MOSSBERG'S 464 REINCARNATION OF THE 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
major
Levergunner 2.0

Re: MOSSBERG'S 464 REINCARNATION OF THE 94

Post by major »

I seen it on there website can't wait until it is avail. to look at looks nice from the pic's
Major

*If guns were your children how hard would you fight to protect and keep them*
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I thought they would be out with another caliber as well, but I think that may be later in the year. I like mine, but some have had problems. Hopefully any problems have been cleared up.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

Supposedly, Mossberg said that more chamberings will be coming soon. Personally, I'd be surprised if a .35 Remington wasn't added soon, but I'd rather see a .32 Winchester Special.
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

35 rem would be nice but I would love to have one in 7-30 waters or maybe even convert one to it......would be awsome if hornady would make a Leverevolution in 7-30 waters the cartridge has so much potential in a levergun.
Major

L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

Really with the new Hornady ammo any caliber could be possible within the action limitations. I remember that the leader in the poll was .41 magnum, but I didn't follow it all the way to the end. I think that 7-30, 218Bee, and .35 would be great.
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

I'm just glad there is still companies out there that want to keep the lever action guns on the market for the future....
Major

L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

So true!!!!!! I love leveractions.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BlueStateSaint wrote:Supposedly, Mossberg said that more chamberings will be coming soon. Personally, I'd be surprised if a .35 Remington wasn't added soon, but I'd rather see a .32 Winchester Special.
I know Hell will freeze over first but I'd like to see it chambered for .32/20 :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

nothing wrong with wishfull thinking..... :D
Major

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

if they would make one in the old saddle ring carbine mode and chamber it for the new .338 marlin, i'd buy one.actually, i think a src. in the model 94 would sell no matter what they chamber it in. personally, the src. were the coolest looking leveractions ever made.
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

I agree look forward to checking out the new 338 I bet in a src. it would be a bit tough on the shoulder after a few rounds tho.
Major

L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I am playing around with the .308 Marlin Express, and it is a good round. I am dying to get my hands on the .338. I love the Winchester model 71, and I think the Marlin 338 might be close to as great a gun as the 71.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I can't express how happy I am to report this chapter in my gun life is finally closed. I was reluctant to sell the 464 to an individual because I wouldn't want anyone thinking about me as I think of Mossberg for selling it to me - plus, the last time I sold a gun was in 1940 - and I've regretted it every since.

Making this story short, my wife was desperate to find something to get me for my 84th anniversary of my arrival on this planet and, as I've said, we husbands need to help our wives all we can - :roll:

I went in to a local gun store and - imagine my surprise - they had something I couldn't live without - a Winchester 94 Saddle Ring Carbine 30-30 (20" octagonal barrel) 1867-1967 Canadian Centennial - used but in choice condition. Owner is very experienced so I inquired if he would take the Mossberg in on trade - mentioning it wasn't a very good gun. He knew the rifle and agreed to take it in on trade - giving me nearly half to price of the Winchester on the trade - :!:

New (to me) one on the bottom - with my 1968 Buffalo Bill Commemorative with the 26" octagonal barrel above it -

It's personalized with a Williams FP 94-36 rear aperture sight and an XS White stripe blade in front - and it's a SHOOTER !!!!
I've had it a month now, shoot it every week, have disassembled and reassembled it and it's definitely part of the family - and my safe doesn't reek of the Mossberg any more - my wife, my guns. and I are totally happy again.

All is well with the world again !!

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Glad that dark chapter in your shooting life has closed, OJ :lol: But a Winchester brings in new light :D
----- Doug
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

I own a 464 that was bought new for $330 within a few months of their release...also own a few 94's and have been pleased thus far with the 464 shoots about the same groups sizes as my other 94's in 30-30, the action of the gun cycles very similar to the 94 in feel other then being newer and tighter (round bolt lug with spring steel ejector )then my 94's the sights is a bit of a disappointment tho...easy fix :) I also checkered my rear stock for a firmer hold on the gun and to add a little life to the very plan and generic stock. The factory rubber recoil pad it a plus by adding roughly 1/2in to the length of pull or at least in my case being 6"2 and a slight improvement in lowering recoil but 30-30 even tho recoil isn't a issue in 30-30. All and all I've been very happy with mine the tang safety is a improvement over the newer 94's on the market with crossbolt safety....along with the lifetime replacement warranty I got from davison's I couldn't be happier for the price.
Major

L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I still have mine, and it has been a great gun! Not a problem !!!!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'm sorry, but when I saw one at one of the mega-stores I thought it was another "Winchester" BB gun--and not from the best era at that. That was my impression. I appreciate the effort and that "someone" is out there providing the choice but, personally, I'd put the same amount of my hard-earned money toward a nice late Post 64 (approx 76-80) Win or a used Marlin.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey OJ, that's a neat looking Winchester. Glad it all came out good. That Buffalo Bill looks like it has some nice wood on it.
Ricky

DWWC
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I like the Mossberg. If Winchester isn't going to make a Model 94 (a couple hundred expensive/fancy Jap copies don't count) any longer then these fill a niche just fine.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

RKrodle wrote:Hey OJ, that's a neat looking Winchester. Glad it all came out good. That Buffalo Bill looks like it has some nice wood on it.
Yep - it does have nice wood - here's the other side -

Dunno if I've mentioned it here but, I stole that gun - but the statute of limitations has run out so I'm home free.

I was specifically looking for a lever gun and my good friend gun dealer, Tom Suter - may he RIP - took in off the rack and said he wanted $90.00 for it. Not wanting him to realize what he said, I wrote the check immediately so he couldn't change his mind. :D

Since they came in pairs and he had sold the SRC 20" barreled version - I theorized he made his profit on the SRC one and figured he might have trouble selling the 26" barrel version. He sold me a BL22 the same day and charged me $115.00 - of course those transactions took place in 1968.

Actually, he was the same dealer who sold me a slightly used 11 year old Colt Python (near factory new condition) for $99.00 that same year - 1968 was a very good year. Here's what it still looks like today.

He really was a very good friend.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good Story OJ. I wanted a Python for a long time, just to much money for me and they aren't getting any cheaper. Maybe I'll run across a good deal on one someday. I've "stole" a couple of guns before and it could happen again.
Ricky

DWWC
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I have to say I'm with gak. Looks like a toy. Just why couldn't they come closer to duplicating the lines of the original Model 1894? Copyright infringement? or what? What a piece of stuff!!!jd45
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

To Hell with that! I said piece of parc!!! jd45
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

jd45 wrote:I have to say I'm with gak. Looks like a toy. Just why couldn't they come closer to duplicating the lines of the original Model 1894? Copyright infringement? or what? What a piece of stuff!!!jd45
Huh?? This looks like a toy?

I just don't understand that. It's a FINE looking rifle by almost any levergunner's standards. Sheesh...

And regarding the original 1894 I think the hard truth of it today is that people prefer a lever gun that ejects to the side and that has scope mounts. The original 94 AE was still a dang good rifle in my view and I wish Winchester still made it, but this rifle fits the bill too.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I'd like to re-state my opinion. Based on what I just viewed, I'd say it's a fine looking rifle. The pic I looked at prior to this is what I based my critique on. Just where that pic came from, I don't know, but I wouldn't want a rifle that looked like that. jd45
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oly,

Speeketh for thyself ....... not ALL levergunners like or prefer side eject and MANY flat out despise mounting a carrying handle on a nicely balanced lever gun.

OK, having said that ... I had the opportunity to look at one of the Mossberg 464's not long ago. The lever was tie strapped closed so I couldn't try the action.
My opinion is this: If they can get the bugs out of the action, extractor, screws and what ever else needs it, ~AND~ if they would be so kind as to put some decent walnut on it, it would be a serviceable lever gun.

Not up to the quality of the pre AE Win 94s, not any where close to a Marlin, but serviceable.

JMNSHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Tell it, Joe! jd45
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My lips are closed... I have nothing nice to say about the AEs or the Mossberg, so I'll say nothing.

OJ... That's a mighty sweet Canadian Centennial... Ya done good. Mine may have been remade into a Trapper w/16" barrel... but the basic gun is sound. I'm sure that 20" octagon will be a tack driver!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote:Oly, Speeketh for thyself ....... not ALL levergunners like or prefer side eject and MANY flat out despise mounting a carrying handle on a nicely balanced lever gun.

OK, having said that ... I had the opportunity to look at one of the Mossberg 464's not long ago. The lever was tie strapped closed so I couldn't try the action.
My opinion is this: If they can get the bugs out of the action, extractor, screws and what ever else needs it, ~AND~ if they would be so kind as to put some decent walnut on it, it would be a serviceable lever gun.

Not up to the quality of the pre AE Win 94s, not any where close to a Marlin, but serviceable.

JMNSHO

Joe
I speaketh not for myself Grasshopper - I was talking about the market and what sells. I very much prefer a traditional Winchester and iron sights. :D

I think I agree with you on all counts (note the pic of the upscale model with walnut) and I hope they continue to sell and improve this thing. Come out with some more versions etc. After all, somebody's got to keep making guns in the U.S. of A.!

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

jd45 wrote:I'd like to re-state my opinion. Based on what I just viewed, I'd say it's a fine looking rifle. The pic I looked at prior to this is what I based my critique on. Just where that pic came from, I don't know, but I wouldn't want a rifle that looked like that. jd45
Well there you have it, at least I know I'm not going nuts. The high-line version with the walnut is a nice looking rifle! The beech stocked el cheapo version is nothing to write home about for certain. Winchester and Marlin have always liked to pump out cheap versions with awful looking wood as well and it just ruins their rifles in my view. Pretty much same as these but they're selling for a price in places like Wal-Mart so I guess it what it is.

Hey, I don't own one of these things but I'll admit to being a bit distressed at the rough treatment they're getting here given that it's a MADE IN THE USA gun and I often see raving here about the Brazillian made Rossi stuff. Egads, I've got eyes and I see them things in the rack at my favorite shop every week. They're often ugly as sin and very poorly made. BAD wood, silly safeties, often rough, could use parts replaced right out of the box - what a deal. But fundamentally sound right? You can fix 'em up? Well OK (!), let's give this American made rifle at least the same head start that we give those dang Brazilian guns shall we? I'm just sayin'...

OK, off my soap box. I'll find some other windmill to tilt at.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

olyinaz wrote:
I speaketh not for myself Grasshopper - I was talking about the market and what sells. I very much prefer a traditional Winchester and iron sights. :D

I think I agree with you on all counts (note the pic of the upscale model with walnut) and I hope they continue to sell and improve this thing. Come out with some more versions etc. After all, somebody's got to keep making guns in the U.S. of A.!

Cheers,
Oly
I did see the pic of the one with the walnut stock, after I posted my comment. Sometimes my machine doesn't load fully. It looks much better than the junque pine wood looking stock that was on the one I looked at. Perhaps, just maybe they got the extractor problem worked out.
I'm hoping someone here will buy a newly made one and give us a report on it.

As for many folks wanting side ejection and scopes, I think they don't. However they buy the guns anyway simply because that's all they see when they go to the gun stores. I bought one AE because it was THE ONLY .45 Colt lever gun extant back in 86. I've never bought another one. Most likely won't.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Griff wrote:My lips are closed... I have nothing nice to say about the AEs or the Mossberg, so I'll say nothing.

OJ... That's a mighty sweet Canadian Centennial... Ya done good. Mine may have been remade into a Trapper w/16" barrel... but the basic gun is sound. I'm sure that 20" octagon will be a tack driver!
Thanks, Griff - I owe it all to my wife because she was really depressed and encouraging me to find something she could get me for my birthday. She gave me that Hi Grade Winchester 95 in 30-06 and that's a hard act to follow. I had been curious about the gun shop and my dealer I traded with for a couple of decades just up and quit so I decided I needed to go over and get acquainted. Best thing I've done for years.

Long story short, I walked in and asked if they had any lever guns - preferably Winchester in 30-30 and, when he handed it to me - I was sold. It served double purpose for me (got a gun I love and made my wife happy - she's one in a million - makes certain our schedule fits my weekly range trip) and, in the six weeks or so I've had it, I've shot it every week - it's pure joy - great balance, tack driver, and every thing one could ask of a rifle.

I never imagined life could be so good when (really I thought IF) I got to be such an old codger but, it's a real joy to handle and shoot.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER