Wall Hangers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Wall Hangers?

Post by cshold »

I know common sense is, all my babies should be locked up tight in the vault.
“BUT” any of ya’ll like me and just have to have a couple of the favorite babies
hanging on the wall to take down and fondle, stare at and love over on a daily
basis? Or am I just a gun nut, nut case as Lady J thinks I am? :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wall Hangers?

Post by Pete44ru »

There IS a cure, where you can have your cake, and eat it too....................... :roll:

Construct a semi-armored basement gun room, with a vault door - and wall-hang to your heart's content. :mrgreen:

Just be sure to make the room big enough for an easy chair & TV/whatever....... 8)

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike,

Most of mine are on the wall or in open non-locked cases.

I like to play with them. :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pete44ru wrote:There IS a cure, where you can have your cake, and eat it too....................... :roll:

Construct a semi-armored basement gun room, with a vault door - and wall-hang to your heart's content. :mrgreen:

Just be sure to make the room big enough for an easy chair & TV/whatever....... 8)

I like that 8)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:Mike,

Most of mine are on the wall or in open non-locked cases.

I like to play with them. :wink:

Okay feeling better now :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I converted an basement corner room to a gun room by blocking in around the two interior partitions with cement block (the two/outer walls were two of my house's concrete foundation walls), and installing a (then) $200 vault door.

I converted the room's existing double closet to a gun cabinet, partitioning in a shelf, lighting, etc.

My wife calls it my "man cave". :mrgreen:

I can only fit so many guns at one time in the cabinet though - so I switch them on/off, depending upon what I feel like drooling on.

Image Image

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I don't have any wall-hangers, but I have several revolvers lying on the dresser or on a bookshelf. I would like to get a shadowbox-type display case for some of them to hang over the television.

I don't own even a basic locker, so all my long-guns are in the back of the closet. I guess that instead of safe queens, I have closet queens.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, I converted an basement corner room to a gun room by blocking in around the two interior partitions with cement block (the two/outer walls were two of my house's concrete foundation walls), and installing a (then) $200 vault door.

I converted the room's existing double closet to a gun cabinet, partitioning in a shelf, lighting, etc.

My wife calls it my "man cave". :mrgreen:

WOW!! very nice :)
Fourth gun (bolt) left side, Sweet I like, what is it :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks, but I only bought it - It's an issue 6.5x55 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - with .30-06's above/below it, a sporterized (x me) 1903 Springfield, and an issue tang-safety Ruger M77-RSI International.

Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

kept thinking It won't happen to me , Well it did. All 22 gone. :twisted:
Now I bought a safe.................Mutt
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Safe.

Griff's dictionary defines the word in two ways:
Safe: 1 - adverb, describes a condition where what's mine remains mine.

Safe: 2 - noun, a compartment, room or container that provides secure storage for valuable items.
On the other hand, when I'm home I leave it open and rotate which one's are in front so I can fondle my favorites.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

My three cheep Stack-On lockers are bolted to wall and floor in the back of three different closets.
In the hall leading to the bedrooms, my wall hangers are "grab and run" bait.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Mutt wrote:kept thinking It won't happen to me , Well it did. All 22 gone. :twisted:
Now I bought a safe.................Mutt
Here too. My folks got hit when I was about 12. Only lost two rifles and a shotgun, none of any real value, but it stuck with me. The only gun I ever leave out of the safe is the one on my body.
NRA Life Member
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I always thought a " wall hanger" was an old, well used, maybe even non-functional firearm. I have an old muzzle loader hanging over the fireplace. Everthing else is in the safe except my middle of the night "go to guns". And they go into the safe when I leave the house. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Almost all are in the safes. I have one hanging above the door in my office - a Pedersoli reproduction of the 1766 Charleville, and a Tower Pistol in the book case. You have to have something out to enjoy.

Only others out are the "go-to" guns in case the excement hits the spinning blade and I need something VERY FAST.

I wouldn't want to lose any, but could live with it if... actually, no, I'd be fit to be tied... :evil: :evil: :evil:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

It's just so much more enjoyable paying the bills with
these two hanging on the wall in front of me. :)

Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I have 4 wall hangers. One reason is they won't fit in my safes, second they are neat to look at. They are a Kentucky rifle, Brown Bess, M1842 and a M1872 Rolling Block (50-70)
when your enemy is within range so are you
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I bolted a heavy ring to the floor joists in he closet. A cable and high security lock let me have fondling access to hardware and easy security afterwards.

Don
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Kind of sad how things have changed. I well remember growing up not seeing the gun vaults that we have to have today. Heck I remember at a very young age the day my Dad bought a beautiful solid wood gun cabinet with glass door’s to proudly be able to show off his babies. I also remember a Grandfather that had guns lying here there and everywhere in his house. Good memories :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have any Wall Hangers. Most stay in the safe, but we all have a pistol by the bed. Sighthunter likes her Kahr, PillHer likes her XD-9, and my son has a .22lr revolver. I just keep a RIA .45 and my Puma 92 nearby. Oh, there are enough flashlights to cause a 747 to temporarily veer off course from DFW if they were all turned on at once. I would never wish to shoot anyone who breaks in, but I am going to make it bright enough to make every shot count.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I figure I only have so many years to enjoy my old vintage guns and I'm not going to let thieves deprive me of my enjoyment, so my guns go on the wall, and other plans are in place for thieves. Here's a photo taken this morning of one of my office walls. My wife just re-painted my office a harvest gold (fall is my favourite season). The rifle is an original Winchester Model 1873 38-40 that will be bringing home the venison this fall.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Like many, I display my firearms. I have other methods of denying access to them, some obvious and some not so. In addition, I have HD and CCW pieces staged in various places around my home should the need arise. However, my principle security is at the whole home level as my aim is protect all of my belongings, not just my firearms.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

KirkD wrote:I figure I only have so many years to enjoy my old vintage guns and I'm not going to let thieves deprive me of my enjoyment, so my guns go on the wall, and other plans are in place for thieves. Here's a photo taken this morning of one of my office walls. My wife just re-painted my office a harvest gold (fall is my favourite season). The rifle is an original Winchester Model 1873 38-40 that will be bringing home the venison this fall.

Very nice Kirk,
A one thing for certain, we can't take them with us. :wink:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I can't remember when I heard of a house break-in and things stolen around here. Not that it couldnt happen, it's just so rare that nobody I know has heard of any around here. It's very rural, and many retired folks around, meaning people home thru the day. Pays to know your neighbors!

Last edited by Malamute on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Those actually on my wall are my three flintlocks, the .54 rifle, the .62 smoothbore and the brown bess. I have a floor rack which has "guns in transitition" ie, those moving our of the collection, and those with "handles" on them as they don't match the amount of room available in the other location. My WWG with scout scope, and my Ed Brown bolt rifle and .450/400 double are here. The other is show case, lower section allows viewing of the Freedom arms 475 and 45, upper has the midland, parker, paradox, .357, .22mag, 22lr levers and cape gun in 16ga/11mm - all behind glass for viewing. ammo is in a closet, sorted by caliber in ammo cans, along with reloading supplies sorted. Other various handguns are located elsewhere.

My flintlock smoothbore rests where the side by side percussion 12 bore is in this picture:

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mike, I sure do covet that cotton canvas bag of yours every time I see it in a picture :wink:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

By gum, Malamute, you have natural talent as a photographer. Those are great shots.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/