I should have slept in

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

I should have slept in

Post by TedH »

Got up at at O-dark-30 to be at the range as soon as it was light enough to shoot. Early bird beats the idiots you know, at least at my public range. Anyway, I was going to shoot some more of my cast bullet loads in the Marlin 218 Bee. I set up the chrony and uncased the Marlin. Hmm, I brought the wrong rifle. :oops: Guess that's a sign of having to many guns. All I had that I could shoot was my carry piece and two mags. I burned those up so the morning wouldn't be a total loss.
NRA Life Member
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: I should have slept in

Post by Marc »

I went to a silhouette match a couple years ago with a 7mm-08 rifle and a box of 35 Whelen ammo. That didn't work to well! It sure learned me though. I am going to a match today and after I had everything packed I remembered to check the ammo box. Had it right this time.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I've had more and more of those days. At least you got to burn some powder! :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

Don't fell bad I went out one morning this week, perfect day overcast not a trace of wind set up and yep left the ammo box at home!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Welcome to the club. :D Lets see here, where do we start.........Go to gunclub, spend $20 on gas, coffee, sandwich.... (26 miles) with 4 rifles, one single action----no ammo.............Drive 40 miles to deer hunt....one 1886 Winchester...no ammo...............Drive 75 miles to a very special cowboy match with Colt Lightning in 32-20......bring 38-40 ammo for other Lightning thats still at home...........that enough, I'm sick of the reminders.----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...and it's not exactly like you can just run down to the corner bait shop and pick up some .218 Bee ammo to shoot, either. :(

I've done the same thing, though, but thank God I've been able to situate myself in the country where we have 100 yards with a backstop, so if I get 'to the range' and forgot something, I just have to walk a few hundred yards. (Of course I complain and whine anyway, and try to talk one of my kids into getting what poor old senile Daddy forgot... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Wish I could draw or post a cartoon I seen many years ago. Showed this deer hunter pulling out a rifle out of his rifle case, it had a cork hanging out of the barrel, he has a perplexted look on his face and telling his buddy, "But junior took this to the church picnic today!"
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

My favorite trick is going to the range to sight in something and I forget the tool box or the bags. :?

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

this is why I keep my ammo, seperated in ammo cans that are labeled. I would do that or forget the ammo completely. sorry for the hassel. perhaps next time will be better
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Mike I had the ammo I wanted to shoot, but I took the wrong dang rifle! Perhaps I need to label my guns? :lol:

In my defense, the rifle I took is very similar in appearance to the Bee. :wink:
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

:o :shock: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

This post reminds me of the old Far Side cartoon, where the guy has a sign by his bed for when he wakes up. It reads "FIRST PANTS, THEN SHOES." :o

I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad. We've all done this kind of thing once.... DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

Yeah, been there done that. A number of my rifles are stainless/synthetic. Have Winchester M70 in .375HH, Sako 75 in 7mm STW, TC Omega in 45, and Browning A-Bolt in .25-06. All have Leupold vx-3 scopes. Went to go make some noise with the 7mm STW and get to the range to find my .25-06 in the case. No matter how hard I tried I could NOT get those 7mm STW rounds to chamber for some reason. Am thinkin I might need to paint the stocks different colors or something. Its way too easy to grab the wrong rifle. Of course when they all look the same the better half loses track of how many there are.... :twisted:
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Got up yesterday and packed up four old levers for a stint at the range.

Drove down and found a heap of guys yelling "Pull" and little orange disks flying through the air.

Apparently on the first Saturday after the first full moon after the winter equinox in the Southern Hemisphere the skeet club has exclusive use of the Malabar range :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pop
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

If everybody reading this forum had a dollar for every time that
happened to one of us, we could probably buy a hunting camp
in Africa or something! :lol:

For sure I'm not alone......

-Stretch
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

stretch wrote:If everybody reading this forum had a dollar for every time that
happened to one of us, we could probably buy a hunting camp
in Africa or something! :lol:

For sure I'm not alone......

-Stretch
I'm embarressed to say I probably lead the group. :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I went to a handgun silhouette match one day with a friend who used a Remington XP100 chambered for the 308 Win. In his hands that pistol was a 40X40 gun and he was quite proud of it. While we were signing up he uncased his XP and discovered that he forgot the bolt which was home - 100 miles south of the match.

I can plead guilty of taking 3 rifles to the range but ammo for two. At least you had a gun to clean when you got home Ted so you could get your Hoppe's fix.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Been there... I have 3 guns that stay in those hard plastic cases... I really need to mark them.

Showed up at a quail feild one day... with the 11 87 instead of the much lighter 870 I have with a 21 inch barrel and English style stock. 12 bore is 12 bore... changed the choke tubes and got a work out!
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

I showed up on an invited deer hunt once.... all customers of a vendor.... without the bolt for my rifle. I didn't hear the end of that for a long time. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I ain't ever done that... well... not recently anyway!! :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Honestly, my brain is a sieve. Remembering something from one room to the other is like trying to carry water in that sieve. I've left for activities and the record so far is coming back four times for stuff. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I went to the range a while back with my 10/22 and a newly mounted scope I was planning to use on p-dawgs while my .223 Howa cooled off.

Forgot the magazine.

All 4 of them. :oops:

Have you ever tried to shoot a 10/22, loading one shell at a time into the chamber? (it was a long way back to the house)

I finally got it done but i uttered a few worty dirds.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

Loaded up for a 35 mile drive to the range - try to staple target to backer - NO STAPLES! - had to use small sharpened sticks to attach target to cardboard backer - Glad I didn't forget my knife.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

So you shot up all your carry ammo and went home empty? Guess when the s#!t will happen? I learned a long time ago to NEVER get caught with an empty gun. But I did drive 100 miles to a M/L shoot with 54 caliber balls for my .40 target rifle.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

KCSO wrote:So you shot up all your carry ammo and went home empty? Guess when the s#!t will happen?
Yeah, I know. That's the first time I've ever done that, and hopefully the last.

It's good to hear all these other stories too. At least I'm in good company. :wink:
NRA Life Member