FWIW: reload problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

FWIW: reload problem

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wanted to load some Rem 147JHP for the 9mm in my 357. The bullets would just slide in with little pressure by hand. So figured I would buy 9mm die but didnt want to wait that long. After a long nites sleep and then a long nap afterwards. it hit me to look at 222 Rem dies. noticed that it went from 376 to 358 at shoulder. My 357 cases measeured 369 at case mouth. Kept turning down the 222 die until case mouth measeured 365-366. Worked like charm. You can see where the bullets end by the slight bulge in the 357 case. They feed really nice thru the Puma. Now just need to get to range and try them out to see how they shoot. BTW my load is 10.4grs of HS7 behind the is bullet.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I'm curious about the accuracy you'll see.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I was given several hundred 9mm cast bullets a few years ago. I shot them out of my GP100 with fair accuracy. They shot minute-of-10w30 bottle at about 25 yards
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Not sure why you would want to do that, but hey it's your decision. I wouldn't think you will have a very accurate load with bullets that are .002" undersize. You might be careful loading them a tubular magazine since those bullets have no cannelure for crimping. Make sure they don't get shoved deeper into the case.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

TedH, i shoot these bullets out of my 358Bellm and get 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards. They go about 2500fps and they expand nicely but dont blow up or disinegrate. Plus i just like trying different combos. I ve never crimped bullets for levers and have never had a bullets get pushed back .i left 1 cartridge in the tube during a 50 shot group and the bullet never moved back at all
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

I crimp all my cartridges for levers. And I do get an occaisional set-back when working new loads that require adjusting my dies. After another adjustment or so, no more movement until it's time to leave the barrel.

I've had .38-40, .32 Win Special, and .25-35 set-backs with factory loads. Not good when shooting at big bucks!

Never have had one go back in my hunting loads.

Todd,
A crimp is a good idea--safety's sake.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i like to put a crimp on all my lever bullets and heavy recoil bullets. i have had too many times gone to pull a cartridge out of a chamber to leave the bullet behind. on a couple of rifles the bullets just touch the lands. now on my single shots where i don't have a bullet touching the lands. i will not crimp the bullet and on my bench rifles i will not crimp the bullet.

I have had a .45 colt bullet jump and lock up my revolver.

i don't like annealing my cases so they get several reloads before i finally have to so they will size back down properly.