Movie - Unforgiven

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Movie - Unforgiven

Post by gundownunder »

Just sat down and watched Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, and Gene Hackman.
The movie is set in 1880 and they mention the Spencer rifle and the S&W Scoffield pistol and then right after the first of the two cowboys gets killed, some idiot in the posse says the store won't supply any more 30-30 shells unless they'se got the money to pay for 'em.
I've seen the movie 3 or 4 times and this is the first time I've noticed the mistake.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Movie - Unforgiven

Post by rjohns94 »

I never noticed that before. sheeeshhhhhhhh. :shock:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is another movie I will have to watch again :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I know the movie received all kinds of accolades, but I never really got into it. The part I look forward to seeing is when Clint goes into town and get's his reckonin'.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Dark, sinister view of the human condition... Hollywierd at its finest! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I know he ended up on the west coast...Hope he took that pretty lady with him....prolly not :roll: Big dummie. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I didn't catch that it was set in the 1880's, I thought the 30-30 reference put it in the 1890's. My impression about the Spencer rifle was that it was a relic, it was Morgan Freeman's old rifle from back when he and Clint Eastwood were young and full of beans. Remember they had a wild youth and the movie was set 20 years or so later.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

There were several things in the movie that established the time period, but the only one I recall off the top of my head was the newspaper story regarding the shooting of President Arthur. That took place in the summer of 1881.

I have always supposed Will and Ned had been outlaws, but now that I consider the time line, it seems more likely they had been partisan raiders, from whichever side.

EDIT My bad, it was President Garfield, who of course was succeeded by Arthur.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It was one of the better westerns made without John Wayne in my opinion. I have come to expect mistakes in Hollywood Westerns. I like the way that Gene Hackman portrayed the character of Little Bill. He kept the malice just under the surface, but he was a little bit creepy in that role. It made it more real to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

It was a good if sinister show, will have to watch it again to cop the comment, I have a copy in my movie library. Clint Eastwood is one of the greats, along with Lee Vand Cleef who always appears to play 2nd fiddle to Mr Eastwood.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Eh, everyone makes small mistakes. After all, we all got it comin' kid... :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

i didn't much like the movie myself. Maybe I ought to watch it again. Then again, I'm not a tremendous Eastwood fan.

I thought Eastwood and Freeman had been bounty-hunters together, not outlaws.

A for the .30-30 comment, I'm reasonably ceertain it was an error. However, Ballard did produce a .30-30 cartridge starting in the late 1870's. It was never as popular as the .30-30 WCF
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The .30-30 Wesson round was available back then, but I think "they" just made a common Movie Mistake in that scene..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I love this movie and have watched it many times. But, I cringe everytime I hear the 30-30 line. This movie took so much care in showing a variety of period firearms, but blew such an easy thing to reference. Besides the line is pointless to the story and is spoken by a forgettable character. No excuse for it. It is like if Hutch told Starsky to pull into Walmart so he can buy a box of .40 S&W.
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flounderjig »

Favorite part was the shoot out in the end, follow Clint and who he shoots first, throws the shotgun and gets down to make for the smaller target, shoots the civil war vet after a shot at Little Bill. Good story line, liked little Bill and English Bob.