Factory hunting loads for an 1894 .357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jahrs
Levergunner 2.0

Factory hunting loads for an 1894 .357

Post by Jahrs »

Has anyone had any experience experimenting with factory .357 ammo and hunting whitetail deer before? Which ammo do you recommend when it comes to performance, accuracy, feeding etc. Has anyone tried Hornadys Leverevolution? Without trying it it would seem to me that it would have good accuracy but performance (lack of expansion) and feeding could be an issue?
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Factory hunting loads for an 1894 .357

Post by ceb »

Well, I can't give you a report on how it works for deer as I can't deer hunt with a rifle in Illinois, but the Federal AE 158gr JSP has performed well out of my Marlin. It feeds smoothly and is very accurate. And it has worked well on yotes and groundhogs.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have some Speer 170gr Gold-Dot flatnose JSP's that feed well in mine, and go through both sides of a whitetail on a heart shot. I have some Federal Hi-Shok ones that are similar-looking but 180 grain, and they've actually fed just fine too in my 1970's vintage Marlin, but I haven't shot at a deer with them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have killed many Midwest Whitetail with Federal 180gr .357 out of a Marlin.
In short range situation, which my deer stand is, that load was a killer. EVERY slug was trapped just under the hide on the exit side, and usually very well intact, about the size of your thumb. The internally damage was tremendous.
All were behind the shoulder, soft tissue shots, in those situations I had no need to go through the shoulder.
In my state now, the legal limit on rifles is 900 ft-lbs of energy at 100yds, which leaves the .357 out. DON"T get me started on that, I already went through my tirade last week with NGPC official.

My recommendation to you would be the Fed 180gr. I never tried the Speer 170, but that would be another I would try. I personnally think the 158gr a bit too small for me.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kid Cossack
Levergunner

Post by Kid Cossack »

Hobie:

Thanks for posting that link. I hadn't read that article in a few years, and it was nice to go back to.
Not all who wander are lost.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Marlin32 wrote:In my state now, the legal limit on rifles is 900 ft-lbs of energy at 100yds, which leaves the .357 out. DON"T get me started on that, I already went through my tirade last week with NGPC official
You might want to consider Buffalo Bore's 158grn load. Their tests confirm a MV of 2,153fps with their 158grn bullet out of an 18.5" Marlin. When you plug that into Handloads.com's Ballistics Calculator, it reports a ME as follows:

Muzzle = 1,626lb/ft
50yds = 1,300lb/ft
100yds = 1,039lb/ft

That means that using that ammo, you are well above your state's requirements and as noted above, 158grn bullets do well in your state's sized deer.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There is very little out there in the midwest that the Buffalo Bore 180 WFN (1800+fps) won't kill.

Dig around in the archives for my MN Buck Kill at 110yds... and the tremendous damage that bullet caused.

I like it so much I load a duplicate.

Heavier is almost always better than faster...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Mon May 31, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My .357 Rossi was used last Fall to drop a whitetail @ 80yds, using factory 158gr JSP ammo - IIRC, my son used Federal.

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Well, maybe I need to dust off the old Marlin 357!! I loved the gun, but not so sure my eyes will like it anymore! Could put a scope on it I guess.
Got me all hot and bothered about buying a 45 colt rifle again. Thanks guys.

But right now I have Elk and Moose on the brain.

Still fishing around on maybe a new Elk and Moose gun. Don't need one, have a BLR 308, but can always use new gun.
Was thinking about the Marlin 338, I like the caliber and ballistics, but I am not sold on the "terminal performance" of that Hornady bullet!!

Sorry got off topic. Those 357 numbers are impressive, so are the 45 colt numbers.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I wish Jerry Lester was still around, he'd have volumes to say about this subject! :(
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

If your 1894 is anything like my 1894 it may be a little fussy about feeding... while mine has loosened up some with use, it is still far more reliable feeding 158gr JSP loads than ANYTHING else.... FAR more reliable....

Further, mine feeds the Sellier & Bellot .357 158gr JSP more reliably than any of the other 158gr JSPs I have tried (American Eagle, Buffalo Bore, etc.). I believe this is due to the narrower face of the S&B bullets as compared to the others... if you hold an S&B 158gr JSP next to an AE or other, you'll see that the angle from the base to the face is far sharper... given the nature of how my 1894 feeds, this makes it a much more reliable choice as the S&Bs just don't ever get hung up on the lip of the chamber.

Plus, although some folks warned me against relying on S&B I have had 100% ignition and the brass has proven to be completely reloadable (though not by me). Its also a fairly stout load, and one I plan on trying during upstate deer season this year.

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
gyrhed
Levergunner

Post by gyrhed »

ceb wrote:Well, I can't give you a report on how it works for deer as I can't deer hunt with a rifle in Illinois, but the Federal AE 158gr JSP has performed well out of my Marlin. It feeds smoothly and is very accurate. And it has worked well on yotes and groundhogs.
This is an excellent loading in my CB. I get sub one inch groups with a tang mounted peep. I have never killed a derr but teh soft flat point seems to mushroom well. I killed a large racoon with this round from a 4 inch S&W once and the exit wound looked more like an '06 than what I though the 357 would do.

I think this would be my preffered loading for deer from the factory. I would be afraid the HPs would be built to lightly to penetrate if needed and I am sure this bullet would.
Jahrs
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jahrs »

I just purchased this lever less than a week ago and I cannot believe that I waited this long to buy one. The weight, balance and lack of recoil (38 special) is amazing. Haven't shot any .357's yet. The guy I bought it from (off of GB) said he hunted hogs with it a few times then put it in his safe and has been there ever since unfired for 29 years.
Thanks again for all of the info.