Speer "Hot Cor" vs "Deep Curl"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Speer "Hot Cor" vs "Deep Curl"

Post by J Miller »

I just read 86ers four test report posts and came to my own conclusions about the ammo and bullets.

What I'd like to know is has anybody got any info about the differences between the Speer "Hot Cor" and "Deep Curl" bullets? I've not seen any of the "Deep Curl" 30-30 bullets yet, only heard of them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Speer "Hot Cor" vs "Deep Curl"

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

There was an article in one of the rags a while back talking about the Deep Curl line. Perhaps it was American Rifleman. If I recall correctly, the Deep Curl is going to be Speer's truly bonded core versus the HotCor's poured core or whatever it is. They touted other changes as well ... I believe jacket thickness variances to improve performance, etc. I suppose they couldn't just move to a bonded core because then they are just sort of joining the current technology. They have to make other changes to have enough for marketing to sell the new line. There are probably a lot of HotCor users that are hesitant about the change. I've used a lot of #2748 and I like it ... plus it's inexpensive for what it is. It's still a HotCor bullet. Eventually though, they'll get around to the 45 caliber and convert it to Deep Curl as well as they retire the HotCor stuff.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
2520WHV
Levergunner

Post by 2520WHV »

Speer seems to be having trouble getting off the ground on schedule with their "Deep Curl"....... I have watched all year for major distributors like Midway and Graf & Sons to get them in to no avail! Midway said April, then May, then June; finally they removed it from their listings!

I hope it's worth the wait!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm hoping this "new" design isn't just an excuse to jack the prices up more. They're already getting to the point I can't afford them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Does anybody know if the new "Deep Curl" bullets will have the same profile and good B.C. as the "Hot Core" had?
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

From what I've read eventually the entire hot core line will be changed over to the deep curl design. Mcnut job I wish the Speer bullets were cheap where I'm at. Here in my local they are more expensive than the sierra's. After reading 86ers informative post I'm wondering if the 150gr Hot Core behaves the same as the 170gr version.

Slimster I looked in my #14 Speer manual and the updated website a while back and the BC is quite close if not the same IIRC.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Is there photos somewhere that shows the difference between the Hot Cor and the Deep Curl bullets?
I'm curious.

Joe
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

This is what someone from ATK said "off the record" and added they were "pretty sure but not certain". The Deep Curl bullet is the same design specs as the Hot Core, but with a bonded core or hardened lead and a skived jacket at the nose. The "Fusion" bullet will be essentially the Hot Core with an annealled (softened) jacket, soft lead core and a skived jacket at the nose.

I have no idea how these will perform, but the Fusion is specifically tailored for deer, while the Deep Curl is toted as a premium bullet for extreme applications.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Joe,

Thanks for the clarification.
So then when we go to our local gun store we'll have two choices of Speer 30-30 bullets?
I'll wager that the Fusion bullets will come 100 to a box and the Deep Curl will be 50 to a box. That seems to be the general way the bullet companies handle the standard vs premium bullets.

When they do come out I hope you do a side by test with the current Hot Cor versions. That would be very interesting.

Joe
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I found a writeup for the Speer .308 Deep Curl 180-grain spitzer in the March 2010 issue of Rifle. It noted that the bullets will be boxed per 100 at an MSRP of $36.95. Of particular note is that these bullets are electro-chemically bonded instead of being bonded via soldering. This process apparently allows the jacket to not go through a heating stage and thus the jacket is not annealed during the process ... retaining its work hardened state. I assume this makes it somewhat tougher during expansion and perhaps reduces jacket fouling in the barrel as well.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ouch, 37¢ per each. I won't be buying many if any of those.

Well, maybe if I get back out the west and can hunt with a rifle again.

Hopefully the others won't be near that much.

Joe
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

They'll probably end up about $32 per hundred by the time they get to the online retailers.