OT: Looking for help buying a metal detector

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Looking for help buying a metal detector

Post by Woodtroll »

Hello friends,

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I'm looking for a decent metal detector for my father for his birthday. He has recently retired, and the farm still keeps him busy, but we're looking for something to promote a little recreation as well. I'd appreciate your thoughts on brand names, desireable features, things to look out for, and the least expensive place to buy. We'd like to get a mid-grade one, I guess, if such can be had for $200-300 or so?

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions. Y'all take care! Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

I used to have a Fisher m-scope Model 1236-X2. It was a fine detector in the price range which you mentioned. Take a look at http://www.kellycodetectors.com .
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It depends on what you are expecting to find.
Some are favorable for finding coins, etc.
some are more geared to finding gold nuggets
A reputable shop should be able to help
irl104
Levergunner

Metal detector

Post by irl104 »

White's have been around for many years. I have one I bought 17 years ago. Works perfect. I'm pleased with my White.

http://hobby.us.whiteselectronics.com/
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Thanks for the prompt responses!

I should have mentioned what it would be used for. My homeplace is a farm that has been in my mother's family since just before the Revolution, and has several old homesites on it. My residence was built by my great-grandfather on another piece of property, and has some old building sites on it, as well. He also needs to find survey corner "pins" (rebar rods), etc. sometimes. Although there is a trace of gold in our creekbeds, I don't see him looking for gold nuggets <G>- mostly just finding lost objects and piddling around the old homesites.

Thanks, guys, I do appreciate it! Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The best place to buy is Kellyco. They have great service and will discuss the features and your Dad's needs and intended uses before letting you buy anything.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

+1 to the White detectors. My dad and I used to find all sorts of loot with his. It was sensitive enough to find silver dimes over a foot down.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

More details:

I got my Dad one for his birthday in Oct. It is a White's Surf Pro PI. It can be used underwater. He often hunts at the beach and likes to take it travelling. He has already found enough stuff in the surf that it would have paid for the detector.

For more casual use in the parks and such he has a White's Classic IV. It has served him well for many years.

Again I highly recommend Kellyco at www.kellycodetectors.com
for whatever you need based on the customer service and pricing.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mine is a Garrett Gold Stinger, and as such as the name implies; you know what I do with it