Marlin 375 bought at auction

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RobertS
Levergunner

Marlin 375 bought at auction

Post by RobertS »

Last weekend, there was a local country auction, and I fooled around and bought a Marlin 375, in .375 Winchester, and in nice shape, with a few dings to the stock. Ending up paying $330 for it, which it seems now to be a pretty good deal, though I didn't really know at the time I got it. The leaf is missing off the rear sight, and I am wondering instead about mounting a peep on it, probably a Williams FP, but I think a tang sight might be really cool too. It seems that the ammo is pretty expensive, but I probably would reload after locating the components. Anyway, I really like the looks of it, and look forward to playing with it. Any ideas or recommendations on loads, etc.? Thanks in advance!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 375 bought at auction

Post by TedH »

You got a great deal on that Marlin!

I've got a Marlin 375 also, and have had a couple other 375s in the past. They all shot very well with 36.0 gr. of RL7 and the Hornady 220.
NRA Life Member
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

ted has nailed it on the load for the 375 win.I have tried alot of different powders but I always come back to 36.0 grs of RL7 with the 220 gr hornady bullet rem LR primer.I have shot alot of deer with this load and never had a runner.boom/flop :D .

pete
DAV life member.
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

uhhhhhhhhhh.....

They ain't no pitures!!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sounds like a real good deal for that heavy hitter caliber

One of the resident doc's on here (AJMD) gave me some advice on a Marbles Bullseye sight in this thread

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 7&start=20

that fits into the rear sight dovetail and i think i am going to order one up. Might be something to think about. If it works as good as it looks, its a surefire winner. I havent tried a williams, but so many folks on here that are more knowledgable than me swear by 'em too
----- Doug
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

txpete wrote:ted has nailed it on the load for the 375 win.I have tried alot of different powders but I always come back to 36.0 grs of RL7 with the 220 gr hornady bullet rem LR primer.I have shot alot of deer with this load and never had a runner.boom/flop :D .

pete
My usual load has been 37.5 grains of Re-7, but I've been thinking of backing off a bit. So, 36 grains is the sweet spot, eh? What kind of MV does that load give in the real world? The Hornady book says that should be somewhere around 2,100 fps, does that sound right?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

36 gr. runs that Hornady 220 just a hair over 2000 fps from my Marlin.
NRA Life Member
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

screamin' deal !!!

for load: exactly what Ted and RSY said.

for good inexpensive ammo:
www.wisconsincartridge.com (I have lots of this, works great).
www.reedsammo.com (haven't tried it yet).

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. RSY .... my reloader noted about 2,100 fps with 36.0 grains.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

these work real good also :wink: lyman 375449 280 gr my alloy.

DAV life member.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

txpete wrote:these work real good also :wink: lyman 375449 280 gr my alloy.

Now those are some fine looking boolits. I don't think they'll bounce off any game animals in your neck of the woods either.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

This is my Marlin 375, purchased new in 1980:

It's never had any factory ammo thru it. I bought the reloading dies and supplies the same day. I've only shot the Hornady 220FP thru it. I got some 200 and 250 grain factory ammo from a forum member, but haven't fire any of it yet...

I need to either put the rear sight back in or a blank; then find a coupla screws to fill the front sight holes... then maybe get out to the range...

No coyotes this am either... I got one last chance, then it's back to work tomorrow! Off to Alabama... some little place called Eclectic, AL... I might just fit in such a place!!! :P :P :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fisheadgib
Levergunner

Post by fisheadgib »

I've got a model 94 in .375win and I chronographed some loads for it a few months ago. I was using the Hornady 220gr fp interloks in front of RL-7. 34 grains averaged 2070fps, 36 grains got me 2135fps, and 38 grains was 2195fps. 34 grains had the lowest SD at 31fps.