Gunsmithing... ish...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Gunsmithing... ish...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I keep getting asked to do minor fixes on a variety of guns.

I'm no 'smith - I certainly dont have the proper tools - but I can usually get away with this because most of the guys simply don't know how/where to order parts or how to Google the parts-swap instructions.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should hang out a shingle... I'm thinking:

Bubba'd Guns
Stupid is - not fixing what Stupid did... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gunsmithing... ish...

Post by jdad »

I have the tools and I have them do the work, while I talk them through it. They can learn the same way I did.....by just doing it under supervision.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The only thing to be REALLY caeful about, is to NEVER, EVER keep someone else's gun overnite for while it's being repaired - UNLESS the owner's sleeping over with his gun.

Y'see, to do so can be construed as "receiving a firearm without an FFL", and put you in the deep do-do.

Please, believe me when I tell you, that it can (and has) happen(ed).

bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968
TITLE 18, UNITED STATE CODE, CHAPTER 44

(21) The term "engaged in the business"
means—

(D) as applied to a dealer in firearms,
as defined in section 921(a)(11)(B), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

bcp wrote:THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968
TITLE 18, UNITED STATE CODE, CHAPTER 44

(21) The term "engaged in the business"
means—

(D) as applied to a dealer in firearms,
as defined in section 921(a)(11)(B), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;
yep (D) is me... especially as I do not make a profit from it. :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote:Bubba'd Guns
Stupid is - not fixing what Stupid did... :wink:
Yep, that'd be one slogan... but, it might not endear you to your customers! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

If you are patching a friend's gun (both of you being residents of the same state) as a favor and it sleeps at your house for a year, there is no transfer problem.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that's how I got into vintage reel repairs and made it me enough to build a solid vintage tackle collection and a few firearms.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Long gun in state, MOST STATES require nothing to transfer, so if you and yer buddy wanna share guns, store em at each others houses, fix em, no big deal.

HANDGUNS kept overnight or even "possessed" outside of the presence and "control" of the owner can get ya in a jackpot even if yer buddy lives next door in many states.

ALL firearms made after 1898 that move across state lines require a legal transfer, FFL bound book to hold em, etc.

I checked into this recently because I got several requests to do "Widdermatic" mods to marlins. I do not have an FFL. The only way it could even be remotely construed as legal (aside from me going to their house and doing the mods on their kitchen table in their presence, even in the next state), for a gun crossing state lines would be with an FFL to work with me. If I set up a workbench in the back of his shop, he received the guns and booked em in, the gun stayed in his shop (though I could take anything but the receiver home, say the carrier, bolt, etc) until shipped back to the owner, I could work as a "contract employee" of the shop, etc. Even then he would have to assume liability for the work, etc, so insurance might be an issue.

Federal housing and cold spaghetti-Os with a plastic spoon is NOT worth it.
Certified gun nut