Tried out an old Winchester 38-55 today (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Tried out an old Winchester 38-55 today (photos)

Post by KirkD »

My brother-in-law let me know he'd like to own an old Winchester 38-55 SRC, so I put the word out. A friend of mine had one he was selling, made in 1907. My brother-in-law has taken a lot of game with his scoped 270 over the years, including Elk, and was feeling the need for both some history and a challenge, so this SRC needed to be fairly accurate. I figured I'd better check it out before completing the sale, and my friend said it was alright with him.

The first load was a bevel base cast bullet over 18 grains of SR4759 for 1,235 fps. Five shots at 100 yards gave me a 3 & 7/8" group. I was pretty happy with that, given that it was my first and only group with that load and the first time shooting that rifle. With practice, I'm sure I can reduce that group size. I've found that a bit stiffer load of SR4759 gives me even better accuracy in my own 38-55 with that particular bullet, so I'd like to try a stiffer recipe of SR4759 in this carbine sometime in the near future. Here's a photo of the target ....

The second load was 30 grains of IMR3031 under some old Dominion 38-55 JSP bullets I had pulled out of some old Dominion factory High Velocity cartridges. The bullets were only .376" diameter, so I was not expecting too much. This load chrono'd at 1,468 fps. When I headed down range to check out the three-shot group, I was pleasantly surprised ..... a 1 & 1/8" three-shot group at 100 yards!! It doesn't get much better than that. Here's a photo of the target (keep in mind, boys, that this is a 103 - year old SRC) ....

Needless to say, I bought the old Winchester for my brother-in-law. It is an honest old gun that no one has messed with. It has enough wear on it to prove that it earned its keep a hundred years ago, probably hanging on a rack at the back door of a farmhouse somewhere in rural Canada, ready at a moment's notice. Here's a photo of the fine old carbine ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Tried out an old Winchester 38-55 today (photos)

Post by Dave »

That gun is a shooter and a looker. Good one to have in the family.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, that is a fine looking carbine. I know that it will sure be put to good use and cared for well, he should be pleased with this one.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Kirk, that is a sweet little carbine. I would have grabbed that in a heartbeat. It will provide many more years of use in the woods and I know your BIL will love it.:)

As I type this, I'm looking at a fine lightweight takedown 38-55. If the gun checks out with Cody I will own it. It has a 3/4 magazine, shotgun butt and small ramp for the front sight. NS barrel, of course.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If it looks like a duck, and it shoots like a duck, it must be a keeper duck. ;) :mrgreen:

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent report and purchase Kirk! Is it fairly simple to transfer a firearm to a family member in Canada?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Excellent report and purchase Kirk! Is it fairly simple to transfer a firearm to a family member in Canada?
It's a simple matter no matter who it is. I make a call to the Firearms Centre and transfer it to the other person. The other person then phones the Centre to confirm the transfer and I then pop the firearm in the mail directly to the person. We do not need to work through an FFL dealer; we can send it directly to the individual. The transfer takes only a few minutes.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Grand!!!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Looks like a good one Kirk.

Do you have any idea what the groove diameter is on that gun? It shoots the smaller bullets pretty well. Seems like most of the older ones have larger bores, and can take some tinkering to get a load they like.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

very nice. :mrgreen:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

KirkD wrote: Here's a photo of the fine old carbine ....

Wow....me want...me want bad.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice find Kirk.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

KirkD wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Excellent report and purchase Kirk! Is it fairly simple to transfer a firearm to a family member in Canada?
It's a simple matter no matter who it is. I make a call to the Firearms Centre and transfer it to the other person. The other person then phones the Centre to confirm the transfer and I then pop the firearm in the mail directly to the person. We do not need to work through an FFL dealer; we can send it directly to the individual. The transfer takes only a few minutes.
Color me jealous!!!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very handsome rifle and good report too.
Love the 38-55 cartridge..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Malamute wrote:
Do you have any idea what the groove diameter is on that gun?
Malamute, I don't know yet. My last 38-55 carbine could not shoot the .376 Dominion JSP worth a hoot, but this one does. I suspect it is tighter and plan to slug the bore. I'm heading out in two days for over a week on the west coast, but plan to do it when I get back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: Very Nice.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wonderful looking old gun, nice shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Very sweet! My only question, is are you sure that rifle is actually gonna leave your house? :) I'd have a real difficult time letting go of that beauty.

You did your brother pround.

Cat
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It occurs to me that this carbine is in the same configuration as one of the puzzle projects I have pending completion. The receiver is from a 1906 SLR. The old barrel is a .30 WCF, though.

My plan is for it to look (and hopefully shoot) just like this one.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Nice piece Kirk! Impressive shooting too!!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Just the right amount of wear to give it a good feel. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

WOW! Your brother-in-law obviously married into the right family. You have any other sisters? :lol:
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams