OT- Replacing Vaquero front sight blade

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Replacing Vaquero front sight blade

Post by Otto »

How is the front sight held in place? It appears simply to be pressed into the slot, or is it welded? Is this something I can do, or do I need a gunsmith? Parts are available at Midway.

EDIT The existing sight has been filed pretty short, and rather crudely so. It also is bent to the left. I haven't test fired it, but all my others seem to shoot fairly close to POA as is, at least so far as my mediocre skills reveal. I can always file it again, but the existing sight looks as though someone worked it over with a bench grinder.
Last edited by Otto on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Replacing Vaquero front sight blade

Post by madman4570 »

I thought they silver soldered them after they are pinned in place with small pin holes?
Why do you want to replace it Otto?
Is it loose or has too much of it has been filed?
Usually I believe they require a barrel vise to get the true correct sight in!
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

madman4570 wrote:I thought they silver soldered them after pinning with small pin holes?
Why do you want to replace it Otto?
Is it loose or has too much of it has been filed?
It has been filed pretty short, and rather crudely so. It also is bent to the left. I haven't test fired it, but all my others seem to shoot fairly close to POA as is, at least so far as my mediocre skills reveal. I can always file it again, but the existing sight looks as though someone worked it over with a bench grinder.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I believe they are done the same way (shown on a recent "How it's made" episode) the USFA is done. The sight fits in a slot, then is welded using an induction ring method where the muzzle of the gun is held within a metal ring through which a current is passed. I believe it is similar to brazing..... In any event I would have the sight machined off, the slot re-cut, and the sight replaced. It's a job for a GOOD smith who can also regulate the pistol (which I doubt is really necessary) while he's at it. If ya want something really cool, buy a beat up old silver dime (ebay), and have the smith fashion a sight from it.....

If I had to guess, the PO was unfamiliar with SA revolvers, held it with his trigger finger "too deep" in the gun, causing it to shoot left and low. Instead of fixing his grip, he "fixed" the gun.....
Certified gun nut
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys just throwing this out there but how much more would it run just to have a brand new barrel put on that comes with new sight(also wouldnt he be able to have different options for the front type sight ?)
I know then the gun would not be original but if he wasnt concerned with that could that be a better option.

Honestly myself I like adjustable sights like on a blackhawk but for cowboy shooting both sights need to be fixed?
Also he would have that chance if he wanted a different barrel length? Like maybe a 4 or 5 incher!
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Madman,

Your best cure for that sight is to shoot that gun at a known distance, say 25 yards, with a known factory load, then ship it back to Ruger. They'll fix it and regulate it for you.
Probably cost less than what a gunsmith would cost.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Probably right Joe, good point!
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

madman4570 wrote:Guys just throwing this out there but how much more would it run just to have a brand new barrel put on that comes with new sight(also wouldnt he be able to have different options for the front type sight ?)
I know then the gun would not be original but if he wasnt concerned with that could that be a better option.

Honestly myself I like adjustable sights like on a blackhawk but for cowboy shooting both sights need to be fixed?
Also he would have that chance if he wanted a different barrel length? Like maybe a 4 or 5 incher!

As a matter of fact, I had looked into replacing the barrel with a 5-1/2-incher, but was advised it would be prohibitively expensive, so I tossed it into a drawer and forgot about it until now. I ran across it a few days ago, and thought maybe replacing the sight would be cheaper.

In retrospect, I should have known the blade was "welded" in place, because it has always iritated me that my stainless has a slight brassy discoloration in that area, as though a different metal were used.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Otto,

I don't know how badly tilted that front sight is, but there is one other "fix" you might try.

Many years ago I needed to put a taller front sight on my second Cattleman revolver. I didn't want to have to go to a gunsmith so I got a tube of silver solder and a piece of steel and made an extension for the front sight. I soldered it on then carefully filed it to match. After that I filed it for elevation then cold blued it. Worked pretty good.
If yours is stainless then all you'd need is a piece of steel and the appropriate solder and you're in business.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Otto, when I replaced the sight on my Bisley Vaquero, I just used a set of pliers, wigled it a bit and pulled it right out of the slot. It appeared to be silver soldered in place.
Mine is stainless and that front silver sight was impossible for me to see. I replaced it with a new dove tailed front sight that I bought from Freedom Arms, it is windage adjustable and I can see it!
Shooting this fixed sight revolver is a pleasure now.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

salvo wrote:Otto, when I replaced the sight on my Bisley Vaquero, I just used a set of pliers, wigled it a bit and pulled it right out of the slot. It appeared to be silver soldered in place.
Mine is stainless and that front silver sight was impossible for me to see. I replaced it with a new dove tailed front sight that I bought from Freedom Arms, it is windage adjustable and I can see it!

that looks awful nice. how much clearance is there, between the bottom of the sight and the bore?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

pokey, it is a pretty shallow dove tail .060"
The barrel wall is .155" thick.
Here is a wright up on GunBlast regarding the sight blade.
http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_NewSight.htm

Here is my wright up on the Ruger Tune Up.
http://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopic ... er+Tune+Up
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Salvo---------------------Think you've got the winner there! :mrgreen:
And it can be had with several various heights that can be simply switched!
Cool :D
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

salvo wrote:Otto, when I replaced the sight on my Bisley Vaquero, I just used a set of pliers, wigled it a bit and pulled it right out of the slot. It appeared to be silver soldered in place.

I like that!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I was going to suggest getting a hold of Scott, but he took care of that. Again, nice sight Scott.
Old Law Dawg
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks! I was just shooting this gun over the July 4th weekend. It's becoming a favorite and the front sight is the reason, well a good part of the reason. Being able to see the sights is like night and day.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I used a Marbles gold bead, the 34 W and it worked just fine.