OT: Kinda but not. Stay put, high lube grease

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Kinda but not. Stay put, high lube grease

Post by J Miller »

OK, I'm guilty as the next guy of having 90 gazillion bottles and tubes and tubs of various lubes. As far as oils go I'm not really concerned. But I need a grease that will stay on the spot(s) I put it and do it's lube thing for a long time.

Specifically on the hammer cam and bolt finger for my Uberti.

I've got:

white lithium grease (about 20 pounds of it)
molybdenum lithium based chassis grease
Outers Gunslick grease
Singer Sewing Machine grease
Red high temp / high load disc break wheal bearing grease
synthetic disc break caliper grease
NRA formula bullet lube
Door-ease

I've seen grease that stays where you put it, and stays slick for a long time, but I never saw the container it came from so I have no idea what it was.
I've been using the white lithium grease and I guess it's working. But I think I've used too much. Bad habit.

Any suggestions?

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Kinda but not. Stay put, high lube grease

Post by iceman »

I have never used sewing machine grease but I bet it would/should work well. The internal parts on those machines really move quickly and would be prone to throw grease.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

JOE,
I HAVE USED MAGALUBE GREASE FOR DECADES NOW. IT IS A TEFLON GREASE FROM THE MOTORCYLCE INDUSTRY[?] THAT IS SUPERB AND NEVER BUT NEVER MIGRATES ANY WHERE. IT ALSO HAS THE SAME TEMP SPECS AS TRIFLON/BREAK FREE ETC FROM -65* TO +400* OR SOME CRAZY OUTTA SIGHT NUMBER LIKE THAT. THIS IS SOME GOOD STUFF AND I DO NOT MEAN MAYBE. I AM STILL ON MY ORIGINAL TUBE FROM 25 YEARS AGO AND GOD ONLY KNOWS HOW MANY SA BASE PINS I'VE LUBED WITH IT. I USUALLY PUT IT ON WITH TOOTHPICKS IN THE FRAME HOLES, THEN DIP THE BASE PIN A BIT INTO THE GREASE AND RUB IT ALL AROUND THE BASE PIN BEFORE PUTTING THE GUN BACK TOGETHER.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Joe, The Outers grease is good stuff as is a grease I got from Brownells. I will see if I can find a link.

Use what you got or if feeling flush look at this one. I have used it for years in high load small gun part applications.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1638 ... GREASE_OIL
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Terry, that sounds like it would work well on the M1 Garand bolt too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Terry,

Is this MAGALUBE GREASE the stuff they use for chain lube? I've seen some of that stuff that stays on the chain no matter how fast the chain spins.

Chuck,

I bookmarked the grease at Brownells. Next order, when ever that might be, I just might give it a try.

The lithium grease I'm using right now turns black and seems to break down as it's being used. I might be wrong but I don't think it's really a strong enough grease for pistolas.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

well, from a fishing reel repairman, zebco/quantum hot sauce grease stays soft longer than any other grease I've ever seen, and does not decompose to waxes over time.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Is this the product you're talking about, Terry?

Magnalube-G

http://www.magnalube.com
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

In 1943 the Army adopted a rifle grease for the Garand and other small arms. It has the properties to stay put, lubricate well, prevented corrosian and was highly resistant to water. You can still find one pounds cans of this stuff around or buy Lubriplate which is the commercial version. Brownells sells it in 14 oz cans.

It served out troops well in the Pacific theater and will still do anything you want a gun grease to do. A thin coat on all metal to metal contact surfaces and the weapon will work in a tropical downpour. You may get rust on the other surfaces, but there will be no rust where it counts. It is the only grease I have in my shop now.

If you don't want to do that, any marine moly high speed bearing grease will do the same.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Charles,
Thanks for the info. Lubriplate; I used to use something with a name like that, it came in a metal tube to lube the door strikers on cars. Many many years ago. I haven't seen any in years.
It was a whiteish semi hard grease and kept the door strikers lubed quite well.

There is a military surplus store near me, I'll hit them up tomorrow and see if they have any of the military version.

Joe
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Tristan wrote:Is this the product you're talking about, Terry?

Magnalube-G

http://www.magnalube.com
YEP, I THINK THAT IS IT. IF IT SMELLS LIKE FRESH BABY SHIQ IT IS THE SAME STUFF FOR SURE !!! I DO REMEMBER IT'S SPECS WERE IDENTICAL TO THE BREAKFREE TEFLON STUFF BUT IT WAS IN GREASE FORM. I AM STILL ON MY FIRST TUBE FROM 20+ YEARS AGO BUT I SQUEEZED THE TUBE INTO A NEW PLASTIC PILL BOTTLE BACK WHEN I GOT IT SO I COULD USE TOOTHPICKS EASILY TO PICK UP A DAB TO USE. IT SEEMINGLY LASTS FOREVER.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

J Miller wrote:Charles,
Thanks for the info. Lubriplate; I used to use something with a name like that, it came in a metal tube to lube the door strikers on cars. Many many years ago. I haven't seen any in years.
It was a whiteish semi hard grease and kept the door strikers lubed quite well.

There is a military surplus store near me, I'll hit them up tomorrow and see if they have any of the military version.

Joe
The military product is a reddish color. I buy them at the gun shows. They are in a small plastic container and will fit in the rifle butt of M1's & M14's. They were priced, 5 for a $1.00 at one time.

I, like Terry use a tooth pick for an applicator. I use this on each end of the cylinder/bushing on my 44 Colts and Rem-oil on the base pin. This holds up under the heat very well.
The innerds I use the Tetra grease.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Joe I have been using Neco Moly-Slide for quite a few years now. Still on my first tube, it works great, stays put and lasts a long time.

http://www.neconos.com/details7a.htm
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think I mentioned in the first post I was currently using the white lithium grease cos I have a lot of it. The reason I don't like it is it absorbs every bit of junk, breaks down and turns into a black mess.
So now I have some really great suggestions and I'm gonna try some of them.

Thanks for all of them.

Joe
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Here is the full dope on the GI rifle grease

GREASE, RIFLE
Mil-G-46003 (ord) Amend. 2
9150-754-0063

This is what is in the little grease containers that fit in a rifle butt. A one pound can will fill 190 of those little gizmos.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Charles wrote:Here is the full dope on the GI rifle grease

GREASE, RIFLE
Mil-G-46003 (ord) Amend. 2
9150-754-0063

This is what is in the little grease containers that fit in a rifle butt. A one pound can will fill 190 of those little gizmos.
Charles,

I didn't make the surplus shot today so I'll write this down and put it in my wallet for when I do make it there. Thanks.

Joe