OT - Single action revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Single action revolver

Post by big bear »

I only have one revolver now (S&W 357Mag, Model 27,5"barrel) Used to have lots but gun legislation really dampened my enthusiasm. nyway was getting a dull itch to get a new pistol. Was thinking of a Ruger Single action in 44mag. Any recommendations, thoughts or directions where I could do some research on this area. I have shot IPSC in past and have 45's and 9mms, but wanted something "old".I reload for 44mag and loved the 4"Model 29 I had, but with new laws that barrel length became prohibited so, alas, adios.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I'm pretty sure Ruger's got something you can use. Wouldn't trust my hunting loads in much anything else (that I could afford anyway) And alot of folks here and especially on one of the Ruger forums can attest to performance from them.

Just gotta' ask specifics.

homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

You'll get opinions to the contrary, but my feeling is go Super Blackhawk. Elmer Keith felt it was the best SA design he'd ever fired. I did a little work on mine, because I was never enamoured of the grip. The all steel design, along with the unfluted cylinder make for a hefty, recoil damping revolver that's a lot of fun to load for and shoot.
Here's a link to the "improvements" I made to mine.
http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/vie ... 23&start=0
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I have had many, many Ruger SBH's in .44 mag. I have had short barrels, 5 in, and long barrels, 10 and 1/2 inches, but my favorite still remains the original 7 and 1/2. Good sight radius, easy enough to pack, and always shoots just fine. That's what I would recommend!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Big Bear, I don't know if you want to go this route or not, but there are a variety of S&W's in 44 Russian that were made before 1898 that qualify as antiques here in Canada. They do not need to be registered and you do not even need a PAL to buy or own one. They can be carried and shot anywhere a non-restricted firearm can be shot. Of course, discretion must be used ... we don't want hysteria in Toronto. The 44 Russian has about the same punch as the 45 ACP or the 40 S&W. The downside is the expense.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I have my Dad's old Ruger SBH and can attest to it being just about the perfect 44 Magnum for field use. I am not sure of all legal restrictions you have but if it is an option you can't go wrong with the Ruger .44.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Should have added that the 50th anniversary Ruger .357 that I have feels great in the hand and shoots extremely well too. You might try the .44 version.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

For me, the 5 1/2" 44 mag, with rounded trigger guard and fluted cylinder was the ticket. Nice balance, no trigger guard "bite" on my fingers, and it shot very well. Should have kept that one!

take care,

Tom
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

KirkD wrote:Big Bear, I don't know if you want to go this route or not, but there are a variety of S&W's in 44 Russian that were made before 1898 that qualify as antiques here in Canada. They do not need to be registered and you do not even need a PAL to buy or own one. They can be carried and shot anywhere a non-restricted firearm can be shot. Of course, discretion must be used ... we don't want hysteria in Toronto. The 44 Russian has about the same punch as the 45 ACP or the 40 S&W. The downside is the expense.
I'd love one...never seen one for sale though :( Let me know if you run across a spare one.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I'll second the Super Blackhawk also. I cut my shooting teeth on one though, so I am a bit biased. :oops: The Flat Top on the right is just the finest piece that I've handled/shot period. This one is from 1961.
Last edited by C. Cash on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Big BearThey are there if you know where to look. I'll keep you posted.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I heard a titilating rumor, to the effect that Ruger's going to introduce a .44 Special BlackHawk at S.H.O.T. on the smaller 50th Anniversary .357 frame.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'll third (or whatever we're up to) the OLD MODEL Ruger Super Blackhawk. You can't go wrong with it!
8)
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Just speaking for me obviously, but don't care for the squared off trigger guard of the Super. I'd second a regular Blackhawk or, if wanting the smoother "cowboy" look and feel...the all-steel OM Vaquero...now out of production, but you can still find some very nice examples, some still NIB, but not growing on trees any longer. These use the same Blackhawk grip frames and came in the standard "Colt" lengths of 4-3/4 (actually 4-5/8 in Ruger I think), 5-1/2 and 7-1/2. The 4+ incher is a tad short for a .44 in my book; my two are the best compromise - for me -- 5.5s and I love them. For Blackhawks, something about the ubiquitous -- and unique to Blackhawks -- 6.5" length that just says "Blackhawk"--a nice balanced hunter/shooter compromise-combo. The OM Vaquero is basically a smoothed-lines Blackhawk anyway in terms of frame. Some BH purists may argue there's a hair less metal in the OM Vaquero and hence less strength in that smoothing, but if so we're talking minute/extremely fine points. After 10+ years and lots of rounds ranging from mild to wild, mine can take any load that the BH's can that I know of. I like the smoothness of the OM Vaquero lines/feel/handling, and since I don't "serious" target shoot a lot, the fixed sight is not an issue. Mine's a multi-purpose plinking/trail/camp/wannabe cowboy gun.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

KirkD wrote:Big BearThey are there if you know where to look. I'll keep you posted.
Thank you,THANK-YOU!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete44ru wrote:I heard a titilating rumor, to the effect that Ruger's going to introduce a .44 Special BlackHawk at S.H.O.T. on the smaller 50th Anniversary .357 frame.
If they do I am in the market for one.

As for the Ruger Super Blackhawks and their variations. I cannot shoot one with the squared off trigger guard. They tear the knuckles of my shooting hand to bruised, bloody, swollen, painful digits. Nuther words I won't touch one.

Now, the SBH is like all other Ruger single actions in that the grip frames are mostly interchangeable. You can put the SBH grip frame on a BH, and visa versa. You can put the steel Vaquero frame on a SBH and even buy after market frames of different designs, made from brass, steel, and stainless steel for them.

If you want a Ruger 44 Mag, I'd say from the perspective of the laws you have to work with go with the 7.5" barrel and then fit whatever grip frame feels best to you on it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***