THANK YOU Williams Sight Co.!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

THANK YOU Williams Sight Co.!!!

Post by Stump Buster »

I stripped out the elevation set screw on my Williams FP sight yesterday while sighting in my 1895 Ltd.II. Called Willaims Sight Co. today with the intent to purchase a replacement. I was forwarded to "Steve" and he will be sending the replacement screw. When I asked if they accepted Visa, he said, "Don't worry about it, I'll just send you the screw."

Even though the part was small, it will still take some time away from Steve's day to package it up and it will cost Williams a small amount to ship it, so the least I could do was give them a Big public THANK YOU for their Customer Service!!!

so....

Thanks "Steve" at Williams!!!!

Mike
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: THANK YOU Williams Sight Co.!!!

Post by Pete44ru »

That is exactly why I've always bought my Williams sight products directly from Williams Gun Sight Co, ILO from some middleman like Brownell's or MidwayUSA.

FWIW, I've had their sight pusher tool since 1975, and it's STILL working almost weekly for either me or one of my friends, w/o issue !

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Stump Buster,

Yours is about the third or fourth post about stripping out those tiny lock screws I've seen.

For those who have or are considering a Williams FP sight all you need to do it tighten the lock screws finger tight with an tiny, itsy bitsy screw driver. That is all they need.
This is covered in the instruction sheet that comes with the sights.
At least it used to be covered in there, the last instruction sheet I have was printed in 85.

Lest you think I'm bragging I been using Williams FP sights for oh somewhere around like 40 years or so. Never stripped one.

And Stump Buster, if you don't have an owners manual I can email you one. Just let me know. Any body else too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

WOW ! 40 years, and I think I am old. :wink:

Have a nice day Joe. :lol: :lol: :lol:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Yours is about the third or fourth post about stripping out those tiny lock screws I've seen.
For those who have or are considering a Williams FP sight all you need to do it tighten the lock screws finger tight with an tiny, itsy bitsy screw driver. That is all they need. This is covered in the instruction sheet that comes with the sights.
Joe, I think someone at Williams answered me this years ago but I've forgotten, or more likely didn't understand their answer, but was too embarrassed to admit it. . . but HOW do those screws actually work? I assumed they had a spring under them and a tiny ball bearing which impinged on detents in the adjustment screw(s), but after one fell out and I couldn't find said spring/bearing, I took the other one out and nothing but air under it... :?:

So, I guess the detent mechanism is elsewhere (under the adjustment screw head?), but that leaves the question of what to those little screws do? I can see if they were really tightened they'd serve to lock the adjustment screws, but when just in 'semi-snug', what do they do, and how? Is all they do put a little bit of friction on the adjustment screws...?

It seems like the MAIN thing they do is fall out if I don't put a bit of locktite on them... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

J Miller wrote:Stump Buster,

Yours is about the third or fourth post about stripping out those tiny lock screws I've seen.

And Stump Buster, if you don't have an owners manual I can email you one. Just let me know. Any body else too.

Joe
Thanks Joe,

The sight came with another rifle, so I'm not sure if it was me or some pre-indiced stress from prior installations (at least I didn't think I was mashing on it). A manual would be great...although I filed the sight down so it's pretty much set now!!! Thanks for the offer!!! I'll send a PM with my e-mail address!!!

AJMD429....Mine didn't have any springs either, I think it's just extra friction against the elevation/windage screws to keep them from moving (But again, this was a used sight from another gun deal, so I could be wrong).

THANKS AGAIN,

Stump
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Stump, AJMD,

I sent both of you the instructions via attachment. They are pretty big so I'm hoping my email server and dial up will do it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I had a similar experience with a Lyman 66LA bought from Brownells. On turning the elevation knob it snapped off the elevation screw at the set screw hole. Brownells directed me to Lyman who replaced the complete sight, telling me NOT to return the defective one.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

AJMD429 Those little screws do just jam the main adjustment screw to prevent movement. No need to crank on them at all.

The one that I striped out was the elevation gib screw on the side. The screw that comes with them only engages a thread or two. Williams replaced the base for free and I installed a proper length screw from Brownells to get several threads engagement. A bag of 10 was only a couple bux. :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Always great to hear about a company standing behind what it sells, and jumping when a customer calls. Excellent! 8)