OT: What bullets to buy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

OT: What bullets to buy?

Post by MikeS. »

I've got a friend from my gun club that is going to help me start reloading. He told me to buy the bullets for the caliber I want to reload.

I'll be doing 38/357 and 9mm.

He said he has plenty of powder and primer and between us we have brass.

So what would be a good bullet for plinking? I'll buy from Midway most likely.

A SWC I'm thinking for the .357 and a FMJ for the 9mm but I'm fully open to suggestions.

If it matters the 9mm will be out of semi-autos, DUH and the .357 will be from 3 different revolvers and a Rossi 92 levergun.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

What bullet to buy BIG ONES :wink: :D . Really get small amounts of several styles and see what works best in your gun. SWC are good performers for target work and usualy shoot well in most guns.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

I would go with lead for the .38 /357 IF your buddy knows the ins and outs of proper fit of lead. If you want jacketed look at the bulk stuff. For plinking and general shooting I would go with "Cheap" being a main requirement. For hunting etc the XTP is hard to beat. If you read Pacos articles he descibes the performance of lots of bullets. Jay
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For starters, I think you're on the right track for the 9mm. However, as JReed said, for the .357/8 I'd try several different types. My Rossi 92 doesn't like SWCs. I'd recommend a very round nose, a round flat nose or a truncated cone for the lever.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: What bullets to buy?

Post by J Miller »

MikeS. wrote:I've got a friend from my gun club that is going to help me start reloading. He told me to buy the bullets for the caliber I want to reload.

I'll be doing 38/357 and 9mm.

He said he has plenty of powder and primer and between us we have brass.

So what would be a good bullet for plinking? I'll buy from Midway most likely.

A SWC I'm thinking for the .357 and a FMJ for the 9mm but I'm fully open to suggestions.

If it matters the 9mm will be out of semi-autos, DUH and the .357 will be from 3 different revolvers and a Rossi 92 levergun.
For the 9mm, I'd look at Midways least expensive bargain FMC bullets. I have no preference for those.

For the 357, since you prefer SWCs and you said this was plinking ammo, I'd check out the Remington, Magtech, and other bulk factory type bullets. If pressure and velocity is kept to about 38 +P levels you shouldn't have trouble with leading.
But consider this, will the Rossi feed SWCs?
The only thing I will say for positive is I stay away from bevel based bullets. They will work fine in the rifle, but they lead like madd in ALL of my revolvers.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Thanks guys, I ordered 2 different styles in both 125 and 158 grains in .38 special. 1 round nose 124grn 9mm.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

For jacketed i use bulk Rem 125gr Golden sabre they are accurate and you can shoot them to 2000+fps fps. For lead i cast 180FP Saeco's. they perform well from light loads to as fast as you care to load. My Puma even feeds 38 wadcutters nicely.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

For jacketed i use bulk Rem 125gr Golden sabre they are accurate and you can shoot them to 2000+fps fps. For lead i cast 180FP Saeco's. they perform well from light loads to as fast as you care to load. My Puma even feeds 38 wadcutters nicely.