My gun show dream.........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

My gun show dream.........

Post by Topside »

Ahhhhhhh the gun show. Went yesterday. Tough to find stuff I want with out walking 5 miles through the great hall only to find powder and bullet prices higher than the local gun shop. Often when I walk up to a guy at a table, he doesn't know prices or he knows he has what I want but he can't find it because he's standing in for the owner who's off somewhere else in the building. Then I get jumped on by someone who looks meaner than Eastwood because I took a picture with my phone so I can remember who had the pistol in case I want to call them later. Now that's the way to make a sale! If taking a picture at a show is prohibited, put up a sign.

My dream would be if weapons and reloading stuff (and other products) could be listed somehow so you could at least find the people who have the goods. So I'm prickly because I walked out and still had the small pocket full of money I went in with which I guess has it's good points. Can't forget the feet. I put mine through a lot for nothin'.

From now on, I'll save a lot of time just heading to the local gun shops. We're fortunate to have several darn good ones here in Central Va. Grumble grumble rant rave done!

Maybe "old and grumpy" has set in on me. Didn't even see it comin'. Thanks for listening.

T.
Last edited by Topside on Sun May 16, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: My gun show dream.........

Post by J Miller »

I know what you mean. There's a gun show in a town near me this weekend and I haven't even made an effort to go. Right now I really can't think of anything I really want bad enough to do all that walking and dodging of others.

I'd rather go shooting.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I haven't gone to a show for a couple years....don't miss it at all.....overpriced "stuff" and lots of sweaters and backpacks :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

BlaineG wrote:I haven't gone to a show for a couple years....don't miss it at all.....overpriced "stuff" and lots of sweaters and backpacks :lol:
Yeah, I know they gotta make money, but I've met an awful lot of fine people to deal with over the net where prices and delivery have been top notch. At shows here, they often have the same old shop worn stuff and they're often out of stock on the same things. Thought I'd pick up a couple hundred 45 Colt brass, but as usual, the 45 Colt bin was empty.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Our own local gunshow is much the same, but if a fellow looks on a constant basis, there ARE good deals. I find little things for a song and a dance, lead, shotshells, sights occasionally are reasonable. Last year I found a 3 screw Ruger 357 in fantastic shape for $250. The very next show I found a like new 24V Savage in 30-30/20 for $325. A couple gunshows ago my wife wanted a single shot 22 rifle. I found a Remington 512 that looks like it was never handled for $80.

While I complain as much or more likely MORE than everyone else about gunshow prices, they do have the occasional really great buy :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

2X22 wrote:Our own local gunshow is much the same, but if a fellow looks on a constant basis, there ARE good deals. I find little things for a song and a dance, lead, shotshells, sights occasionally are reasonable. Last year I found a 3 screw Ruger 357 in fantastic shape for $250. The very next show I found a like new 24V Savage in 30-30/20 for $325. A couple gunshows ago my wife wanted a single shot 22 rifle. I found a Remington 512 that looks like it was never handled for $80.

While I complain as much or more likely MORE than everyone else about gunshow prices, they do have the occasional really great buy :D

2x22
If you ever decide to let go of the 512, please run it by me. My brother and I shared one as kids. It was later stolen from him. I'd dearly love to present him with one in nice shape.

T.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

PA must be really different than VA in terms of gun shows... in my area (SE PA) they're great. We have some that I avoid, like the ones too close to Philly, but the major regional shows I go to regularly (Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society in Allentown and Mid-Atlantic Arms Collectors in Harrisburg) tend to be excellent from my perspective. Prices tend to be lower than in the local gun shops... not without exception, of course, but in general there are many real collectors there as well as folks moving lots of ammo, etc. at decent prices.

We do have some shows that IMO tend to attract the gougers, but I've made great deals even at those.

Plus, I occasionally meet folks from the forum here at these shows... just recently Noah Zark and I met up at the FDHAS show, put faces (and real names) to "names", BS'd for a bit, etc.

Me... I love the gun shows... especially the little hole-in-the-wall ones that cater to locals... its a venue I'm afraid my grandkids may not have the benefit of enjoying, and I get out to them as often as I can!

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

This past weekend was the CO collectors show, no modern guns or black guns, jerky, nic nacks or ammo/primers/powders allowed. LOTS of colts winchesters and marlins for SHOW not for sale at least not at the prices they had on them! Lots of people who looked at stuff admitted they had no money or needed to sell something before the could buy your stuff. I had a table and try to be polite to everyone regardless as they walk by, you just never know who will pull out the cash.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

My local show has really become a source of disappointment in the last few years. Sometimes I don't even try to go anymore. About the only thing I buy is reloading supplies and there is only one vendor who has them and he is only there about half the time. It now costs $7 per adult toget in. I know that they have to cover the cost of the show but I think that is a little high. I have not bought a gun at the show in a few years and it was not from a dealer but an individual. It was a Marlin Guidegun 45/70 that was like new for $275. I later sold it for a fair profit after killing a few deer with it. The last show we went as a family so it cost too much and all I bought was a pound of powder. I hope they get better for I have not given up yet.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

I enjoy having a table at gun shows. You get all kinds in front of the table, including (inevitably) the "my granpaw killed 37 deer with one a them old hammer guns like that one, (pointing to a Rolling Block)....and then proceeds to tell you the history of Grandpaw. I have bought bargains, and I have sold bargains. I will admit the last couple of years the shows have gotten worse, because excessive prices seem the norm (and I quote "trading prices" myself)...want it cheaper? offer me cash instead of trying to trade me that Stevens .22 that spent the last 57 years as a barn or granary gun. :lol: High prices-yep- some of those guys really believe that Gun Traders Guide, and those initials carved into the stock don't reduce the value, and that wolf's head (or is it a rat?) is really a work of art and doubles the value of that slightly rusty 94 Winny. I still enjoy gun shows if they are not too crowded, but I don't like the "flea market" setups selling candy, popcorn, jewelry, chinese toys, spices and such. I hope they last forever!
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Not to be contrary, but I go to every gun show we have here in my area, which is the little Melbourne, FL gun show. Even when I don't have much money to spend - which is too often - I go to support a local gun show. Hey, it ticks off the anti-gunners; for that alone it's worth the $ 5 entry fee.

The main benefit of gun shows to regular shooters is being able to buy a couple thousand primers, or some powder, and not have to pay hazmat fees.

One thing that I started to notice about ten years ago was that a number of dealers were setting up and selling their wares for top dollar. That's the exact opposite of what we used to see at gun shows in years gone by. The best that I can figure is that alot of these guys are there to take advantage of newbies. And with the increase in new gun owners in the last year and a half, there are admittedly more of these gougers.

But, as several have noted here, if you're willing to poke around you can still be pleasantly surprised from time to time. My 2 pennies worth. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
gyrhed
Levergunner

Post by gyrhed »

Every gun owner should support gun shows. Reason Freedom and excersize of your 2nd admendment rights. At least go once in a while. Up until internet gun auctions it was the only way an idividual could sell a used firearm for anywhere near what it was actually worth. When I was a young man they were not nearly as prevalent. If you took a used 1911 into a shop to try to trade or sell you would get an offer of like $100 when new sold for $350. I bought my first like new in box 1911 for $250 at the first guns show I ever atteneded in 1980. We both got a good deal and walked away happy. If he had sold it to a shop he would have gotten $100 and if I had bought it at a shop I would have been out at least $300- 350.

If you have a gunstore in youir area that you go to look but never buy because they are so high priced you wonder who the people are that buy their guns? Stand around and listen long enough and someone work their will start bad mouthing guns shows and how their gunsmith sees all the dregs that people buy from shows, trying to scare the buyer into buying from them for an extra $200.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

gyrhed wrote:Every gun owner should support gun shows. Reason Freedom and excersize of your 2nd admendment rights. At least go once in a while. Up until internet gun auctions it was the only way an idividual could sell a used firearm for anywhere near what it was actually worth. When I was a young man they were not nearly as prevalent. If you took a used 1911 into a shop to try to trade or sell you would get an offer of like $100 when new sold for $350. I bought my first like new in box 1911 for $250 at the first guns show I ever atteneded in 1980. We both got a good deal and walked away happy. If he had sold it to a shop he would have gotten $100 and if I had bought it at a shop I would have been out at least $300- 350.

If you have a gunstore in youir area that you go to look but never buy because they are so high priced you wonder who the people are that buy their guns? Stand around and listen long enough and someone work their will start bad mouthing guns shows and how their gunsmith sees all the dregs that people buy from shows, trying to scare the buyer into buying from them for an extra $200.
I still go to the local show every now and then. Used to be I looked forward to the shows and if there was one within four hours driving time I was there, that was in the day of $0.35 a gallon gas and $2-3 gate fees. Table fees were $10-20 per and every small town had shows at the NG armory. If the show was close, within a hundred miles, I'd probably have a table or two. I've seen pre-64 Winchester rifles traded for a good pump shotgun because the farmer couldn't see far enough to use the rifle anymore and wanted a shotgun, everyone left happy. Gunshows were a social event too back in those days with various organizations selling soda's, sandwiches and baked goods for charities and most of us die hards stayed around all day chewing the fat. I bought and traded a lot of guns at these shows and made a lot of friends. Then the "dealers" got involved and prices skyrocketed.

There aren't near as many local shows anymore. The NG armories can't allow gunshows, at least in my state, anymore. Table prices run from $50-75 per, I understand the big Tulsa Wanamaker show they're $100+, and gate fees are $7-10 bucks a head. Most of the used guns are priced at new gun prices plus 25%. A hamburger worth a dollar cost five and a 50 cent drink cost $3.00 and all the concessions are run by people with contracts, a buddy of mine was told he couldn't give away free popcorn at the last local show because of the vendor's contract. Nowadays by the time you pay the gas to drive there, gate fees and lunch I could have easily bought a brick of .22LR at the local WallyWorld or gunshop.

Anymore if I go to a show it's on the last day in the afternoon. That's when the best cash deals are made by "dealers" trying to pay expenses. I know this irritates a lot of folks, but they're in the business to make money and I'm looking for the best deal I can get. Simply the rules of the game now and if they don't want to sell that's okay too.

(sigh) I sure do miss the old days.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I like getting there when the door opens, if I can. Sometimes I can find some pretty good bargains on tables. Was at Tulsa a year ago and came on a table with bags of used 45-70 brass for $7/100, bought all 4 and a bag of 30-30 brass for $10 that had about 250 in it. About 3 years ago, picked up 11 boxes of Hornady 150gr 30 cal bullets for $5 a box.

Every once in awhile, a deal just falls in your lap. Was in our small show and a guy walks by with a Colt Ace 22 for sale. Had been looking at conversions for my 45 and a guy had an Ace conversion kit on his table for $499. Needless to say, I bought the complete gun for less than the conversion kit price. Sometimes the "blind squirrel" does good!

Most guns are overpriced, I agree, but also have found some really good buys. Also like to wait until Sunday, usually after noon, then can get some deals. Sometimes, but sometimes the "deals" have already been bought. I can be just a stuff shoot sometimes

On think that "burns" me about larger shows, mainly the Tulsa one is where I see it, is when you have a group with tables, and one guy stands by the front door with his walkie-talkie, communicating with the table, to buy guns that people bring in to sell. They buy them then raise the price 50% and stick them on their table. You or I, walking the show, seldom get the chance to get a decent deal. If that guy with the ACE had been at Tulsa, I would never have seen it for less than $900
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I go to gun shows every once in a while for entertainment. I certainly don't expect to find good deals. However, you can find things that are hard to find on-line...

I do most all of my shopping on-line anymore and buy in bulk to spread the hazmat fee out. That's the best deal going on primers and propellant.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I went to the show this weekend in Orlando. I paid the $9 entry fee and picked up two pounds of powder and some medium height rings for grooved 22 receivers. I do like the BBQ and such at our local show, but I usually only go to every other show since most of the stuff is the same with the same vendors displaying.

One thing I noted at this recent show was a message that any purchase of a firearm would require a C.C.W. permit or a background check from an FFL to take possession. It was labeled as a new Orange County ordinance. Apparently, they are trying to close the "gun show loophole" on their own. I assume that private sales were still excepted from the requirement but not positive.

There was a good bit of reloaded ammo at the show ... even .380 ACP. Primers were generally available for $40-$45. Not many Federal primers but there were plenty of the other brands including lot of Wolf.

I saw one gun that I liked ... a Schultz & Larsen Model 54. There was also a nice looking Winchester 88 in .308 but for twice what one would expect to pay for one.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.