.243 Win.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

.243 Win.

Post by cshold »

On Topic: I have heard and experienced people shun the model 88 and the 99 just
because it is chambered in the controversial .243 Win.
Why is that? I for one feel the .243 is one of the greatest rounds ever developed.

"If you could have just one rifle to slay varmints, hunt white-tails, shoot paper at long range, and duel in tactical matches, it would be hard to beat the .243 Winchester. This versatile "little brother" of the .308 Winchester is a true triple-threat as a match cartridge, varmint cartridge, and game cartridge. With 115gr DTAC bullets, a .243 rivals a 6.5-284 ballistically out to 1000 yards. Shooting 80-100 grain hunting bullets, a .243 will anchor a buck with authority. Driving the light 55-75 grain pills, the .243 provides the flat trajectory and high impact energy varminters love. As a tactical round, the .243 is one of the best, offering excellent ballistics, moderate recoil, and stone-reliable feeding from a detachable magazine."

http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Re: .243 Win.

Post by Joel »

My favorite round next to .22lr

Killed countless deer and antelope, couple cow elk.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

It's the only bolt gun I use anymore for hunting. Deadly accurate, and plenty of power for up to elk sized game. I took a mulie year before last with 1 shot, DRT. I like it because, as stated, it is extremely versatile. Light bullets for varmints, heavier for deer. IMO, if you had a .243 and a .308, there would be little NEED for anything else as far as a rifle goes. Use the .308 with heavier bullets for bigger game than deer or elk. Now, WANT is a whole other story :D

It comes in a smaller package than the whizbang magnums, is lighter to carry, no kick, flat shooting, accurate out to several hundred yards, plenty adequate for up to deer or elk. It's hard to find a downside to this dandy little cartridge.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yep, if I could only one one rifle to do everything I wanted to do with a rifle, the .243 would be on the very short list. I've taken a couple of mule deer with a .243 pistol. (though I wouldn't really want ti use anything much smaller for muleys)

I was real surprised to see it vilified on some of the other threads.

Maybe we could call it the 6mm-08 and get a new wave of followers?

I'm still looking for a Model Seven or a Ruger compact rifle in .243 (or 788, but I can't find any more $89.95 ones). In the meantime, by Thompson Encore fills the gap very well.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

AFA centerfire rounds go, I'm a confirmed .257/7x57/.308 guy with occasional forays into the world of the -06. I'm not totally sold on the .243, probably due to lack of familiarity, BUT the .243 heavy barreled 98 Mauser I have is doing it's best to change my mind.

It's intriguing enough that if I rebarrel it to a lighter profile, I'll probably stick with the .243.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Deer I got last season with the .243 Win.
What you see there is the exit hole of a standard
Federal Classic 100 grain SP. :shock:
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I took 2 Whitetails and 1 Mule deer last year with 3 rounds from my .243. Two were dead where they were shot; the third ran off some 40 yards-even though, he too, was likely "dead" but didn't know it. This is pretty much typical of my deer hunting seasons over the past 10 years or so. I've surely got no complaints about the .243 !
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I hunt alot of woodchucks with my .243, so I carry 65- or 70-grainers. I shoot nuisance deer when the opportunity presents itself, and I've never had one run more than 75 yards or so, despite the poor bullet choice.

Before anyone cries foul, I will move up to 95gr Noslers once I exhaust the current supply.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The 243 always reminded me of the old saying "Jack of all trades, Master of none". Now before you start flaming, let me say that I've had a 243 for a long time. Killed my biggest whitetail with it too. But, I like to have different guns, lots of them in all different calilbers. So a compromise, do all type cartridge just doesn't appeal to me like it used to. It's too heavy for a real varmint rifle, and it's on the light side for deer and larger game. The one thing I still like mine for is long range coyote hunting, and that's all it's seen for years.
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

TedH wrote:The 243 always reminded me of the old saying "Jack of all trades, Master of none". Now before you start flaming, let me say that I've had a 243 for a long time. Killed my biggest whitetail with it too. But, I like to have different guns, lots of them in all different calilbers. So a compromise, do all type cartridge just doesn't appeal to me like it used to. It's too heavy for a real varmint rifle, and it's on the light side for deer and larger game. The one thing I still like mine for is long range coyote hunting, and that's all it's seen for years.
Thanks Ted, no flaming here, nothing wrong with an experienced honest opinion. :wink:
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I would almost go so far as to say that the .243 may belong in the "under-appreciated" category. It seems to have fallen out of favor quite a bit, but is still a very useful cartridge. Just about the only place I see it being used nowadays is for a "beginner's" round for women or kids. Most of the people I know don't even own a .243, much less hunt with one.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep great round the standard .243 and the .243AI are gaining in popularity in the tactical match and long range community. If I can get my gun fund to quit going to other things I plan on putting a 243 bbl on my Stevens 200.

Here is some cool info.
http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Almost seems the .243 has, and is taking on the Love / hate status the
30-30 has attained over its many years.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

casastahle wrote:Almost seems the .243 has, and is taking on the Love / hate status the
30-30 has attained over its many years.
That's what I'm screamin'!! You just say it a lot better than me :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Works well out here on small deer and antelope.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've never been a big advocate of the Win 88 or Savage 99 but it was just because I didn't care for the hammerless rifles !

Now as to the 243 WIN cartridge I've had one or more rifles chambered for since 1972 when I purchased my first "high powered" rifle at the ripe old age of 11 !

Own a pair of 243's as we speak !

Nice old 1962 vintage Winchester Model 70 FWT and a Ruger #1B purchased new about 5 years ago !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I got one last winter (haven't shot it yet) because I wanted to lighten my kit. The lightest rifle out there is the Youth Handi-Rifle and it comes in .243. I just put a lightweight scope on it and am ready to sight it in.

I'm pretty excited to try it. "Small" describes most of the deer out here and I also want to hunt coyote the rest of the year.

One guy was rating some .243 ammo on the Midway site and said it left a 3" exit would on the deer he shot.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

El Chivo wrote:I got one last winter (haven't shot it yet) because I wanted to lighten my kit. The lightest rifle out there is the Youth Handi-Rifle and it comes in .243. I just put a lightweight scope on it and am ready to sight it in.

I'm pretty excited to try it. "Small" describes most of the deer out here and I also want to hunt coyote the rest of the year.

One guy was rating some .243 ammo on the Midway site and said it left a 3" exit would on the deer he shot.
El Chivo, As I Mentioned earlier in the thread, I used just plain jane Fed. Classic
100 gr. Soft points. In the pictured deer, the bullet entered just behind
the opposite shoulder. The exit hole that’s visible in the picture, is at the
base of the neck. The exit hole being big enough to push 3 fingers in
side by side. Everything north of the deer’s diaphragm was for the
most part liquefied. This is the first deer I ever took with a .243 Win.
Needless to say I was very impressed. To put it in Terry M. lingo,
"THAT LITTLE ROUND GOT SOME A** TO IT. " :shock:
Sorry Terry,we do appreciate ya brother. :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The friend who introduced me to deer hunting, Barry, only used a .243 for all of his hunting. The only time I know of that he ever had to track a deer was when he waited too late and couldn't get the 100 grain bullets and got the 80 grain ones as they were all that was on the shelf. Twenty grains is a real difference in the .243, and the 100 grain bullets left 10 deer in the 5 years I hunted with him DRT. I moved and have lost track of him, but there is no doubt that he is still using that .243 and still filling his 2 tags every year.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I have used the 243 to take 11 deer and ?? coyotes over several seasons. I have used 70 gr Nosler ballistic tip and 100 gr Winchester bulk. I had one deer have to lay out over night. That was more of a problem with shooting just before dark and less of a problem with the cartridge. The shot went through the lungs a little high and the deer ended up about 120 yards from where he was hit. The deer was easily found the next morning. I have never used the 70 gr bullet on deer, but I have shot end to end on coyote with it. I would not take my 243 on a pay and travel hunt for anything larger or tougher than WTD, but that is just me.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Way back in 1969, my Dad (1922 - 2004) bought this Remington slide action rifle .243 for my brother and me. Not only is this rifle SUPER accurate, it's quick to point and very fast for second or third shot. Over the decades, many mulies and 'lopes have been neatly felled by me and extended family. If this cartridge was inadequate, we would've traded it off long ago.

I think some folks are disappointed that .243 knocked 250-3000 from its throne as King of deer/varmint cartridges. Certainly, 250 Savage is an outstanding cartridge. But due to marketing and other factors, .243 is much more popular. Unfair but true.

The advent of Premium bullets has elevated .243 lethality considerably. Some say it kills like a 25-06. We've taken animals with a variety of factory ammo and handloads. Favorites include 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, Hornady SST, and Sierra Pro Hunter. Plain Remington core-lockt, Winchester Power Point, and FEDERAL Classic have taken much game for us as well.

The stocks on this rifle were replaced in late 1970's after a bad fall while hunting mulies in Sweet Water County, Wyoming. Scope is Simmons AETEC featuring 2.8X - 10X. This is the brightest scope I've ever owned!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

dr walker wrote:I have used the 243 to take 11 deer and ?? coyotes over several seasons. I have used 70 gr Nosler ballistic tip and 100 gr Winchester bulk. I had one deer have to lay out over night. That was more of a problem with shooting just before dark and less of a problem with the cartridge. The shot went through the lungs a little high and the deer ended up about 120 yards from where he was hit. The deer was easily found the next morning. I have never used the 70 gr bullet on deer, but I have shot end to end on coyote with it. I would not take my 243 on a pay and travel hunt for anything larger or tougher than WTD, but that is just me.
I'm with you there dr, I would step up one level to my 99 in .308 Win.
That said, if all I had was my .243 Win. I would not hesitate to use it
with a premium payload.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Great post t.r. thanks. :)
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

100 grain Sierra Game Kings

as good as it gets for my .243
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

And here I thought you guys were smart. I can't believe any of you would reccommend such an anemic cartridge as the .243. Why, all you need to do is go to some hunting forums on the web and they'll tell you straight up the 243 isn't good for anything. You guys just need to stick with levers.;)
Dave in TX
p.s. just picked up a really nice Remington 600 with 4X weaver scope. In the anemic .243 I might add:)
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I owned a Mannlicher Schoenauer in .243 and tried very hard to love it, as I loved the rifle. I simply could not do so. It was an erratic killer on larger game, yet blew smaller game to smithereens, and when I shot for the pot with it I would wind up throwing out much of the front end because of the effect of a HV projectile.

If I ever owned another I would want to get it very cheaply because I would want to be shooting only premium projectiles in it.

One problem with the multiple use firearm is that to extract the benefits of the 243 in a varmint rifle one needs a barrel profile that is to heavy to try and carry around after larger game. To me this one gun concept never worked, even when I was an impoverished uni student who was desperately trying to keep the size of his arsenal within affordable limits.

Some guys can make the 243 work for them. With premium projectiles I rate it an 'expert' calibre for the fellow who can pick and choose his shots- certainly not for the beginner.

Personally I would rather have a 257 roberts.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

TX50Cal wrote:And here I thought you guys were smart. I can't believe any of you would reccommend such an anemic cartridge as the .243. Why, all you need to do is go to some hunting forums on the web and they'll tell you straight up the 243 isn't good for anything. You guys just need to stick with levers.;)
Dave in TX
p.s. just picked up a really nice Remington 600 with 4X weaver scope. In the anemic .243 I might add:)
LOL :lol: ya don't even have to go to other "hunting forums" stay tuned in right here just scroll down from your last post. :wink:

At least two of the best levers ever built were packaged in that "useless" .243 Win.
The model 88 and the model 99.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

T.R.- Nice photos.