Coyote around the house. Need the infamous cat sneeze load.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Coyote around the house. Need the infamous cat sneeze load.

Post by bigbore442001 »

Last night I went to my place and spotted something odd on the shoreline trotting on the ice. If I am not mistaken, it was a coyote. Now I can't shoot anything that makes a large report but I know the infamous cat sneeze load would do the trick.

I have an NEF single shot 45-70 with a 24" barrel that would do the trick. What I need is the right load in case I see Wiley along the shoreline again. Thanks.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

And, after going through the yote', the slug'll go skipping across to................. :shock: :roll:

I've put two urban coyotes to sleep, by zipping an Aquila Super Colibri (a sub-sonic .22 CB type) from my Marlin 39a in an ear.
They were trotting right down the middle of the street, one in front and one to the side, of my house at dawn. Cheeky suckers.
Prolly looking for my, or one of my neighbor's pups, as a quick snack.

Worked great, no louder than banging a piece of wood with a hammer.

Neighboorhood dogs raised a ruckus, though - when I dragged 'em to the recycle bin. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I wonder if the guys at the reclaimation center were scratching their heads over that one.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I use .22 CB caps for feral critters in the yard.

They feed and function just fine in my old Iver Johnson levergun too.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

A 12 gauge shotgun with either BB or larger shot up through #4 Buckshot works well out to 50-yards or more. I like the new Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" shells that are loaded with size T shot - 51 pellet count in 3" shells. Use a super full choke and you can get effective results out to 70-yards. With a little practice a regular full choke will be effective out to 70-yards. Lead BBs are great coyote killers too.

Yes, the 12-gauge is a little noisy BUT one shot maybe two wouldn't be that bad and would give the nosy neighbor something to do and complain about.

Use a "reproduction" lever action shotgun from Norinco and you'll be sitting in high cotton.
ED
Yer never too old
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Sub-sonic 22lr target ammo out of my 39a doesn't make much noise and is very accurate. You would need to make a head shot of course, and in my opinion most people wouldn't make much of a single "pop". A rodent squeaker call might be the ticket too, without upsetting the whole neighborhood.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Sounds like your in for fun reloading and experimenting with some 45/70's, for some aaaachewww loads
If I was sure of the back ground, I'd put a big piece of lead though the yote.
John
Gihon
Levergunner

Post by Gihon »

I don't know much about the 45-70 other than watching a couple of guys shooting them at the local range. I find it hard to believe you can make a mouse fanny burp load with that caliber, but I've been wrong before. As others have stated, the .22 rimfire with the right load is probably the way to go. There is an interesting article in the current edition of Fur-Fish & Game magazine in concerns to big bore air rifles that is quiet interesting as well.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:And, after going through the yote', the slug'll go skipping across to................. :shock: :roll:
THAT would be a potential concern near water, or ice, especially with any large relatively slow projectile. The super-fast ones disintegrate and destabilize on even light impact, and the very light ones don't retain velocity very well even if they do ricochet.

I'd strongly consider a 17HMR, a 22 WMR, or an ordinary 22 LR (probably in that order) if ricochet is at all an issue.

Otherwise though, a good sized chunk of lead at just-under-speed-of-sound would be a quiet way to drop a coyote. Sorry I don't have any load info, but I've seen other posts on it here, so someone will likely do so.

What would be nice is a list of 'cat-sneeze' loads for ALL our cartridges; from 45-70 and 444 down to 32-20... :) Anyone want a fun reloading project for this spring...?
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

I tried 6 grains Unique and a round ball in my 45-70 #1. Sound was about like a 22 LR HV rifle load.

Bruce
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

The trick is to use the heaviest boolit possible for the caliber. Read Pacos article here.
http://leverguns.com/articles/paco/small_charges.htm
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Warhawk wrote:I use .22 CB caps for feral critters in the yard.

They feed and function just fine in my old Iver Johnson levergun too.
DITTO on the 22cb
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

One more for the .22CB More effective at short range than you would think.
Also another good round W/ low noise is Aguilia's SSS ( Sniper Sub sonic).

Louder but devistating. I hit a rabbit in the head w/ one of these and it EXPLODED! Never seen anything like it. Was like something out of a Quentin Tarentino movie!

Have made sneeze loads for 308 Win. 3 grains 4064 and a .310 round ball. Penetrated @ 1" oak ply. quiet enough to shoot indoors.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

The rule of thumb I use for .308 caliber sneezes is 0.5 grains of Bullseye for 50 grains of bullet, plus a pinch more for insurance. One .310 round ball weighs 47 grains.

My new favorite cat sneeze for 300 Savage is a 200 grain FMJ Nosler spire point bullet with 3 grains of Bullseye.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I have houses on two sides of me. One is 100 feet away and the other about 200 feet away. In front is a mile of frozen lake. I saw the animal trotting along the shoreline about fifty feet away from my doorstep.

I figured that heavy cast bullet with two or three grains of Unique or Red Dot in the 45-70 will do him a world of good. I am not worried about a richochete off to the south of me.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Well, If you use your house like a silencer you can use about anything.
Set up in the middle of the room, and shoot through an open window or door, other then getting the powder smell out, no problems. :wink:

Besides, one shot in the winter with everyones windows closed is hard to locate, during the day they're usually out to work too.

I wouldn't make a habit of it though.

How far away are these coyotes?
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I'd say that the sucker was about twenty yards away on the frozen shoreline.