RE: Sixgunner/Levergunner Family Cookbook

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

RE: Sixgunner/Levergunner Family Cookbook

Post by Doc Hudson »

Sixgunner/Leverguns Family Cookbook
As it stands 2 June, 2010

Gentlemen Brothers,

To date I have compiled 178 recipes, plus a small number of Stories, articles and essays for the cookbook.

By categories there are:

Beverages 2
Breads 9
Desserts 33
Fish & Seafood 9
Game 16
Beef & Pork 46
Miscellaneous 20
Poultry 16
Vegetables and fixin’s 27

In addition I have five short stories and articles plus four short collections of tips, and folk wisdom.

I had set a goal of compiling 500 recipes before I attempt to publish this cookbook, but it is starting to look like I will need to revise that number downward. I won’t lie to you, I could probably dig into my recipe files and finish out the 500 recipes this week and probably have it ready for sale by Independence Day. But I don’t want to do that. I don’t want this to be Doc Hudson’s Cookbook; I want it to be a Family Cookbook with contributions from all the old Sixgunner/Levergunner Family.

I started this project at the suggestion of another person some year ago. There was lots of initial interest and lots of contributions and there have been sporadic contributions since, but nothing much recently.

If you fellows want me to carry on this project, y’all are going to have to give me some feedback and some help. Y’all are going to have to let me know if you’d be willing to buy a much thinner cookbook. If you’d rather me finish the project from my files. Or if y’all want to dig into your own recipe files and make more contributions.

If you want to contribute a recipe, send it to me @ dochudson2 AT yahooDOTcom in the subject line put “COOKBOOK: RECIPE”. If you want to post the recipe on the forum that is fine, but I might miss it.

Along with the recipe, include your name, your forum Handle, and tell us a little about the recipe. (Nothing fancy, just a line or two telling something about it or some special twist you use to make it better, or where it came from.) If you have a story about cooking, at home or in camp, or a favorite hunting story you want to share send that along as well. If you have a list of old folk wisdom handed down from your great-grandma and great-grandpa, send it along.

I really want this cookbook to be different from others. I want it to be something that a stranger can pick up and read some of the recipes and put it down saying, “Those guys are alright folks.” Sure we fuss and argue and get mad with each other, but the core of this group has stuck together for nearly 15 years. We’ve made fast friendships and developed relationships that are pretty darned rare among neighbors and families these days. I want that to shine through in this cookbook. That is why I need your help on deciding the next step in this project.

So, Gentlemen, and Ladies, let me know what y’all think.

Doc Hudson

Amici familia ab lectio est
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: RE: Sixgunner/Levergunner Family Cookbook

Post by Doc Hudson »

One thing i forgot to add.

When this project finally gets published, part of the proceeds from the sale of each cookbook will go to support the Leverguns.com Forum and part to suport Jim and Twyla Taylor's Mozambique Mission and Paul Moreland's Columbian Mission.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Doc,

When you first started this Family Cookbook project I sent in a recipe. Do you still have it, or should I resend it?

I am still interested and will see if my wife has any favorite recipes she'd like to contribute.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Joe,
if you sent it, I have it. i saed everything on a thumb drive just in case of a computer crash. THNANK GOD!!!

What was the recipe, and I'll double check?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Doc Hudson wrote:Joe,
if you sent it, I have it. i saed everything on a thumb drive just in case of a computer crash. THNANK GOD!!!

What was the recipe, and I'll double check?
Doc,
It was the one named Aussie or Australian Stew. A couple pounds of ground beef and just about every veggie known to man.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

These are the people our church used when we did a cookbook a few years ago, unless you already have the publishing side of it covered. Pretty hassle-free and reasonable.

http://www.morriscookbooks.com/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Doc,
To put it in perspective here(compared to most you guys I am a newbie) However I would either buy the book if it was thinner,or glady send a couple of the misses favorite reciepes!
I know that dont help much with the choice but either idea is a keeper!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I would like to see contributions from members along with location so I can see what's good where.
I will leave the length up to you. If you get burn out, publish.

Put me down for a copy or three.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I would be interested in a copy. I can also send you a bunch of recipes. All of my recipes have deep Southern and Texas roots, and a lot of my wife's recipes are from New Mexico to add a little Southwestern flavor. I'm sure I could dig up quite a few, and my grandmother's cake recipes are some of the best in the world!

This sounds like a great project, and there will be a lot of history behind some of the recipes. I like anything with honest history behind it.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Thanks a bunch gents.

Send those recipes, include your location, and Shooter, be sure to tell us a bit about Grandma and her great cakes.

Send them to dochudson2 AT yahoo DOT com . And please send each recipe in a separate e-mail.

Let's set a target for of having it ready in time for Christmas.

BTW, which would y'all prefer, CD or hardcopy?

Image Image
UNITE!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I personally would like a hard copy rather than a cd. Cd's get scratched, computers crash, but there are recipe books in my family that have been around for decades.

On second thought, a cd might not be that bad. I can always print, laminate, and make my own hard copy. Either is good with me.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Doc,

You gottum PM from me.

Joe
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I'm in for some recipes, some of my own and some from my family. My Mom's a great cook...wish I had inherited the gene. But I did learn how to make a few decent things.

Great idea! Let's see it through.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My wife is from WV and up there it is a tradition for churches to come out with cookbooks every few years. The profits from the book usually go towards some mission project the ladies have at the time. We have several recipes from those books that have become family favorites. My wife has also come up with a few good ones on her own.

Personally I'd like prefer to see it in a hard copy as it's easier to use in the kitchen that way, but it also increases publishing and shipping costs. I know for myself if it were in a hard copy I'd take probably 3 copies myself. On disk, one would do not because I'd attempt to copy it, but because the other cooks I know wouldn't want to fool with it. I just asked the wife and she said she like to turn the pages in a cook book.

My recipes will be on the way shortly.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Doc,
Count me in also for some reciepes.
Also count me in for at least 3 books as well! But if you rather do the CD's then a few of those then!(Honestly, just speaking for myself I kinda fancy the book version a little more)

What a neat thing! Great idea!
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Doc, I got into dutch oven cooking after reading about the "Sixgunner Biscuits" years ago. Now I have 3 camp dutch ovens, 1 domed lid oven for hanging over a fire and a plethora of skillets. Will the cookbook include a Dutch Oven or Cast Iron section?
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

my wife said she will contribute
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

rock-steady wrote:Doc, I got into dutch oven cooking after reading about the "Sixgunner Biscuits" years ago. Now I have 3 camp dutch ovens, 1 domed lid oven for hanging over a fire and a plethora of skillets. Will the cookbook include a Dutch Oven or Cast Iron section?

I had not planned a separate section on Dutch Oven Cooking, but there are a number of recipes intended for Dutch Oven cookery.

To tell the truth, you can cook any recipe in a Dutch Oven. I've even cooked some darned tasty Pound Cakes in my Dutch Oven.

Feel free to contribute your favorite Dutch Oven recipes.

Image Image
UNITE!