What are your favorite"hunting knives" & where to buy them?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

What are your favorite"hunting knives" & where to buy them?

Post by Goat »

I am just a working man like most of you but have a few decent guns. I own no expensive knives and don't even know if I should. I have been packing CaseXX pocket knives for about 15 years and like them. I have a neat little Browning folder and am partial to my Remington "Big Game" lockback. I do have a Marble's Miniwoodcraft fixed blade but am not really fond of it. I am fairly happy with the steel in both the Browning and the Remington but like the Case a little better. They hold a reasonable edge and are fairly easy for me to sharpen. I am thinking that I would like another fixed blade hunting knife with a blade absolutely no longer than 4" since it will likely be used on nothing larger than deer. Truthfully I don't need one since probably around half of the deer have been taken care of with one of the good ole Case knives. I have had enough experience to know that I like the "drop point" shape of blade best. I will not spend more than $100 for this new puchase but would like some ideas. I would also like to know what are some good places (websites) to look at and purchase this "deer hunting knife." Thanks.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What are your favorite"hunting knives" & where to buy them?

Post by Bigahh »

All I ever carry are "Case" brand knives. I have all sizes of the fixed blades, and my favorite is the 3 1/2" blade with the handle wrapped in Leather. I have the bigger ones also, but I love the smaller one. They run just under 50 Bucks. You can Google "Case Knives" , and find them easily, and also the best price.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

my favorite is anza knives anzaknives.com, great knives.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I generally carry a genuine German PUMA lock back in the field, along with a few Gerber specalty knives for dressing etc... but the Puma will always get the job done if the others aren't available.

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I usually carry a Randall #15 or #1 when out hunting. The #15 has 3 tours to Irag and 2 to Afghanistan. Are they cheap?? No. But I don't collect them either. I use mine often. On that note, my dad gave me an older Gerber fixed blade that he bought on his way back from Vietnam. That knife has cleaned thousands of ducks, plenty of rabbits and alot of deer. He used that knife for 35 years before giving it to me. Thats one of my favorites. I also cleaned and skinned a caribou with a 2 1/2 in folder case knife that belonged to a great uncle. I like that one too.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I have been packing CaseXX pocket knives for about 15 years and like them. I have a neat little Browning folder and am partial to my Remington "Big Game" lockback.]

Here's where I usually say: "R U crazy ?", and "15 years ! ! Dance with who brung ya !"

That said, knife buying/ownership can be as addictive as guns - but generally less expensive - and has been a good stand-in for me during lean times over the years.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Mundial 4" paring knives. ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQ ... s_prod_img )

A set of three will dress, skin, debone and butcher two big bodied whitetails. Quality from Brazil. Learned about these from the guy who does the butchering for 86er at one of the Texas ranches. I also carry an old Puma drop point fixed blade and my Benchmade Mini Griptilian with Axis lock.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

willygene wrote:my favorite is anza knives anzaknives.com, great knives.
+1 I have an Anza knife and really like it.
Ricky

DWWC
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i have a copy of this knife, made by herters [it's perfect you know].
had it since the mid seventies, still good to go. really a nice design.
DHR-1S.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I might get slammed for this, but i really like a gut hook, makes field dressing much quicker for me ---- yes, i know they are not totally necessary, but i still think its worth trying one out to see if its a feature a guy likes or not. Buck and Gerber both make these .

I carry several custom blades for general purpose field use, depending on my mood --and i think a guy should treat himself just once in a lifetime to a blade from Randall, Jimmy Lile, AG Russell, Treeborn, there are many others (or my personal fave, Enedino De Leon from Lubbock TX, which is Randall quality for a hundred bucks less----- ) ----- but i have to admit, they are good luck charms for me, more or less ---- and my unasumming Buck 110 Folding Hunter (35$ from Wal Mart, Bass Pro, etc.) does most everything i truly need.
----- Doug
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Pokey, I had one of those.. Herter's called it their Canadian Belt Knife... cost all of $2.39.. was a Great little knife.. filleted many fish and worked over a lot of whitetail deer with it.. lost it shortly after my wife and I were married.. Herter's was just out of business then, never got another,, Now Cold Steel is selling a reasonable copy of it made in China or somewhere for around $13 I picked up a couple of 'em just cause they're so handy.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I kind of went knife crazy the last few years.....don't even know how many I have. Honestly, I could dress out a deer with the Leatherman, if I forgot a real knife.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Randall knives are the finest I know of and mine is my favorite but I'll put in a solid vote for any Cold Steel product and any Al Mar knife. The Randall #5 or #8 would fit the bill for you perfectly but it's out of your price range, however, there once was a company called BlackJack that made Randall knife copies and some of them were actually quite good with cryo treated steel. Here is one that is on sale on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACKJACK-Classic-B ... 2132wt_911

eBay is also awash with Damascus steel hand made knives, mostly from Pakistan and Turkey, that can really be quite a bargain. Some come with really nice sheathes and while Damascus steel is prone to rust, it also cleans up well as long as you don't ignore it and let it pit and it holds a very hungry edge. For example (many from this seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/DKONLYs-STUNNING-QU ... 167wt_1027

Good luck!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Leatherman is made from quality steel! I love those dang things. Wish I could still carry one at work.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Goat, I use Mora knives they use swedish sandvik carbon or SS steel in their blades and utilize the scandi grind it is easy to sharpen them hold the bevel on the stone and pull thru you dont need gadgets to sharpen them or worry if you are getting the same angle on each side. I use the #860 SS clipper series they are 12 to 15$ I usually buy 4 or5 at a time and they only weight 4ozs so I carry 2 in my day pack along with a gerber hatchet , I use them for skinning and butchering beef and game and if you loose one you dont feel bad about 10$. On the first link is a treatise on sharpening scandi grind I use a fine and med diamond stone. danny

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... rand=47&A=
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Check out Tomar's K-Bars for both military K-Bars and the K-Bar line of hunting knives. Inexpensive, leather handles, and quite sharp. Good service and people there.

There are lots of knives out there, but most are overkill for me. I don't want to spend $100 on a knife, I might lose it, and I don't want to be afraid to use it. Even the Buck knives are getting to be $80 or so.

I did order the classic Buck folding knife during my first deer season, in a fit of optimism. As luck would have it, I used it that very week on a real buck, the only time that knife has been used.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

For production knives I am happy with Case. There are many better knives available, but no better company for me to support. I like to buy from http://wessonacehardware.com/Store/
I also attend knifemaker guild shows and other events where handmade custom knives can be seen. I usually wander around those shows meeting knife makers. I have bought some great knives at very reasonable prices.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:Leatherman is made from quality steel! I love those dang things. Wish I could still carry one at work.
:shock: Where do you work that you can't even carry a Leatherman...? :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

puma hunter
schrade folding
and favorite Cutco sporting knife
http://www.cutco.com/products/product.j ... Group=1769
this is the shapest knife i have ever owned.....
we also have and entire kitchen set.....expensive
but ....believe me thay are worth it.....
nothing like a sharp knife
and its made in the USA....
it made short work on a 300 pound boar i shot last year
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

RIHMFIRE wrote:puma hunter
schrade folding
Cutco is high class stuff, fer sure. About four years ago, I got the 9" Chef's and the paring knives...Liked them well enough I ordered a hunting knife last year. The blade could be heavier, but it's razor sharp and stays that way a long time...it's a keeper and will go out with me the next time. The 4" Cold Steel folder is with me whenever my pants are on. Great steel and a quick one handed open. With the right mindset, prolly better than a gun inside of ten feet or so.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
348WCF
Levergunner

Post by 348WCF »

My absolute favorite knives are made by Spring Creek Knife Works in Nebraska. He makes four different sizes , all the same design. They are very comfortable in the hand and I now carry one as my every day knife. I think the web site is www.sc-kw.com.
Best regards,
Jim
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I have been collecting knives for almost 30 years. My house has so much steel in it that it throws off local compasses.

It is hard to beat Case. Made in the USA. Excellent quality. Reasonable pricing. Here is one you may want to check out. It is their BH24-3 1/4 Deer Hunter. It has a 3 1/4" drop point blade, and this one has a genuine Buffalo Horn handle. (The BH stands for Buffalo Horn, there are other handle options.) I like it a lot. Very protective sheath that will keep it at YOUR side instead of dropping by the side of some pretty rough trail. It is a fixed blade.

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

By the way, The Deer Hunter pictured above is available for well under $100. Expect to pay about $85.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My carry knife, simply the best in my opinion. Many Canadian Trappers and bushmen have carried a version for a long time.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/

These guys will sell you a Whale Flensing knife or a Snow Knife for Igloo building. That's the finest tradition of the Canadian bushcraft.

I still have my Jumpers knife from the days in the Forces and bought a new one for carry. Fits my hand perfectly and I can skin a moose or fight with it with some skill.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3s.html

I encourage our American friends to support a fine Canadian company if you want something with true north woodsman heritage.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I am extremely fond of the Schrade Sharpfinger knife as a deer knife. They are made in China now but you can easily find a made in USA one on Ebay or somewhere. They are small and light and are just right for deer. A Sharpfinger is good for small game too but not fish really. They are not a "heavy duty" knife for rough jobs but if you keep it dedicated as a meat knife they are good. They will stay sharp for one deer no problem. They sharpen easily.

For sharpening I like the Gerber Sportsman Steel. They don't make them any more but they are around. There are many good knives out there. The best hunter/fisherman I know uses a yellow handled Case XX sodbuster for everything but big fish.

Here is a pic of mine. It doesn't look quite as new anymore. It doesn't stain bad. It seems kind of semi-stainless.

Last edited by Dave on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Snowman366
Levergunner

Post by Snowman366 »

Another vote for the Sharpfinger. I have two and have used them for nearly 30 years. They do the job easily and without fanfare.

I've also used a Finnish puukko on occasion. Great utility knife that makes the jump from skinning game to fileting fish pretty successfully. The only stainless knife I've used that has great ergonomics for me has been a Benchmade "Rant" model with a 4-inch blade. Blade is made of the S30V steel and really holds an unbelieveably good edge.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote: :shock: Where do you work that you can't even carry a Leatherman...? :shock:
My office is the pointy end of a big aluminum tube. The feds, with their typical laser like focus on common sense and efficiency, have decreed that it's OK for me to go to work with a govt. issued H&K pistol but I cannot carry a Leatherman multi-tool or any kind of a pocket knife. Might hurt someone I guess... :roll:

Regards,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

olyinaz wrote:
AJMD429 wrote: :shock: Where do you work that you can't even carry a Leatherman...? :shock:
My office is the pointy end of a big aluminum tube. The feds, with their typical laser like focus on common sense and efficiency, have decreed that it's OK for me to go to work with a govt. issued H&K pistol but I cannot carry a Leatherman multi-tool or any kind of a pocket knife. Might hurt someone I guess... :roll:

Regards,
Oly
Yep, government, that makes a whole lot of sense. :shock:
Old Law Dawg
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

If you're looking for a good buy in a quality knife, you would be hard-pressed to beat Bark River K&T, made in the US.
They use A-2 tool steel for all their blades, and they ask that you return the knives to them for sharpening.
Beautiful, workhorse knives, a step above production quality and a step below handmade price.
here is a good ebay seller

http://stores.ebay.com/Rushs-Knives-and ... ec0Q2em322

I bought several Bark River prototypes from DLT Trading Company, whose just about next door to the Bark River factory, but they're now operating as Oregon Knife shop and don't seem to carry Bark River any more. soK, jrush on ebay has very good prices.

here's the company website
http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/series.asp?ksid=1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Another'n for the "Sharpfinger" for general all around use; superb for birds and small-game. But my favorites for hunting big game are a pair of Brownings. Both are 3-¾" Hunters, a clip point and a drop point.

For a pocket-knife I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion design. Their service is on a par w/Dillon, RCBS and others. But for serious work, I carry a Blackjack copy of a Randall #7. Carbon blade holds a great edge and it looks good! (To me at least).

There're several good web-based sites to buy thru, E-Bay will sprout deals on otherwise out of poduction pieces, but you have to careful who the sellar is. Wal-Mart can be a great source for production knives, but... if the maker has it made in China, that'll be what you get there. Their Bucks are a good example of that, be sure to check the blade.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

BlaineG wrote:
With the right mindset, prolly better than a gun inside of ten feet or so.
a man after my own heart,,, with a razor. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My favorite animal hunting knife is a Dozier I got in a trade with another agent I was working with that wanted my Benchmade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Paladin wrote:My favorite animal hunting knife is a Dozier I got in a trade with another agent I was working with that wanted my Benchmade.
I hope he got a carbon-fiber-handle Benchmade in trade for that beautiful knife.
348WCF wrote:My absolute favorite knives are made by Spring Creek Knife Works in Nebraska. He makes four different sizes , all the same design. They are very comfortable in the hand and I now carry one as my every day knife. I think the web site is http://www.sc-kw.com.
Best regards,
Jim
Jim, after looking at Josh's knives today, and especially his prices, I ordered one.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

RIHMFIRE wrote:puma hunter
schrade folding
I'll vouch for the Cutco. Good knife, and sharp...

I got the drop point hunter in black with the DD edge http://www.cutco.com/products/product.j ... Group=5718, and the kitchen set too. :oops:

Other than that one, I get most of my knives from Cold Steel.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
348WCF
Levergunner

Post by 348WCF »

bulldog1935,
If you don't mind me asking; what size did you get? I am thinking about having him build me a matched set of all four sizes, but I can't make up my mind on the handle material.
I think you will be very happy with your new knife. Josh's work is very good and the design is aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing.
Best regards,
Jim
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have a 5" WESTERN fixed blade that I have had for almost 25 years now. It has been my SOLE knife for skinning since my dad sent it to me while I was stationed in Egypt back in 1986. It has also deployed to with me to Iraq twice and to Bosnia and its SHARPER than the day he bought it!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Here you get some very good knives:

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

348WCF wrote:bulldog1935,
If you don't mind me asking; what size did you get? I am thinking about having him build me a matched set of all four sizes, but I can't make up my mind on the handle material.
I think you will be very happy with your new knife. Josh's work is very good and the design is aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing.
Best regards,
Jim
Hi Jim,
I went with a No. 4 because that is the size knife I use most often and collect. bird/trout size, but I use mine more often for cutting branches to save a fishing fly or trimming a cigar cap.
2" to 2-1/2" blade is really a super handy size knife.
I think a really nice pair would be a No. 4 and No. 8.
If you buy a No. 6, it would be hard to justify buying a second knife - ha .

I went for the Russian olive burl: I collect wooden handle knives.
Linen micarta grinds into a beautiful sculptured handle - the synthetic grain contours look great and the material is just about indestructible.
I also ordered one of his kiridashis - they look like a very handy little tanto.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Dave wrote:I am extremely fond of the Schrade Sharpfinger knife as a deer knife. They are made in China now but you can easily find a made in USA one on Ebay or somewhere. They are small and light and are just right for deer. A Sharpfinger is good for small game too but not fish really. They are not a "heavy duty" knife for rough jobs but if you keep it dedicated as a meat knife they are good. They will stay sharp for one deer no problem. They sharpen easily.

For sharpening I like the Gerber Sportsman Steel. They don't make them any more but they are around. There are many good knives out there. The best hunter/fisherman I know uses a yellow handled Case XX sodbuster for everything but big fish.

Here is a pic of mine. It doesn't look quite as new anymore. It doesn't stain bad. It seems kind of semi-stainless.

Best value in a blade. I've packed mine for many decades. It truly is a sharp finger when reaching in a carcass. I carry my Russel style on my belt but always got a Schrade in my pack.