OT - Anyone like playing with snakes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Anyone like playing with snakes

Post by kimwcook »

Was over at the sister and BIL's this afternoon celebrating Mother's Day and my Mother's Bday. Found a bullsnake. I've always loved playing with snakes. It's hard to beat the adrenaline rush you get picking up a rattlesnake. This one is about four feet long. A bit skinny, but it's early spring.

Oh, it's alive. I don't believe in nonchalantly killing the best pest killer there is.

Old Law Dawg
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Anyone like playing with snakes

Post by gak »

Speaking of great pest killers, in Arizona our bullsnakes (and our California Kings too) are great rattler killers :-)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't mind snakes in general. About the only time they give me concern is when they are rattle snakes sleeping in the flower garden right by the front steps.

We've found two small blackish snakes here in IL. No idea what they are. We caught one, one of our cats caught the other. In AZ we saw a bunch of different ones though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

J Miller wrote:I don't mind snakes in general. About the only time they give me concern is when they are rattle snakes sleeping in the flower garden right by the front steps.

We've found two small blackish snakes here in IL. No idea what they are. We caught one, one of our cats caught the other. In AZ we saw a bunch of different ones though.

Joe
There's a spot here in SoCal that has a black subspecies of rattler
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I don't mind snakes in general, as long as I know where they are. LOL, we've got a large black snake that I've had to take out of the shop at Mom's several times as he's gotten too friendly with people working on things, Mom's even gotten to where she just throws a floor pad at him. The other non-poisonious one's that Mom doesn't kill get a free ride from me, they're the best mouse prevention there is. Venomous ones are toast, too many kids and small dogs at Mom's to allow them to stay in the yard.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Snakes don't bother me. Now spiders, that's another story! :shock:

Mrs. YK, on the other hand, things that anything the size of a fat earthworm and up is a snake, and she runs for the hills if she sees one - over over, through, and around anyone in her path! :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nothing really bothers me, but I hate surprises (and they always surprise you :oops: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I love playing with them and typically don't do anything to them, though I have collected a few rattlers with the bow, but that is another story for a different day.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The only snake I ever liked had already been through the Nocona boot factory, and looked mighty fine at my wedding. I don't like snakes so much I all but regret killin wild hogs, but not quite. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Playing with Rattlesnakes etc.(ones with venoum)---------Dude, you have to be crazy!(just my opinion)
http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

Here is the problem----even if you have been bitten before and survive it(along with keeping both arms/legs)
The next time the body can react totally different and you can loose an arm/Leg and that could be if your lucky.(like you could croak)
Don't mind non-venoumous ones a bit.
I would rather play with a loaded gun(which I wouldn't)before playing with a rattlesnake!
I like my limbs/life, thank you very much! :roll:
I consider myself to be quite fast handed(but not that fast)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was listening to NPR Sat. AM and they had a news piece about Taylor, Tx where they were having their annual snake sacking contest. The first two man team to get 10 rattlers in their sack wins.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Spiders and Snakes are good with me,we have lot's of big Rattler's in the Milk River area on the Montana border and garder snakes and some type of water snake that used to live near my home on the Bow River but it has been over 20 years since I seen one of them big snakes in the water. Have know idea what it was but it was big almost black. Now Yellow jackets and hornets that is another story they hate me and I hate them always have a can of brake cleaner to kill them with you. Must be something about me, I know I am a sweet guy lol, but gee they will go right after me and leave my friends alone? No sudden movement or anything I did, they just do not like me! Yet I am good with Bees?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Regarding the post about the sacking contest in Texas,
rtsp://v4.cache1.c.youtube.com/CkELENy73wIaOAkMGVvIxFV7nRMYESARFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoWglDbGlja0xpbmtgkanAqoC0xOhLDA==/0/0/0/video.3gp

These guys are nuts, but a good opportunity to get rid of a lot of rattlers! Hope they don't re-release them. Ugh. Want rodent control, get some king or bull snakes!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I don't want to get bit by any snake, venomous or not.
Old Law Dawg
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Well any snake bit is nasty and prone to infection (get it looked at ASAP) but I agree with the OP that non-venomous snakes are fantastic vermin predators.

Rattlers get the boot around my house (I've got kids) but other snakes are big friends of ours.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

interesting timing on this topic, my FL pal just sent me this story just an hour ago about a rattler found last October ......

pictures at the website:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/most ... ovider=top
ST. AUGUSTINE, FL -- A venomous snake over seven feet long was discovered in a neighborhood over the weekend.
It was an eastern diamondback rattlesnake that measured 7 feet, 3 inches in length. According to the University of Florida, the record size for that type of snake is 8 feet, so this was definitely a large snake.
Homeowner Howard McGaffney saw the snake on the perimeter of his neighborhood .....

more here:
http://www.news4jax.com/news/21162885/detail.html#

Cheers and Chills,

Carl
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I don't play with snakes. I don't like snakes. I am not afraid of them, but do avoid them if possible. I don't kill harmsless snakes nor even rattlers unless the rattlers are on my turf. If they are on my turf, they are gonners.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

That Florida rattler is precisely 7'3" too long!! Brrr.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

In Tasmania tiger snakes have mutated to have very big heads so that they can feed on mutton bird chicks.

It is not so much the length of a snake that gets me as the size of its head.

Know what you mean about them sunning themselves on flower beds outside the front door. Have a friend here who ripped up a flower bed because it was attracting tiger snakes to the back door- bit scary as thats where he pulls off his boots.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I went out this afternoon late to feed the chickens and there was an indigo snake slithering away from the pen. Anybody know if when you see one around the chickens they are always there to steal the eggs?

I've liver here 30 years and never have seen a rattler so I hate to mess with the indigos, but if they're stealing eggs??? I wonder how many eggs one could eat?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

We have had snakes around for as long as I can remember. All the kids caught snakes of various harmless species, usually garter, gopher, or king snakes. Occasionally, we would find a stray rubber boa, ringneck or tiny sharptail to carry around. Rubber boas will wrap around your wrist and remain there motionless for hours. :) Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Don't know about the eggs, but that Indigo may indeed be good anti-rattler defense!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Here's an interesting read about how a photographer can (over)emphasize the size of the snake with photographic techniques, whether intentionally or unintentionally:
http://davidasteen.blogspot.com/2009/07 ... snake.html

Cheers,

Carl
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mike, that boa is too cool.
Old Law Dawg
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

I have caught and played with snakes since I was a small child growing up in El Paso. Still like to do it at 49. Caught a diamond back to keep it from being run over for no good reason by another hunter on our lease and while I was walking carrying it toward the brush he opened fire with his Glock!

I threw the snake and just hoped it lived and had some not so nice words with Ol George. We got back to the cabin and he told everyone how crazy I was for catching a snake. This from the guy that started shooting at the snake I was holding! :lol:
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

kimwcook wrote:Mike, that boa is too cool.
Kim, rubber boas are small, seldom exceeding 2 1/2' in length. They inhabit the cooler regions and our mountain cabin, at 4500' is perfect habitat for them. The kids are always dragging them back, especially at night when they are most active. They are very calm, and even the littlest of out grandkids love them. Seeing the 4 yr old wearing a rubber boa "wristband" into the store is priceless, especially when she explains to the customers what she has is a living reptile. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Markbo wrote:I have caught and played with snakes since I was a small child growing up in El Paso. Still like to do it at 49. Caught a diamond back to keep it from being run over for no good reason by another hunter on our lease and while I was walking carrying it toward the brush he opened fire with his Glock!

I threw the snake and just hoped it lived and had some not so nice words with Ol George. We got back to the cabin and he told everyone how crazy I was for catching a snake. This from the guy that started shooting at the snake I was holding! :lol:
-----
Ol George was wrong, that still doesn't mean you're not crazy :-)
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

In Aus you dont play with any of the snakes, only a very few are harmless, the others all pack a wopping venom, the red bellied black will kill a child and make an adult very sick for a few days. The other common killers are just that if you stumble on them, king brown snakes, tiger, taipan, eastern brown the list is pretty near endless most will give you a half hour or an hour to get help, otherwise your brownbread. The browns and taipan will not always shy away, they can cover two to three yards when angry in a fraction of a second resulting in alot of people who go after them with a shovel ending up in deep poo. Unless you know your snakes walk away if you dont have a 12g at hand. The various pythons are welcome though, they have a lovely habit of turning rats into dung, which is great, not so good if they get in the chook pen though.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Got an "A" grade in a high school science class for 6 weeks by bringing in a live copperhead in a jar. When I walked into the house with the snake in my hands and ask my mother for a jar she went into hysterics and peed on the kitchen floor. I never handled copperheads but twice (lost my nerve in later life) and the only thing that bit me was a 5 ft blacksnake. I was holding him and not paying attention and he nailed me inside the wrist. That was a bloody mess!
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Don't have any snakes Kim, but do have a few blue tongue lizards :mrgreen:

Heres a quick video of what can happen when the camera lense may look a little tasty..im just glad my camera was ok! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lafCc2dXGE

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Kim, cool picture. Had a few scares from those in the past. Seem to enjoy warming up in areas I like to frequent. Sunny spots on the trail, all coiled up - gets the heart rate racing. Saw a bunch of them last year around my place.

Mike D, found one of those not far from my place. Cool critters. Might try making a bracelet next time.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You Oz brothers have it pretty tough down there. I've watched more than enough specials about the most venomous snakes in the world and you guys have quite a few on the list. I used to watch Steve Irwin alot, crazy bloke. Sorry he's not around anymore. He'd lie down face to face with Browns, Taipans, etc.. I used to just cringe waiting for him to get bit.
Old Law Dawg
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Yeah I suppose we have a few nasties! I do worry about the wriggle sticks when hunting sambar during the warmer months. Ive only seen about half a dozen tiger snakes out sambar stalking. Seen a couple of red bellied blacks and taipans. I just watch where I put my feet and hope for the best :mrgreen:
Most of the time they are gone before you even see them anyway.
yeah good old Steve Irwin, play with fire you gonna get burned. Shame he is gone though.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

We had lots of copperheads, blacksnakes, and a few Kingsnakes when I was a kid. We raised chickens, so snakes were bad news, in the chickenhouse. I would usually get a Kingsnake on a hoe and take it, out away somewhere and let it go, but we usually killed everything else.

I don't panic when I see a snake, and I usually don't kill them out in the woods, or fields, unless it's a copperhead, and I am sorry, but I always kill them. I don't like snakes, and I don't intend to pick up a live one, but I can kill a snake and then pick it up. So, if anyone wants me to pickup a snake, I can do it, but that is after I send it to it's happy hunting grounds.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

That seems to be very common... that the best snake is a dead snake. I have to tell you... I don't get it. I just don't understand why people fear them so. There are lots and lots and lots of dangerous animals in the world and everyone doesn't go around killing them.

Hey I know! What about a brown recluse spider round up? We could catch all we find, then torture them to death. Won't that just be a gas! :roll:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Markbo wrote:That seems to be very common... that the best snake is a dead snake. I have to tell you... I don't get it. I just don't understand why people fear them so. There are lots and lots and lots of dangerous animals in the world and everyone doesn't go around killing them.

Hey I know! What about a brown recluse spider round up? We could catch all we find, then torture them to death. Won't that just be a gas! :roll:
------
Because they can either kill you or your loved ones or really, really ruin your day just for walking around and "innocently" stepping in the wrong spot. You might say the same thing about cougars, bobcats, bears and the like, but that's apples and oranges. Other than the increased big cat sightings in some urbanized areas because of draught or territory disruptions, generally most of the four-legged dangerous types are fairly reclusive or avoided by more obvious avoidance behavior on your (or their!) part in their neck 'o the woods. The nasty no-leggeds (talking venomous here) are a different story altogether. Even granting that *most* don't want anything to do with you, their very nature of being on the ground, not in your normal plane of sight and oftentimes hidden from view makes happenstance encounters much more likely. Campgrounds, trails, under bushes, by the otherwise innocent trout creek you're laz'ing the day away at, or under your danged front porch on an otherwise nice springtime day. That's why :-) No thanks.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Markbo wrote:That seems to be very common... that the best snake is a dead snake. I have to tell you... I don't get it. I just don't understand why people fear them so. There are lots and lots and lots of dangerous animals in the world and everyone doesn't go around killing them.
14 So the LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this,
"Cursed are you above all the livestock
and all the wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.

15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring [a] and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel."

I try to avoid things God has cursed! :lol:
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

Well then shouldn't we all just start stringing up Pit Bulls and criminals and start torturing them to death? The fact you don't pay attention to where you are walking in the woods is no excuse in my book to destroy entire populations.
Unless of course the idea is to the round up and torture all the varmints that will inevitably prosper from the snakes' absense.

Just because an animal is dangerous is NO excuse to torture them to death. Hell cows and horses are responsible for human deaths... string 'em up by the light poles and skin them alive!

Under your front porch is an entirely different circumstance that out in the brush. I have been playing outdoors from the deserts of El Paso to the Piney woods to everything in between for 45 years and have never been bitten by a venomous snake even though I handle them.

Because I am not afraid, they get to live. All of God's creatures have a place in His plan and just because some snake fearing Isrealite wrote that the Lord spoketh, doesn't He really did.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

In this part of TX we have all kinds of snakes - most of them beneficial, non-venemouse types. The bad ones are the rattlers, copperheads (most agressive vipers), cottonmouths and coral snakes. The most agressive snake overall seems to be the rat or chicken snake which rears up, hisses and attacks. I like em :) The diamondback water snakes are also quite agressive and the coach whips can be too. There are probably 30 types of snakes in this area from little grey blind snakes (live in the detritus of the forest floor) on up to the biggest rattlers.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Markbo wrote:Well then shouldn't we all just start stringing up Pit Bulls and criminals and start torturing them to death? The fact you don't pay attention to where you are walking in the woods is no excuse in my book to destroy entire populations.
Unless of course the idea is to the round up and torture all the varmints that will inevitably prosper from the snakes' absense.

Just because an animal is dangerous is NO excuse to torture them to death. Hell cows and horses are responsible for human deaths... string 'em up by the light poles and skin them alive!

Under your front porch is an entirely different circumstance that out in the brush. I have been playing outdoors from the deserts of El Paso to the Piney woods to everything in between for 45 years and have never been bitten by a venomous snake even though I handle them.

Because I am not afraid, they get to live. All of God's creatures have a place in His plan and just because some snake fearing Isrealite wrote that the Lord spoketh, doesn't He really did.
-----
Hmmm, interesting extreme response. Don't recall saying anyone torture anything. I certainly didn't. Yes, it does sound like a good idea to get rid of Pits and criminals!!--as in entirely away from being able to harm anyone else. But torture? No. If a venomous critter is encountered going about one's normal activities, it is gone, period--no torture involved--and especially if loved ones, including our tail wagging four legged friends, are present. Don't believe in "torturing" anything (national security interests aside). Are you (even remotely) kidding?

You could argue, what are you doing handling them in the first place by the way? (Not my issue by the way, fine with me if someone wants to do that--not my schtick--but you brought it up) Maybe that's "torture" to them. Do you think they like that?
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have been known to pick up a few. I don’t kill them unless they are in bad locations or there are kids around. I watched a Sergeant Major scream like a little girl when a cobra stood up in the grass one time and it lived through it.
The photo was one found while riding on my farm a couple of months ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

gak wrote: -----
Hmmm, interesting extreme response. Don't recall saying anyone torture anything. I certainly didn't.
I brought it up in the context of rattlesnake roundups.
gak wrote: Are you (even remotely) kidding?
Well if you don't know, we are not at all having the same conversation. That whole you can't hear the tone of my voice, etc. Sarcasm often does not translate well in the written form.