Low recoil shotgun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Low recoil shotgun?

Post by El Chivo »

Last time I fired my Pardner 12 gauge it left a huge purple and black bruise on my arm (didn't know it until bath time - darned thing wouldn't wash off) so I'm thinking about having a second barrel made in a lighter-recoiling gauge.

20 gauge comes to mind but some have said recoil is about the same. How about 28 gauge? Or smaller?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Low recoil shotgun?

Post by horsesoldier03 »

IMO, it would cost more to get a 2nd barrel for it than to just pick up another shotgun. I have a J.C. Higgins Bolt Action 12 ga that SHOCKED me as to how soft it shoots, even with a slug. It must be that little bit of extra weight. I picked it up at a gun show for $50. Needless to say, its my Truck/Boat gun.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Why not try lighter loaded shells? 1oz or less may still pattern well at thirty yards.

Another option would be to buy a Gaugemate, I have one for my 16GA that converts it to .410 and it works very well. They come in most gauges and are inexpensive.

I would post a link but their website is down at the moment.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:Why not try lighter loaded shells? 1oz or less may still pattern well at thirty yards.

Another option would be to buy a Gaugemate, I have one for my 16GA that converts it to .410 and it works very well. They come in most gauges and are inexpensive.

I would post a link but their website is down at the moment.
+1 on both counts

They sell recoil-reduced loads for the 12 and 20 gauges. I used the latter for Y2K to get him started.

I also have a set of bore-reducers. 12-to-20 and 20-to-410. You can actually stack them to go from a 12-to-410. Very cool for a single-shot or double-barrel shotgun!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a Savage Four-tenner for my H&R Topper. However, some bruising comes from not properly seating the butt in the shoulder before touching one off.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I have a 12 guage Toppper Deluxe Classic. When shooting target loads the recoil is not much more than from my Remington 1100.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I have 2 of the 20 ga single shot break overs, they both kick like a mule. My 12 yr old grandson was using one (the one with a recoil pad) for his first attempt at trap shooting. He fired 3 rounds and quit, too much recoil. I bought him a PAST Recoil Shield (1/2 inch thick) and the next time he went the full 25 shot round with no problem. So, my point is get yourself a PAST recoil shield and enjoy.
UNITE
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Mokwaw wrote: So, my point is get yourself a PAST recoil shield and enjoy.
These work well, I've got one I've used for 30 years sighting heavies off the bench. Best way to cure recoil in a shotgun is get a heavier gun. I've steered people away from buying 20ga SS's for their kid's first gun for years. A good pump kicks much less due to the weight.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I think I just found the answer you are looking for. Winchester has always had AA light trap load, which isn't too bad. But they just came out with a low recoil/low noise load in 12 Gauge which is so gentle I had young kids shooting my Remington 870. My Nine year old handled them with ease. Walmart has them here.....look for the Winchester AA Trap and the words "Low Recoil/Low Noise" on the box. They are not the extra light trap. The box has a yellow starburst on it. It's about like a 20 or better. Very excited as my wife will love shooting those loads as well. They do burn a little dirty in my double, but a couple of standard AA trap at the end seems to clean things up. The box claims a 50% recoil reduction from standard trap shells, and that is about what it feels like to me. Very easy going.

I know that bloody shoulder well from having grown up with the Topper and other single shots. 3" Mags sure get a bit painful. :shock:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

Knoxx comp-stocks, I believe now owned by Blackhawk! has recoil reducing stocks. The SpecOps on my 870p reduces recoil down to around a 28g auto. Used to have one with their wire folding stocks and even my little bitty girlfriend could shoot slugs one handed with it. VERY effective, but also ugly as sin lol.
Technical Director
Levergunner

Post by Technical Director »

El Chivo wrote:Last time I fired my Pardner 12 gauge it left a huge purple and black bruise on my arm (didn't know it until bath time - darned thing wouldn't wash off) so I'm thinking about having a second barrel made in a lighter-recoiling gauge.

20 gauge comes to mind but some have said recoil is about the same. How about 28 gauge? Or smaller?
Have you considered any of the specialized recoil pads that are available?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Friend, trust me-----------------------You want a Remington 1100 LT-20
Wife/Daughter have the skeet version and that thing kicks about like a AR-15
What a nice gun! myself, I would not go smaller than that in a 20gauge :?:
With that LT-20 you can shoot 100rds and not even notice it!
There' might be cheaper guns but, every time you pull the trigger on it you will think"yep its worth it" :wink:

In fact I really wish you could try both the 12ga and 20ga in the Remington 1100
http://internationalguns.com/images/Gun ... _gun_l.jpg
My bet is, even with the 12ga Rem 1100 you would say" this is nothing,I can handle this easy"
Look at this below---------
http://www.ktpguns.com/interior.php/pid/28/gid/151953
Kittery usually comes down at least $25 on a gun priced at that range.
Where else can you find anywhere a 95% Rem 1100 for $275 :)
See why I cant stop buying somthing from them? And what I like about them is they grade their guns "very conservatively" so basically a 95% one is about like "new"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There's also a couple other things you can do. Having the forcing cone opened up helps, as does having the barrel back bored. As has been mentioned, a good pad, like a Decelerator or Kickeez at the correct angle is helpful. I like them with the toe about 1/8" short of square off the comb angle. It keeps the muzzle rise down a little. The low recoil loads are nice also.

My vote is for the old Remington model 11 in 20 gauge. The long recoil action makes for a soft shooting gun. The 20 gauge 1100's are probably as soft shooting.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

From their website, the Gaugemate is $169. From the H&R website, a new barrel would be $99. You can get a new H&R .410 from Buds shipped for $140 - only $41 more than just a barrel.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Chas. wrote:From their website, the Gaugemate is $169. From the H&R website, a new barrel would be $99. You can get a new H&R .410 from Buds shipped for $140 - only $41 more than just a barrel.
The silver Gaugemate 12GA to 20GA is only $37.99 or $55.99 a pair.

The silver one is what I use and it does what the makers claim.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Use GaugeMates of Chamber Mates in 20 or 28 bore. The extreme over-bore situation reduced pressure greatly and also spreads it out so the recoil is minimal.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Aside from the fancy trap guns with superb recoil control, porting, etc, for a poor boy, the light AA low noise, low recoil (used to be called featherlites) combined with a C-H mercury recoil reducer in the stock and PROPERLY FIT simple recoil pad works wonders. Get yerself to a shop that specializes in shotguns, have them look at how yer gun fits you, and get a decent rubber pad installed at the proper length of pull FOR YOU. That and of course, get the gun glued to ya and put 2/3 of your weight on the forward foot when ya trip the loud switch.

I have a surgically-rebuilt neck and with the C-H reducer and LN-LR AAs I'm good for 50 rounds no sweat, even without the recoil pad (mine is factory hard rubber).
Certified gun nut
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

El Chivo wrote:Last time I fired my Pardner 12 gauge it left a huge purple and black bruise on my arm (didn't know it until bath time - darned thing wouldn't wash off) so I'm thinking about having a second barrel made in a lighter-recoiling gauge.

Guess should have asked "what do you want the mainly shotgun for? (or kinda a everything type)?
If your State allows a semi-auto for what you want in a shotgun---You really need to try one like a 1100
Compared to that hard kicking 12ga single(recoil wise it cant be explained without you trying one)
Go to a gun shop/or a friend and ask where you can try one! See about shooting a round of skeet to get an idea?
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

It is a lack of training thing. Check with any FBI HRT guys that know who Rob Haught is and ask them to show you how to handle recoil.
It is not the critic who counts
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I had my dearly departed Mossy 500 Cruiser outfitted with Knoxx recoil reducing stock, which helped take the bite off slugs. Also, shot isn't the only thing you can buy in reduced recoil; slugs come in that flavor as well. Shell selection is probably the biggest mitigating factor in your recoil experience.

That said, i've considered one of these on several occasions--
IAC/Noriko replica 1887
http://www.iacshotguns.com/images/1887RGBsm.png

Oh oh! Don't forget ebay when looking at those knoxx stocks. You can usally get them $40 cheaper than retail, which normally pushes $100.00
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Take a look at the Remington 1100 Youth Model. 21" bbl, neat, smaller receiver that fits your hand real well, and add a slip-on pad to get the length of pull of a full sized gun. I have one and I don't look at shotguns anymore because I'm so satisfied with it. 20 gauge.

Not sure if this model is still made but used ones should not be too hard to find on the internet.

A super handy, easy carrying, soft recoiling gun!

Don McCullough
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

getitdone1 wrote:Take a look at the Remington 1100 Youth Model. 21" bbl, neat, smaller receiver that fits your hand real well, and add a slip-on pad to get the length of pull of a full sized gun. I have one and I don't look at shotguns anymore because I'm so satisfied with it. 20 gauge.

Not sure if this model is still made but used ones should not be too hard to find on the internet.

A super handy, easy carrying, soft recoiling gun!

Don McCullough

+1 :wink:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Technical Director wrote:

Have you considered any of the specialized recoil pads that are available?
I know that WalMart has, in the past, sold an inexpensive "SlipOn" pad just for that purpose.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The recoil reducers in this link have proven effective for me. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4927 ... SUPPRESSOR
The magazine model in my 870 replaces the plug, reduces jump against the cheek and smooths the swing. Add ultra lite target loads and trap shooting is all pleasure and no pain.

I believe the greatest cause of shotgun recoil is sloppy head-space which is common in most single shot break-open guns.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Recoil comes from the weight of the shot charge, and the velocity at which it's being pushed down the barrel. More of either, and the gun is going to kick harder. So to decrease the amount of felt recoil you either push less shot down the barrel, push it down the barrel slower, add weight to the gun, get a better recoil pad. As has already been mentioned, Winchester's Feather Lite load is a good choice for casual clay shooting. It's 26 grams (just under one ounce of shot) going less than 1000 fps. For hunting, 1 1/4 oz of shoot at 1220 fps (3 1/4 dram) would be the heaviest load I'd shoot, and it's still going to hurt. Standard buckshot loads are going to hurt too, and forget about 3" mags! Any load going faster than 1200 fps and heavier than 1 oz is going to get your attention.

I know a lot of people like to buy the break action single shots because they're cheap, but quite frankly that's the only good thing about them. And unfortunately a lot of children's first (and last) experience with a shotgun is with one of these little beasts chambered in 20 ga. I'd consider one in .410 or 28 ga to spend it's days sitting in a corner near the back door, but that would be it. You want to do any sort of volume shooting with a 12 ga, it needs to weigh at least 7 1/2 pounds, ie pump, auto, or O/U.

~Michael
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Perhaps they are not totally new and the secret has been out for some time now, but for about 8 bucks, I would really urge you guys to try a box of those Low Recoil/Low Report loads from Win. AA, available at Wal Mart and Dicks. You have to look for the right ones, but they are on the shelves here in the North East. They are not the light or extra light target loads but are marked Low Recoil/Low Report or Noise. They are so gentle and I seem to hit just about as well as I usually hit with the higher velocity loads. I had 8 -13 year old kids shooting my 870 and Stevens double with ease(both 12's) on my last skeet outing. Those loads and a good slip on recoil pad should make shooting a single plenty tolerable....may be the easiest fix of all. I will try some in my singles the next time I go out and let you know how they feel. Need to give the old Win. 37 as workout. The only drawback is that they burn a little dirtier, so take a few higher velocity AA loads to clean stuff out a bit before going home.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

madman4570 wrote:Friend, trust me-----------------------You want a Remington 1100 LT-20
Wife/Daughter have the skeet version and that thing kicks about like a AR-15
What a nice gun! myself, I would not go smaller than that in a 20gauge :?:
With that LT-20 you can shoot 100rds and not even notice it!
There' might be cheaper guns but, every time you pull the trigger on it you will think"yep its worth it" :wink:

In fact I really wish you could try both the 12ga and 20ga in the Remington 1100
http://internationalguns.com/images/Gun ... _gun_l.jpg
My bet is, even with the 12ga Rem 1100 you would say" this is nothing,I can handle this easy"
Look at this below---------
http://www.ktpguns.com/interior.php/pid/28/gid/151953
Kittery usually comes down at least $25 on a gun priced at that range.
Where else can you find anywhere a 95% Rem 1100 for $275 :)
See why I cant stop buying somthing from them? And what I like about them is they grade their guns "very conservatively" so basically a 95% one is about like "new"
I have to agree with madman 4570. Can't beat the Remington 1100's and their LT-20 is a peach. You won't be disappointed in one. My wife put away her 1100 20, bought the same in 12 gauge and had a recoil pad installed and is a very competitive sporting clay shooter with it. 50, sometimes 100, clays with every trip to the range. She loves hers!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

El CHIVO ,
As near as I can understand your question I believe that you will NOT be disappointed in a NEF 28 ga.
I have one that I bought a few years ago put a slipon pad and it is my favorite shotgun unless goose hunting.
Everything else I shoot w/ said 28 , It fits , no recoil and I find my percentages when shooting it are way better than any other gun I have. I presently own 3 28 ga's . I have a 2000 buck Berreta that shoots just as well and I really like it for geese but I sure don't get the %'s
I've owned many Perazzi's and two Ljutis's one of them hand fitted by Al Ljutic and loved them all but now I don't care about fillin the air w/ lead and get the most birds that I can , I want to kill a few and then I enjoy eating them . It's also amazing that if I'm w/ a coupla others I seem to have high bag , if alone I usually knock down 4 or 5 and call it good , clean , put on ice and do something else while I'm out .
I did shoot a coupla different 410's for a few years but they just didn't kill quite well enough so I shot 3" 410's and that was the answer just a little denser pattern at range , but 5/8 or 3/4 shot charge in either 410 or 28 and less deformation of shot w/ the larger bore of the 28 and that's where I 've settled and very content.
Best of luck in you search . What has worked for me may not be your answer but I'm just telling you that it WILL do the job if thats what you choose.
atb
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Some low recoil loads will be your best and cheapest choice. However, be aware that some guns are terrible kickers with the same loads that in another gun will shoot, and be very confortable.

Regarding the 28ga, I had a 28ga double that was the sweetest shooting shotgun I believe I ever owned, and deadly out to about 30yds.
NRA Life Member, Patron