Accident 45/70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Accident 45/70

Post by Ravenman »

Hobie

Re: Accident 45/70

Post by Hobie »

:shock:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I guess some valuable lessons were learned the hard way that day :shock: :shock:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I worked with a avid hunter when I was young who told me this story after I said how I wanted a Rossi coach gun. He had taken his brothers double barrel 12 ga hammer gun and skipped school to go hunting. It was a great morning until he tripped. As he fell he had the shotgun rake over a deadfall and hitt the back of both hammers. He heard a deafing blast and felt the heat of the shells going off. Then He looked up and saw the holes in the bill of his hat!
He told me that thirty years had past and he still was shaken to think about it,also he never skipped school to go hunting again.
Ed
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

HMMMMM I went through all the posts on that thread and a couple folks asked about the second wound on his neck. The posted said he would ask his cousin, the one who was shot. The poster never addressed it saying when he spoke with the wounded one he was playing golf :shock: I formally declare the story B.S. :!:
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I've seen that pic before
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

There was a discussion on this some time ago, it may have been on this forum. If I recall correctly, there was a different explanation for those wounds that surfaced. I cannot recall, but it made more sense. I have my doubts about the 45-70 story. There should not be two wounds, unless one is the entrance and one is the exit. I don't think these two fit the entrance/exit scenario, because the flesh in between appears to be untouched. If a 45-70 slug did, indeed, enter at that position on the neck without miraculously smashing the spine, it would leave an internal trail of pureed meat as it traveled between the two points that would show as a massive, horrendous bruise running between the two holes. If the neck wound is not an entrance wound, then what caused it?

I dimly seem to remember something about burns from a power line as the second explanation.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'm with Kirk on this one.
Last time it surfaced, it was here, or the old forum [insert] scratch head icon [/insert]
Somebody saw a similarity between the pictured wound and an electrical wound.
There is no way that a bullet would enter and exit the neck without leaving a very visible trauma trail in between.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The edges of the wounds certainly appear to be burns.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

If the wounds are true, other than a lesson for firearm safety and how God was looking over those involved, no matter how you cut it that's gotta hurt. More informaiton needed.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm calling bs on the story given with the photos.
NRA Life Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

KirkD wrote:There was a discussion on this some time ago, it may have been on this forum. If I recall correctly, there was a different explanation for those wounds that surfaced. I cannot recall, but it made more sense. I have my doubts about the 45-70 story. There should not be two wounds, unless one is the entrance and one is the exit. I don't think these two fit the entrance/exit scenario, because the flesh in between appears to be untouched. If a 45-70 slug did, indeed, enter at that position on the neck without miraculously smashing the spine, it would leave an internal trail of pureed meat as it traveled between the two points that would show as a massive, horrendous bruise running between the two holes. If the neck wound is not an entrance wound, then what caused it?

I dimly seem to remember something about burns from a power line as the second explanation.
Yes, I remember it.Think it was on this forum also. thought it ended up being reasonably concluded that this was the result of a High Voltage electrical shock which caused these wounds?
Seem to think someone on here which worked as a power lineman said that is exactly what those wounds appear like when that happens.Just cant believe a bullet doing this would not to have totally put that poor guy down for the count or at least permantly paralyzing him had he even somehow survived it?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't care, it hurts... :!:

BTW, doesn't appear to have shoulder blade damage, does he?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

KirkD wrote:... There should not be two wounds, unless one is the entrance and one is the exit. I don't think these two fit the entrance/exit scenario, because the flesh in between appears to be untouched. If a 45-70 slug did, indeed, enter at that position on the neck without miraculously smashing the spine, it would leave an internal trail of pureed meat as it traveled between the two points that would show as a massive, horrendous bruise running between the two holes. ...
I agree that it doesn't look like the explanation, but not for the reasons that KirkD notes.

When I was younger, I took a piece of shrapnel about mid-way up my lower back. I was bent forward running away from the explosive and so this shrapnel entered my back at a shallow angle and cut my skin for about eight inches. It was hot and so it cauterized the wound to that point. Then it went under my skin and into the meat where it traveled to the right of my shoulder blade ... slicing away. It severed my Trapezius muscle and then punched a hole in the top of my shoulder. It was finally stopped by my T-shirt. My favorite Steve Martin "Wild and Crazy Guy" shirt was thus ruined.

I never knew I had been hit until I realized that I couldn't lift my right arm. Eventually, it started to hurt pretty good.

However, you would never have known that something had traveled under the skin and torn up a bunch of muscle ... or "pureed meat" in your parlance. Seems odd, but it looked fine. Perhaps once it gets under the layer of body fat, the destruction doesn't show through on the skin. It did cauterize some of that meat, I assume because it certainly did at the entry point. The piece of shrapnel was about .70 caliber and very jagged on the edges. When it finally fell out of the hole it was sitting in at the top of my shoulder under my shirt, I could see that the edges were full of collected meat and fat.

So, I would not use the fact that the surface looks fine as an indicator that a bullet hadn't traveled through underneath.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I am the VP of Safety for an Elevator Company and I have seen that picture in several electrial safety classes.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was thinking shoulder BLADE not muscle but I guess you'd be right that one couldn't tell from the outside EXCEPT his shoulder wouldn't "hang" right... Just thinking out loud. It STILL hurts to look at.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The more I see it the more it looks like an electrical burn where the voltage was so high that some of the flesh below the surface vaporized and burst forth through the burned and weakened skin.

The only think I'm sure of is that it was a lesson learned the hard way.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, if it IS a gun wound, it underscores the risk of letting a gun with a chambered round be anywhere other than holstered, in-hand, or in a secure 'night-stand' type environment. There just is no need for that, other than a self-defense gun kept in the home. Certainly not for a gun leaning against some 'rack' in a field situation.

I'm with the others though, and doubting the 'gun' wound story. A round like that at close distance would probably have opened up, causing far more tissue destruction en route to the 'exit' hole, unless the guy was just incredibly lucky.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Even if the story is a hoax there's just no denying there's been a lot of folks killed and maimed over the years by leaning/setting loaded guns on/against vehicles.

I keep preaching at my kids SAFETY - SAFETY - SAFETY! Sure hope it sinks in.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I would add SAFETY ON - SAFETY ON - SAFETY ON
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

SFRanger7GP wrote:I am the VP of Safety for an Elevator Company and I have seen that picture in several electrical safety classes.
Mystery solved. Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet hoaxes.

Rush Limbaugh was left with a little egg on his face this week because of a bogus Wikipedia entry about the federal judge in Obamacare lawsuit being heard in Pensacola, Florida. The Wiki post claimed the federal judge, Roger Vinson, was an avid hunter who used to keep a mounted bear head in his courtroom until the PETA types objected.

I am a retired Federal agent and have spent many days in Judge Vincent's court room during the past 25 years and there has never been a bear in the building, I promise. Judge Vincent's hobby is growing camellia's, not hunting bears.

Anyway, it never ceases to amaze me that people get their jollies posting bogus stories like this on the internet.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Greg Koziol
Levergunner

Post by Greg Koziol »

You guys are fooled by the picture take a closer look it's a BLACK WIDOW OR BROWN RECLUE SPIDER BITES THAT HEALED UP AND THE FLESH DIED, if you notice the blackish color on the outside of the wounds thats GANGRENE, the surgeons probably cut the flesh out cause it had all the venom in it to prevent further spreading of the venom
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"It was finally stopped by my T-shirt."

I have to get one of those T-shirts!! :lol: :lol:
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper