OT - Interesting ammo box label

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Interesting ammo box label

Post by jdad »

I picked up a bunch of old ammo for the wall shelf today. Take a look at the bottom line, on the Winchester 22Hornet box. Neat suggestive advertising.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd say the .410's are from the early 60's. I'm not sure about the rest.
They look like the shells my uncle gave to me to shoot up for him after he couldn't hunt any more and that's when he bought his.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its all from the fifties to like you said for the .410, very early sixties----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

......For Winchester Models 54 and 70 and Savage Rifles.

When was the last time a manufacturer told what rifle to shoot their ammo in? :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

jdad wrote:......For Winchester Models 54 and 70 and Savage Rifles.

When was the last time a manufacturer told what rifle to shoot their ammo in? :D
It was very common from the beginning, (1870's or so) and sporadic until the early sixties. I have many boxes of old ammo that have the pictures of the guns on the front label, such as 1873 Winchesters, Colt revolvers, 'Smiths, and other top breaks. If I remember tonight, I'll take a few pics.

Gotta remember, back then, very few people had the extra bucks to shoot the way we do today. They bought a box of ammo and sometimes it lasted several or more years, so the ammo makers made the most of their lables. Competition was tough. Today, we have shortages because of all the money out there.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

g5m
Levergunner

Post by g5m »

Looks like the stuff on my shelf that's been waiting to be shot.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:
jdad wrote:......For Winchester Models 54 and 70 and Savage Rifles.

It was very common from the beginning, (1870's or so) and sporadic until the early sixties. I have many boxes of old ammo that have the pictures of the guns on the front label, such as 1873 Winchesters, Colt revolvers, 'Smiths, and other top breaks. If I remember tonight, I'll take a few pics.

Gotta remember, back then, very few people had the extra bucks to shoot the way we do today. They bought a box of ammo and sometimes it lasted several or more years, so the ammo makers made the most of their lables. Competition was tough. Today, we have shortages because of all the money out there.------------Sixgun
I collect and mount old firearm advertising. Some for history reasons, but a lot for the chance to see what the values and mindset of the country was at that time.