OT 1885 High Wall

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

OT 1885 High Wall

Post by Goat »

My home state of Louisiana allow us the the use of exposed hammer, single shot rifles of 38 caliber and larger to be used during our "primitive weapons " seasons. Last year I bought and succesfully used a Knight KP-1 in 45-70 to use during these hunts. However I think I would like to add a touch of class to my hunts by gettig a late producion High Wall in 38-55. I have one shooting buddy that loves the High Wall but I know nothing about them. What do you think of them? what are the strengths and weaknesses of the design? Thanks for any input.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT 1885 High Wall

Post by COSteve »

Strength: They sure are purdy!!!

Weakness: I don't have one.

Taylor's & Co 38-55 high wall.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

COSteve wrote:Strength: They sure are purdy!!!

Weakness: I don't have one.

Taylor's & Co 38-55 high wall.
LISTEN TO STEVE AS HE NAILED THIS ONE TO A FARETHEWELL !!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

I have 2 hiwalls made by a jap company but marked winchester, both shoot better than I do.. use them for 200 yd off hand shooting...
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

One of the strongest of the single-shot actions, and the strongest of the external hammer actions.

Low, centrally hung hammer

Cocks on closing of the action (except later production originals and Ubertis. These come to half cock)

Breech block rises at a forward angle of 6 degrees to help cam in tight cartridges

The 1885, high wall and low, can be chambered in a wide range of cartridge sizes

There many other innovative design features. See the single-shot reference books for details.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

What Steve said. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Listen to Cimarron Red---Howdy Reds! :D The Hi-Wall is probably the easiest single shot to get shootin'. They don't have the heavy hammer fall that a '74 Sharps sidehammer does and their firing pins don't break like a '74 sidehammer does. :D

The year was 2005 (I think). The place--Hamburg, Pa. The contest--who can put the bullet closest to the center of the bull at 300 yards. $1 a shot. Well, I "buy" 5 shots and get up and shoot my 40-82 Hi-Wall and manage to get about 2" from the center. Ole' Cimarron Reds gets up with his 45-70 Hi-Wall and puts one plum through the center of the bull. :D --------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Howdy, Sixgun,

I remember that Hamburg match, too. But I also remember some matches with you where I wasn't so fortunate! Still have that .40-82, I'll bet.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Higwalls are simple rifles to operate. My daughterinlaw used my Italian knockoff to shoot her way thru the Quigley match this year , and she had never fired a centerfire round prior to the day before the match started.
I would suggest you stick with the Winchester marked ones. The Uberti versions take some variatian from the original design and their crescent butt plate is such an odd shape as to make the recoil even from something as mild mannered as the 38-55 to be bothersome. So if you go the Italian route then my suggestion would be to go with the shotgun butt.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

A friend of mine in Michigan just bought a Browning 85 in 38-55.

I found 40 rounds of once fired WW-38-55 brass at the Phoenix Gun Show Saturday.

Today I boxed up the brass and my .375 Winchester dies and shipped them to him.

He Winter's here in the Valley so I will shoot that big 85 this Fall & Winter.

Brand new and in the box.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Coupla years ago, Little Doc let me fire his Hi-Wall at the Friends of Billy Dixon shoot...

What COSteve said. My lttle gun fund is slowly growing....
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

Thanks to all for the information. I have a lead on what I am looking for and will contact them today. It is a Winchester 1885 High Wall Short Hunter. It has a 22" octagon bbl with a tang sight. I like the 22" for my hunting purposes as I hunt in some tight cover and in some small stands. I think that the 22" will give me all I need to take corn cruching bambis. From what a shooting buddy has told me of his loads it seems they must have tight bores since he is shooting commercial jacketed bullets that are sized .375. Two of those are from Hornady and one is the 220gr that most folks seem to shoot in their 375 Winchesters. I guess I need to find out for myself :mrgreen:
Goat
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

CDNN Investments has some Brownchester M85s at great prices.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

A big difference between the Italian's and the Winchester/Browning 85 is the cocking of the Hammer. The W/B's cock the Hammer upon extraction of the fired case. The Italian's you must cock the Hammer manually.
Makes a big difference for the follow-up shots.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I am kind of partial to mine!

Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

If I go through with this I think I will use the tang sight for all my paper punching and playing but scope it for use in the hunting woods. I know that may be next to the unpardonable to some but I much prefer an optical sight to make great shot placement in poor light when I get most of my opportunities. The description of this rifle says that it is drilled and tapped for optics but I have no idea what bases are available to fit the high wall. Do you have any suggestions?
Goat
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

The Burris and Leupold two piece bases are the best. Just make sure you put them in the right position. The height on them is different.

Be careful on the price on those new Hi-Walls. Some of them are pretty high. I have looked at some of the newer Carbine length rifles. They are pretty nice, but I did not see any with good wood on them. And I also do not like the crescent butt plate. Call the fellow at LeverGun Leather and have him make a custom butt pad for your rifle. You will be glad you did.

I saw a beautiful Low Wall the other day that looked NIB, and he had the box. It was a 454 Casull. Which would have been a great cartridge. He sold it for $650. That Was a heck of a deal.

I also just bought a Low Wall not too long ago in 45 Colt for $850. Do not discount the pistol cartridges in those rifles. They will give great performance in a rifle. Pretty close to your 38-55. and with a lot cheaper ammo. Just an idea. But if you like a lighter and shorter rifle then don't pick up a Low Wall because you will fall in love with it. Tom.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Goat wrote:If I go through with this I think I will use the tang sight for all my paper punching and playing but scope it for use in the hunting woods. I know that may be next to the unpardonable to some but I much prefer an optical sight to make great shot placement in poor light when I get most of my opportunities. The description of this rifle says that it is drilled and tapped for optics but I have no idea what bases are available to fit the high wall. Do you have any suggestions?
Goat
Most any of the scope manufacturers will have bases for that rifle.
You could tho for just a bit of flair go with one of the Leatherwood Malcolm type scopes.
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

mine's set up for scheutzen and it's r handed and i'm not anybody know where i can get a pistol grip lever or if one from a modern hw will fit? i can get wood from treebone.
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

I picked up a NIB Winchester 85 in 38-55 with the 30" octagon barrel just this spring. It is an incredible rifle. It is gorgeous and shoots better N' it looks!

The single stage adjustable trigger came out of the box at a little under 4 pounds. The action is as smooth as a 73. The tang sight is in the perfect place. It is truly a nail driver.

I'm shooting a 245 gr flat point bevel base bullet from Penn bullets inc (rated up to 2000 fps) over 24 grains of 5744. It comes out of the 85 at around 1600 fps, and the rifle's weight makes the recoil more than manageable. That round out of my Winchester 94 feels a bit more stout for sure.

If you can afford the Winchester 85 over the Uberti, buy it. You won't be unhappy.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

The new Browning / Winchester HiWalls are not quite the same as the originals (no lower tang for starters) but are very nice guns all the same. There are a few variants in case you are interested. The most notable difference are some models (intended for use in BPCR matches) have longer upper tangs, presumably to accommodate the large target type tang sights. The normal length tang model will still accomodate a Marbles tang sight.

On the 38/55 chambering you might want to do some research on barrel size, twist and throat dimensions so that you know what you're in for when it comes to handloading or sourcing ammo.
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Re: the Kama

Post by rusty gunns »

jklm227 wrote:the Kama River six Putnam wide wow gold bed, the benevolent of posture so far that year did not cut much, alter wow powerleveling now, grouping condition to learning unitedly with the factual wow accounts mixer onto the period to go overlooking, he also never supported buy wow gold mastered . He visited galore places, through it unnumberable mercantilism, where the back of the cheap wow gold finish, dig, instrumentation, materials, intellection in the surface of a play .
I was saying the same thing just the other day, but my wife thinks we should serve fish.

(What the hell was that!?)
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)