Browning A-Bolt--no good?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Browning A-Bolt--no good?

Post by getitdone1 »

Recently some of us were saying we could get by real well with only Browning guns. Rifles, handguns and shotguns.

From what I hear there's lots of people who can't stand the Browning A-Bolt guns. I have two of them and wonder what's so bad about them?

Anyone?

Don McCullough
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning A-Bolt--no good?

Post by TedH »

I've never owned one, but wouldn't be opposed to it. I was shooting at the range the other day next to a guy with an A bolt in 222. He was shooting some very small groups. Nice looking rifle too.
NRA Life Member
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THERE IS NOT A GUN EVER MADE I CANNOT FIND FOLKS TO SAY THEY CAN'T STAND THE SIGHT OF IT.
ME...I ALWAYS FIGGER AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED , "WHO GIVES AN FRA WHAT THEY THINK ANYWAYS ???"
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Terry Murbach wrote:THERE IS NOT A GUN EVER MADE I CANNOT FIND FOLKS TO SAY THEY CAN'T STAND THE SIGHT OF IT.
ME...I ALWAYS FIGGER AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED , "WHO GIVES AN FRA WHAT THEY THINK ANYWAYS ???"
Terry, totally agree. My concern is if the A-bolt has serious flaws, and someone can prove it--plenty of other guns I'm ready to buy to take their place. So it's facts rather than opinion I'm after.

Don
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Certainly a good looking rifle. A guy I know use to have one in 22-250 years ago now.
I was not to impressed with the trigger and the mag but apart from that,,,,,

The trigger was most probably capable allthough,,,,,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I was under the impression that the A-bolt at one time was considered to be the most accurate out of the box rifle made.

I was hunting with a friend who had one in 300 magnum with the boss system. I spotted a deer that was outside of my comfort zone, so he took the shot. I was spotting for him. The first shot was low and the second shot hit the deer in the neck, which is where he was aiming. We knew it was a long shot, and estimated it to be 525-550 yards. When we looked at the aerial photo, we measured it at 650 yards. I have to say that this guy is somewhat of a shootist, and regularly takes deer and elk at distances at which I won't take the shot due to my self imposed limitations. I watched him shoot sub-moa groups at 200 yards over the front of a pickup truck. I don't think he sees anything wrong with his A-bolt!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Don, I believe the gripe people had with the abolt was that the bolt was a nightmare to tear down and put back together again such as in a thorough cleaning or in R&R a part in the bolt. danny
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I have a 1989 Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 338 Win Mag.I have absolutey no problem with it. Not only is it a beautiful rifle,it is MOA accurate. Nice rifle !!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I had one in 270 win. I put a williams peep sight on it and it would consistantly hit clay pidgeons at 200 yards if i did my part. It was a treat to carry and shoot. It got to be boring so I sold it not that long ago. I bought it used to have a long range rifle, of course I shot my largest deer with it at around 25 yards. Nothing bad to say about them.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

When my dad didn't want to carry his German-made Weatherby Mk V .300 Wby Mag (which he bought new at the PX in Germany while stationed there in the early 1960's) he detailed me with finding its replacement. He wanted a stainless .30-06 with a short bolt throw, light weight, synthetic stock, detachable magazine. I did some research and picked Browning's Stainless Stalker. Reliable, accurate, and affordable.
My brother liked it so much he bought two, one for himself and another for his boy.
It's generally a tossup on who outshoots whom at the range, although they are competing with me and my Weatherby Ultralightweight in .30-06!

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

My reason for asking about the A-Bolt is I recall some time ago a member in this group said he had some bad luck with his A-Bolt in Africa. Thus, he wanted no more to do with them. Forget the details. Hope he'll respond to this post.

I have a 243 and 375 H&H. Like'em both. 375 now has a Limbsaver pad but have not shot it since it was installed. It has a long 26" bbl but pretty light for this chambering. I found the 243 to be plenty accurate. Have a 6x24 scope with small dot reticule on it. It's stainless. My first stainless gun of any kind.

Ready to load some 300 gr solids for the 375. Penetration tests will follow. Shooting this gun from the hip made for a handful! They say healthy people love a challenge.

Don McCullough
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My ex-Father in law had an A-Bolt in 30-06.

I don't think I've ever seen a
more accurate rifle out of the box.
A real tack driver!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

My attraction to the Browning A-Bolt is the fact that I wanted a stainless steel bolt action that featured a synthetic stock and was available in a LEFT-HANDED version. Several manufacturers offer this, but the short 70 degree bolt throw and detachable magazine of the Browning A-Bolt sold me.

My first one was a .300 Winchester Magnum purchased as a used gun. I chose the .300 because I held the hope of some day going elk hunting. The elk hunting never panned out for me, but I did use the .300 for six Blacktail bucks and one Pronghorn antelope. It proved a bit much for such small-sized game animals.

I sold the .300 and bought the same rifle in a brand new .270 version. It is without a doubt the most accurate new, out-of-the-box rifle I ever owned. It is a real keeper in my opinion.

Browning A-Bolt no good? :lol:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

My experience with a LH Browning A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in 30 aught 6 is that it has always put the bullets exactly where I aimed. A few deer and a moose can attest to it's effectiveness.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I've always thought the Browning A-Bolt was a good, solid, rifle. Isn't the A-Bolt the platform used when Browning introduced their BOSS system?
ED
Yer never too old
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

I believe so, but it was also added to the Winchester Model 70 line as well. Think the Winchester line was later, but I'll defer to the Model 70 experts on this one.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

I've owned and operated an A-Bolt in .270 for over 20 yrs. and it has taken over 100 deer. However, the A-Bolt design does have some flaws that I'd be glad to discuss if you'd like me to.
BUT...I'm keeping my A-Bolt!
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

The Remington Model 700 is the most accurate production rifle in the world. I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot MOA or better right out of the box. I think I'd buy a Howa over a Browning. Japan is Japan.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

[quote="Triggernosis"]I've owned and operated an A-Bolt in .270 for over 20 yrs. and it has taken over 100 deer. However, the A-Bolt design does have some flaws that I'd be glad to discuss if you'd like me to.
BUT...I'm keeping my A-Bolt!

Triggernosis,

Be glad to hear about the A-Bolt's flaws. I now have 3 the last a really nice 22 mag rimfire.

Don McCullough
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Swampman wrote:The Remington Model 700 is the most accurate production rifle in the world. I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot MOA or better right out of the box.....
Twenty years ago I would have agreed with you, but the boys from Savage are giving Big Green a run for their money today. And I've seen several dozen 700's that wouldn't shoot 1" out of the box, I've made some pretty decent money over the years rebedding and floating barrels on Remington 700's, got two here at the house right now for that treatment, that wouldn't stay in a 4" circle for 5 shots at 100yds. The most consistantly accurate "out of the box" gun Remington ever made was the 788 and it's been out of production for some time.

The most accurate hunting weight .300WM I've ever owned, or seen for that matter, would put 5 shots thru one ragged hole you could completely cover with a dime at a 100yds. Not just one photo group, dozens of them...witnessed by several people. The rifle was an out of the box Browning A-Bolt with a synthetic stock. A buddy of mine wound up with that rifle during my first divorce. I've offered him a rediculous amount of money for it back and he just smiles and tells me I'm in his will.

The A-Bolt may have some flies on it, but no more than any other production gun. I'd buy another one in a minute.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

The A-Bolt is GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!
I have AB Medallion in 338 Win. It is a very accurate rifle at 1 MOA,It is a beautiful rifle and it is fun to shoot and very versatile. What's not to like about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

I can't say that I have ever spoken to anyone that specifically disliked the A-Bolt other than the fact they didn't have one.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A friend has a 375 H&H that he brought out to try some almost full power cast loads with. He shot a .27" group with it as I measured it and put it away. It is a stainless steel model.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

I have a Varmint Stalker in .223 and a Hunter in .22 Hornet, and both are shoot the lights out one ragged hole grouping guns. Had a couple in hunting calibers that were all MOA or less rifles. Excellent rifles.