Early Marlin 39A and High Velocity 22 Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Early Marlin 39A and High Velocity 22 Ammo

Post by Pop Watts »

High there, wondering if I could get some advise.

Just bought a Marlin 39A made in 1960. I am yet to get the paperwork sorted so I can pick it up.

A question I have is can I shoot High Velocity ammo through this rifle?

I have an 1897 that I only shoot low velocity through and am not sure if it is OK to shoot high velocity through all Model 39's or only later manufactured ones.

Intended using Winchester Powerpoints.

Thanks,

Pop.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Early Marlin 39A and High Velocity 22 Ammo

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to have a Marlin Mountie, originally bought new in Australia about 1960, both the original owner and myself used nothing but high velocity ammo including a few CCI Stingers, never had a problem.
I wish I still had it.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Thanks Gamekeeper,

I think it is only the old 1897's that cannot handle the HV ammo, but wanted to check.

Those Mounties are great, I have one that still has the Marlin sticker on the front timber, but it was made in the 80's I think.

Pop.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pop, I agree, the Mounties are great little guns!
The one I had belonged to a writer and film director I used to work for, when he decided to sell his firearms he gave me first offer on the Marlin. Knowing they were going for £150.00 at the time and being skint, I said I'd love it but couldn't afford it, he said "what" I only want £25.00 :o , so when I regained consciousness and picked myself up off the floor we struck the deal.

Dumb thing was, years later I traded it for a Winchester 9422M, another great gun but I should have kept that little carbine. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Any Marlin rimfire levergun made after 1932 can handle HV ammo. The 1891, 92, 97, and the pre-"HS" prefix 39(no A) had a bolt that is/was too weak, to handle the pressure.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

You can also replace the old '97 bolt with a newer Model 39 bolt to shoot HV .22 LRs. Standard velocity stuff is considerably more expensive these days that HV .22s.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln