do you want four bangs before a click or six? I didn't run extensions on my shotguns when I had them mostly because I had enough firepower around the shotgun wasn't the only answer.....and I trained with all of them.

Yes.

At house distances, XS Big Dot express sights, or just the front Big Dot. I prefer ghost rings myself but i've been shooting aperature sighted rifles for 25 years, it's natural. For what you appear to be using it for, the dot is fine.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I believe that Charles Askins tied a big white hanky around the muzzle of his shotgun for use at night.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

CEMENTHEAD wrote:Questions for any LEO or people "in the know" :D

Forcing cone work and back boring do "slow down" the recoil, don't know about the comp. A stock of the proper length, it'll be shorter than you think if you do it right, and a good recoil pad help alot too.

I guess that depends on what you want. Without the extra weight on the muzzle end of the shotgun they're much quicker to handle, but you have two less shots. Most generally if I can't handle it in 4 rounds of 000 buck I shouldn't have been there. I do mount a side saddle on my HD/fighting shotguns.

If you're going to put GR sights on your gun I recommend the TracLoc sights http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3187 ... UN_DUMMIES They are much lower profile and easier to "look around" for fast, close up work. They are also not as "grab everything that walks by" as the others are. For most HD applications the Big Dot sights MrMurphy recommened are the berries.

Thanks for your help, Tom
What ever you decide to do with your shotgun the best money you can ever spend is for at least a basic tactical shotgun course and a box of dummy shells http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3187 ... UN_DUMMIES to practice manipulating the gun with. By the time you ware out the box your shotgun will be slick as glass and you'll know it in your sleep.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

After researching them and talking to them I finally decided a few years ago it was not worth the money to me. I used the money and installed a Surefire forend for a ridiculously bright light (actually only 90 lumens, but WOW!), extended magazine and TruGlo fiber optic front sight. I got the biggest one I could find at the time. With any ambient light it is quite bright. With absolutely minimum light (You need some light to be able to identify and shoot) it is plenty visible.

I ended up not installing a ghost ring as it necessitated keeping the gun cheek mounted. When actually carrying out drills, that is definitely not always possible. Recoil is not an issue for me, but one of the many A/M pads and low recoil 000 or #4 buckshot will help a lot.

The biggest surprise was patterning my shotgun at short distances. You could easily miss a target if you are counting on pattern spread inside a house... there ain't much spread at 10 yards!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

As a Before & After comparison (although I already knew the answer to "Is it worth the money?"), a couple months back I did baseline shooting with 13 different buckshot loads and three different slugs through a standard Remington 870 PMAX with 18-inch barrel at measured distances. After which I sent the barrel to Vang for his package on it.
Then I repeated the baseline loads in the Vang Comped barrel.

Most emphatically YES! It IS worth the money.
Buckshot patterns tightened markedly, in some cases dramatically.
Recoil is lessened (slowed down is a great term :)) with the internal modifications, making even three-inch shells more bearable. Vang says reduction is about 15%, I have no precise way of measuring it, but the difference is notable.
The ports reduce cheeksmack in holding the muzzle down during recoil.

Slug accuracy (three tested) declined slightly after the barrel work was done. Figured that was a fair trade, since I mostly intend for my 870s to be used as true shotguns anyway.

The PMAX had sights on it from the factory.
I have apertures on all three of my Remingtons, for me they work.
LPA rears are easier to adjust than the Scattergun Trac-Locs.

I have mag extensions on all three, I prefer as many rounds IN the gun as possible, I've given up on the sidesaddles OUTSIDE the gun.
Your choice on the extensions.

A good recoil pad is critical, and if your significant other may be using it, you should consider shortening the stock at least a bit to a good compromise length between the two of you.

Denis
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

I rigged my 870 police with trijicon ghost ring and front night sight, 2 round extension and a Knoxx Specops stock. It absorbs a ton of recoil and is collapsible like an M4 stock. Takes the recoil way way down. http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOp ... 8,1447.htm You can also adjust it to where she's comfortable with it and then to where your comfortable.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Thanks to all for the help/opinions. :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!