They say confession is good for the soul!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

They say confession is good for the soul!

Post by Charles »

I have always been a very traditional fellow when it comes to guns and the carrying thereof..carbon steel, walnut and leather..only way to go.

Well for the past two months my daily carry gun has been a cocked and locked Browning Hi-Power (9mm) stuffed with Cor-Bon DPX ammo. The pistol is blued steel and the grips are walnut..so far, so good!

The holster is a Blade-Tech kydex gizmo. I bought it from a fellow because it was cheap, left handed and I didn't have a Hi-Power hip holster. It is sorta like a Kydex Threepersons with the front cut out for a blazing fast draw. The holster is light, and wears tight to the body. It conceals well with any kind of overshirt of light jacket.

The pistol holsters easy with a sorta click and remains there come hell or high water.

I hate to say it, but this Blade-tech really is as good or better than any leather belt holster I have tried.

After everything is said and done, the pistol, ammo and holster make a first class defense handgun. No handgun or planet earth fits my hand as well and points as easy as the Browning Hi-Power. Gotta love em!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: They say confession is good for the soul!

Post by Andrew »

Charles wrote:Gotta love em!
No I don't. But I have heard good things. :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The do an adequate job, but they have no soul. :cry:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

John Browning might die if he knew that!

At least my 1911 is in a keldex molded hoster that has leather covering it. :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hi-Powers and 1911s, the only semi-autos with SOUL!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:Hi-Powers and 1911s, the only semi-autos with SOUL!
If I may? A Woodsman or MKII gets a nod from me :wink:
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

My 1903 might beg to differ.
ImageImage
ImageImage
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Brother Charles,

Those Kydex holsters are slick. But be advised that they will wear the finish of your gun pretty heavy before you notice it. No big deal with a Glock or something like that, but I think they hold dust and will sand the slide of a 1911 pretty badly.

Best regards,

Scott
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have noticed only one wear point and that is on the frame just in front of the trigger guard. I use my tanker holster most of the time, but for for $5 I liked the Safariland Paddle, beleive me I will keep an eye open for it.
I guess I did forget to add that mine is kyldex formed but has a leather lining as well as on the outside of the holster as well.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I've been using a BladeTech holster for over 10 years to carry a 1911. I'm still happy with it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Oops, I think some may have misinterpeted my "no soul" comment. It was about the Kydex holsters, not the 1911 or Hi-Power. They carry the soul of many a forgotten warrior.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

20cows wrote:I've been using a BladeTech holster for over 10 years to carry a 1911. I'm still happy with it.
Might be the particular brand of holster I had, and I think it was a blade tech, but I cannot be sure.

This is what it did to my 1911.

You can see the particular wear marks on the slide just where the ejection port is, that is where the holster would snap into the port to retain the pistol.

I went back to leather. But I would not hesitate to carry one with my Glock or a stainless 1911.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ScottT wrote:
20cows wrote:I've been using a BladeTech holster for over 10 years to carry a 1911. I'm still happy with it.
Might be the particular brand of holster I had, and I think it was a blade tech, but I cannot be sure.

This is what it did to my 1911.

You can see the particular wear marks on the slide just where the ejection port is, that is where the holster would snap into the port to retain the pistol.

I went back to leather. But I would not hesitate to carry one with my Glock or a stainless 1911.
That's not bluing, is it? Some kind of coating?
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

It was bead blasted, parkerized and then dropped in the blue tank. Never rusts.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mine was " tricked " when I bought it.
I have NEVER considered selling it.
HP that is
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Finish wear was an issue I was concerned about. There is a very thin line about an inch long near the right side muzzle end of the slide. It has not worn through the finish, just a shade duller. I am keeping an eye on it. My HP is a just two years old and has a high polish blue. Very pretty!! It also comes with an all steel adjustable rear sight burried in the top of the slide.

I have not done anything to the pistol other than remove the magazine safety to give a better trigger pull. Dadgum thing shoots about like a 22 in my hands. It has been this way with me and HPs since I fired my first one in 1965. I was even using some Winchester 9mm ball made for subguns with jacked up velocity. It was USGI stuff clearly marked "For Sub-Machine Guns Only". The pistol still felt like I was shooting a 22. There is something about the way the HP grip fits my hand. It just soaks up the recoil.

While still a 45 ACP man, I feel very confident carrying a 9mm HP with the very good Cor-bon DPX ammo.
Last edited by Charles on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't know what the finish is, but my glock 36 has been beat to death and shows little or no markings.....too bad I really don't like it very much...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:
If I may? A Woodsman or MKII gets a nod from me :wink:
Ok, an early Woodsman... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Kilroy6644 wrote:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Well, maybe... :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

IMHO the Browning HiPower is my all time favorite semi auto,I have had one since 1961 and have carried one all over the place.My present one Belgium ,HiViz front sight, no magazine disconnect,Navridex thin grips,C&S hammer and sear.It uses MeGar 15 round mags.Doug
a armed man is his own master
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I never go anywhere without my S&W CS9 DAO. It's a single stack compact and carries like a dream.

I also have them loaded with the Corbon DPX.

And they're right about the Kydex holsters.

I used one for about 3 months when out hiking or scouting and it wore the blue on the slide.

If you like the finish on your pistol, get some sort of soft holster, leather or nylon.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A digression...

I've got a couple of the magazines I'm supposed to sell for a friend for the Hungarian copy of the Hi-Power. Will they work in the Belgian or Portugese guns?
Sincerely,

Hobie

canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Hobie, they will work in any of the HiPowers/clones . Doug
a armed man is his own master
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I used a Safariland thigh holster in the Gulf, (never used "for real"). It was a great holster for carry with a full kit. I have a Surefire mount to put my light on my pistol the next time I head down range and was looking at the Blade Tech. Glad to hear you like it, I may try it out.

And yes, they "should" work just fine.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

Hobie wrote:
Kilroy6644 wrote:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Well, maybe... :wink: :lol:
That little "beauty" is 102 years old. Great gun. Wanted one for years. 8)
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."